Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks. I’m in the process of feeling that paper work out. I gotta bring it in on my first day of class. Thanks for that word of advice because some of that paperwork had me a little confuse. Another CO was telling me about how some ppl that came in like 25 and retired 45-50 having over 400k in that savings

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbie17 View Post
      Thanks. I’m in the process of feeling that paper work out. I gotta bring it in on my first day of class. Thanks for that word of advice because some of that paperwork had me a little confuse. Another CO was telling me about how some ppl that came in like 25 and retired 45-50 having over 400k in that savings
      A mentor told me to learn to differentiate between Wants and Needs. Do I want a (fill in the blank)? Sure. Is it truly a need? If not, exercise a little financial self-discipline and invest for your future, versus splurging on an extravagant expense right now which in 10 years time will be just a memory. The law of compounded interest will make small incremental investments in your TSP account grow substantially over 10-20 years. I'd much rather have a 6 or 7 figure TSP account balance (not unheard of) in a few decades down the road, versus having nothing in TSP and just memories of huge bills paid for unnecessary extravagancies.

Comment

• You take a test on information u learn in class. Is it fairly easy? Do you get your id and order your uniforms in this time also?

Comment

• I'm putting the full 712$ a pay period in tsp now. No car payment and I try to be frugal. I got a raise when I went non custody so I basically live off my starting pay and invest the rest. I just began my 3 year.

Comment

• Fullblown
            Fullblown commented
            Editing a comment
            Last edited by Fullblown; 12-23-2017, 01:59 PM.

• Rmodel1965
            Rmodel1965 commented
            Editing a comment
            not working in a housing unit. things like education, medical, food service, skilled trades like electricians, plumbers etc

• How is the BOP about sick and vacation time? Is it hard to get a vacation time approved, and does vacation go by bid and senority? Is there any other forms of paid time off besides sick and vacation BOP has?
          Also, can your time roll over into the next year/cash it out?

Comment

• Rmodel1965
            Rmodel1965 commented
            Editing a comment
            You can carry 240 hours of annual leave. You start at 4 hours a pay period unless prior military they get 6. Anything over 240 hours you lose if you don't use it.

You bid on days off for vacation based on seniority. Once that's done. In custody if their is space in the bound book then you can take leave. You can take comp time instead of overtime. There are also time off awards etc. I just got also time 24 hour time off award recently. Awards like that expire after 1 year.

• So.... non fed Correctional officers are underpaid in most places (in my opinion), does BOP pay well? i ask because i am currently active duty military and what we make can be very deceptive when you dont take into account BAH, and all the other stuff.... so i never like to assume.

Comment

• Originally posted by mclanton00 View Post
            So.... non fed Correctional officers are underpaid in most places (in my opinion), does BOP pay well? i ask because i am currently active duty military and what we make can be very deceptive when you dont take into account BAH, and all the other stuff.... so i never like to assume.
            As of bow a GL 5 starts out close to 40K plus shift differential and Sunday and holiday add about 5K to that. Then at your year mark you will get about a 5K raise an
            ​​​and several more at your year anniversary until about year 4. Then every other year for a couple. Unless you pick up your 8 through competitive promotion.

I more than doubled my base the first 9 years. I started out as a GS 6 at 30k (in 2000) and by 2009 as an 8 step 10 my base was at 58k.

Depending on joint some have a lot of OT. At mine several Officers make over 100k.

The other thing to consider is retirement. You have your % of pension min of 34% at 20 then Social security supplement then your Thrift (which unlike the military on the Civilian side the GOV matches up to 5% so I'd start at 10% and you get 15% back. Then up it 1% per year until you max out and you should have a min of 509k alone in just that when you retire.

One other plus unlike the Military on the Civilian side when you take annual leave your not charged for your days off or if it falls on a holiday. So say labor day weekend your on AL you get 5 days off but are only charged 4 days (32 hours) and at 15 years total federal service (Military counts) you earn 8 hours of Al pay period (5weeks a year or 240 hours)

Comment

• mclanton00
              mclanton00 commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate it, i submitted my application so i was just wondering.

