300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nyk20z3 View Post
    How would i go about applying for a position with BOP?, and i am assuming they honor Veteran preference since its a Federal job ?
    BOP isn't hiring externals anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by myman12 View Post

BOP isn't hiring externals anytime soon.
      BOP is hiring new folks it's just more intermittent than it's been. It's been covered here several times. Each institution has to be in the 89% Manning before they can pull a list. My complex went almost a year from the last class they hired before they froze the spots to starting 5 vets this week.

If someone was to ask where to apply if you want to try and get on quick I say Yazoo City is your best bet. They have had issues activating the new USP there because Manning and they just sent out an announcement for 15 LT spots with a bonus.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

BOP is hiring new folks it's just more intermittent than it's been. It's been covered here several times. Each institution has to be in the 89% Manning before they can pull a list. My complex went almost a year from the last class they hired before they froze the spots to starting 5 vets this week.

If someone was to ask where to apply if you want to try and get on quick I say Yazoo City is your best bet. They have had issues activating the new USP there because Manning and they just sent out an announcement for 15 LT spots with a bonus.
        At this rate we might as well wait unto the next hiring announcement in March. Hopefully soon the Federal budget will be approved to hire more besides focusing on Manning.

Comment

At this rate we might as well wait unto the next hiring announcement in March. Hopefully soon the Federal budget will be approved to hire more besides focusing on Manning.
          Waiting is silly being it's an open continuous announcement. You never k ow when they will get permission to pull a list. People retire and promote out on a moment's notice.

Like I mentioned if I was needing to get in quick (say before a age cut off etc) I'd go for Yazoo City. Otherwise other FCCs could or could bot be a wait. If your trying for an old school stand alone like Texarkana you can forget it.

Comment

Waiting is silly being it's an open continuous announcement. You never k ow when they will get permission to pull a list. People retire and promote out on a moment's notice.

Like I mentioned if I was needing to get in quick (say before a age cut off etc) I'd go for Yazoo City. Otherwise other FCCs could or could bot be a wait. If your trying for an old school stand alone like Texarkana you can forget it.
            The USP and FCI at Florence are both horrendously understaffed in the correctional services department. Mandatory OT has been a nightmare for over a year, especially from MW to DW.

Comment

• I’m can verify that Yazoo is active as I got referred there. Not exactly my first choice but I really am trying to beat the age requirement I had originally tried at Florence with no luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by 17Jeep View Post
                I’m can verify that Yazoo is active as I got referred there. Not exactly my first choice but I really am trying to beat the age requirement I had originally tried at Florence with no luck!
                When my joint was a stand alone homestead USP unless you were Military it was hard to get on so several staff got on wherever and then lateraled "Home" at their year mark.

Sometimes you just have to improvise

Comment

• Originally posted by 17Jeep View Post
                  I’m can verify that Yazoo is active as I got referred there. Not exactly my first choice but I really am trying to beat the age requirement I had originally tried at Florence with no luck!
                  When did you get referred there? Would I be able to get process somewhere close if the facility i apply to is far?

Comment

• 17Jeep
                    17Jeep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I applied when I got the email they sent out. I got referred on 10/17 sometime in November they sent me preliminary paperwork. I then was interviewed and received a conditional offer on 12/5 and I filled my eqip on 12/22. I’m now just awaiting an entry date which will hopefully be soon but hard to say as the government is slow lol. As far as your other other comment when I contacted them I asked for a courtesy interview as I’m closer to FCI La Tuna and Florence but they turned me down and told me it needed to be at Yazoo so I dunno every facility is different.

When did you get referred there? Would I be able to get process somewhere close if the facility i apply to is far?
                  You can request a courtesy interview. So say you get referred for Victorville (just an example) and live in Dallas Texas you can have your courtesy interview at Seagoville. People do it and get hired all the time.

Comment

• Well I decided to change my preference to Yazoo since they are hiring, even though I live in New York State. I know it might be a long shot but if they need people, they might just pick me up and I will travel if I have to.

Comment

• what is the most desired job within BOP?

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
                        what is the most desired job within BOP?
                        Whoa, that depends upon many many factors to include but not limited to prior employment, education level, location, personality, gender, aptitude, and so on. For me, unit manager because they get paid the same as the captain but with a better schedule (i.e. four day work week, 10 hours per day).
                        Last edited by Trax_XLT; 01-13-2018, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• JohnnyUtah1989
                          JohnnyUtah1989 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’d like to add the fact that a Unit Manager has 1/4 of the responsibility/stress that a captain has.

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
                        what is the most desired job within BOP?
                        The best and most powerful job in BOP is a GS 8 step 10 Officer with seniority. They get what shift, job, days off, vacation, O/T and doesn't have to do what they don't want to. LTs have to work where the Capt wants with no say so, CAPT get jumped by admin about every day. Good Capts don't pass the stupid down. Bad ones knee jerk and pass the chewing to LTs.

Also being at a joint with lots of O/T GS 8s make more than GS 13 Capts and a lot of GS 14 AW's

Comment

The best and most powerful job in BOP is a GS 8 step 10 Officer with seniority. They get what shift, job, days off, vacation, O/T and doesn't have to do what they don't want to. LTs have to work where the Capt wants with no say so, CAPT get jumped by admin about every day. Good Capts don't pass the stupid down. Bad ones knee jerk and pass the chewing to LTs.

Also being at a joint with lots of O/T GS 8s make more than GS 13 Capts and a lot of GS 14 AW's
                          True, but I believe the most senior Lt's at least get the shift they want half of the time, according to the good ol' boys club.
                          Last edited by Trax_XLT; 01-14-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trax_XLT View Post
                            True, but I believe the most senior Lt's at least get the shift they want half of the time, according to the good ol' boys club.
                            In some cases but as a former LT im saying I've seen it. It doesn't matter. Have cross words with a CAPT, AW or Warden of have to deal with an EGO from upper admin types your EOD date doesn't matter and you will either be on SR1 with multiple shifts a week and TUE/WED off or buried as PM SHU LT at the USP getting buried in OIA cases so you can't transfer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13341 users online. 522 members and 12819 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X