• I set my TSP at 5%. We dont get LE retirement where I am though (non BOP)
            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• Rmodel1965
              Rmodel1965 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was doing 5% but I just was like I don't have any payments I'll just max mine asap. It was hard to do but I've gotten use to it. I just pretend I don't get all the money I put up.

• J2H
              J2H commented
              Editing a comment
              If I get another promotion (put in for a GS-6 and GS-7) I may contribute more

You take a test on information u learn in class. Is it fairly easy? Do you get your id and order your uniforms in this time also?
            Test is very straightforward, just pay routine attention in class. You take Dept. of Justice (DoJ) ID photo in first day or two, as the photo is sent to another site to be processed into your DoJ ID card. The DoJ ID card contains a smart chip, which is read when you insert it into a reader to log onto a work computer. Those ID cards are processed elsewhere and returned to HR for distribution ASAP, while you are still in ICT. Separately you also get a BOP photo ID (lacking a smart chip), which is your wallet credential as a law enforcement officer. Ours were made locally and handed out in first week, in a BOP embossed flip wallet.

We were told to order uniforms quickly as well. We got our tax-free annual $600 uniform allowance deposited in our bank accounts while we were still in ICT, and voucher to use at designated local store for two free pairs of work boots.
            Last edited by Signal108M; 12-04-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post

Test is very straightforward, just pay routine attention in class. You take Dept. of Justice (DoJ) ID photo in first day or two, as the photo is sent to another site to be processed into your DoJ ID card. The DoJ ID card contains a smart chip, which is read when you insert it into a reader to log onto a work computer. Those ID cards are processed elsewhere and returned to HR for distribution ASAP, while you are still in ICT. Separately you also get a BOP photo ID (lacking a smart chip), which is your wallet credential as a law enforcement officer. Ours were made locally and handed out in first week, in a BOP embossed flip wallet.

We were told to order uniforms quickly as well. We got our tax-free annual $600 uniform allowance deposited in our bank accounts while we were still in ICT, and voucher to use at designated local store for two free pairs of work boots.
              Thanks do the allow any black boots? Like Nike boots I see a lot law enforcement wearing them more now. How does the pay periods work? I’m tryinf transaction from my job smoothly so I don’t miss a check in between.

Comment

Thanks do the allow any black boots? Like Nike boots I see a lot law enforcement wearing them more now. How does the pay periods work? I’m tryinf transaction from my job smoothly so I don’t miss a check in between.
              From when you start to the time you get your first check will be right at 3 weeks. Then every other week. The official pay is on a Thursday but you get deposited the Monday before the official Thursday and some folks depending on bank have it hit on the Saturday before the official. But your first one will take 3 weeks so plan accordingly

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

From when you start to the time you get your first check will be right at 3 weeks. Then every other week. The official pay is on a Thursday but you get deposited the Monday before the official Thursday and some folks depending on bank have it hit on the Saturday before the official. But your first one will take 3 weeks so plan accordingly
                i got a start date for the tenth but class actually starts the 11th so I won’t see a check to the end of December/top of January?

Comment

i got a start date for the tenth but class actually starts the 11th so I won’t see a check to the end of December/top of January?
                  Pay periods always start on Sunday and run for 2 weeks to the Saturday. So you come on on that Sunday the 10th which is your day off and report in Monday for your first Paid day.

Your first check would be on Tuesday the 2nr. If Monday is a holiday then your day is the next day unless your bank is one of a few that basically credits you the prior Saturday as mentioned.

Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Pay periods always start on Sunday and run for 2 weeks to the Saturday. So you come on on that Sunday the 10th which is your day off and report in Monday for your first Paid day.

Your first check would be on Tuesday the 2nr. If Monday is a holiday then your day is the next day unless your bank is one of a few that basically credits you the prior Saturday as mentioned.

Good luck
                    Thanks

Comment

• Anyone have any advice regarding working at a usp. I just got my conditional offer today just waiting to do my eqip. I have previously worked with low custody bop inmates and us marshal inmates of all custody levels, however every institution is different and any input is appreciated.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8260 users online. 371 members and 7889 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X