Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• During the spring and summer we were hearing about BOP-issued external vests carriers, as well as upcoming approval to have personally owned weapon in an approved container in our vehicle at work. Now, it seems there's been nothing but silence on both topics for months. Does anybody have intel? The only vests being worn at my place were purchased with personal funds.

Comment

• Capt_Falco
      Capt_Falco commented
      Editing a comment
      Our external vests came in about 1.5 months ago, feels much more comfortable. Of course the administrative staff got their vests in the first order before officers lol

• dox1842
      dox1842 commented
      Editing a comment
      our vests havent come in yet. I purchased my own and Its very comfortable.

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post
    During the spring and summer we were hearing about BOP-issued external vests carriers, as well as upcoming approval to have personally owned weapon in an approved container in our vehicle at work. Now, it seems there's been nothing but silence on both topics for months. Does anybody have intel? The only vests being worn at my place were purchased with personal funds.
    If your institution has High security then it's mandated and BOP is required to issue the vests so if that's the case your local or Regional union needs to address. Most of us have been issued the outer vest carrier by now. The inner was issued over 2-3 years ago.

As far as firearms that is in the works for the lockers but the number 1 and 2 most violated policy was guns in vehicles and guns in staff housing. I'm sure the hold up is policy being write to remind staff they need to conceal ot etc etc if they stop at a store off duty etc. How they need to be professional if in the uniform X,Y and Z

I'm not giving give anyone advice and a Warden even told me some info that I will keep here but, It's a little hard for then to enforce the guns in vehicles rule when it's changing be responsible and your probably alright, but do what your career can handle.

Comment

• Signal108M
      Signal108M commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, should have clarified. We were all issued vests and internal carriers as soon as they became available a few years ago. I'm now talking about the recently-announced, BOP-issued, black external vest carriers. We submitted our sizes in the spring. Then a giant hole of no further information such as anticipated delivery date, reason for delay, etc. The only folks wearing the black external vest carriers bought theirs downtown.

• Submitted my application yesterday, I’m on my final 10 months of service in the Army, 8 years will almost be 9 by the time I get out. Does anyone know how long is the wait to get an answer on your application, I listed Phoenix and Tucson as my choices, also anyone who is currently employed by BOP in those areas, why do you like about the job the most and would you recommend to anyone working here?

Comment

• Rmodel1965
      Rmodel1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      The second choice you put is irrelevant. How fast the process goes depends on how badly they need staff. Corrections isn't for everyone. But the pension and benefits was a driving factor for me personally. I'm not at either of those locations though.

• I would guess that 70% of our staff have the outer vest carriers. We have an FDC, so the vest carriers are very nice to have for a quick change of posts. I think they look quite good too, especially with the new uniforms.
    We finally have a good professional look that is good quality and should stand the test of time. IMO.

Comment

• Starting tomorrow any advice? What to expect first week etc?

Comment

• swill323
        swill323 commented
        Editing a comment
        I started in February we pretty much sat in a classroom for 2 weeks going through classes, maybe a tour of the facility, and some self defense.

• Originally posted by jcsd619 View Post
      Starting tomorrow any advice? What to expect first week etc?
      Nothing against you personally but Keep your mouth shut and listen. BOP does a lot of stuff maybe not as good as your last agency Bo one cares so save the experience sharing. You have to do it the BOP way. So unless someone asks don't interject your opinion.

And if you have visions of grander that's cool but don't share them either. You might think your LY, CAPT, AW or Warden material but you have to make your 8 first. And it runs folks wrong even if you don't mean it to. You don't want to be "That guy" and get labeled in IF.

Comment

• How many days is the BOP workweek? 3/12s, 4/10s, 5/8s?

Also how many shifts in a day are there generally?

Comment

• Rmodel1965
          Rmodel1965 commented
          Editing a comment
          5 8s unless they have done some compressed deals. i had 2 16 hour shifts and an 8 with 4 days off a week on one post

• NorCalAspirant
          NorCalAspirant commented
          Editing a comment
          16 hour shift sounds very gruelling. Do you get used to it after awhile?

• Rmodel1965
          Rmodel1965 commented
          Editing a comment
          I felt like I was working three days a week and just pulling overtime on television two long days honestly. It was nice having 4 days and week off though

• bolo1187
          bolo1187 commented
          Editing a comment
          Rmodel was that how the actual post was set up or did you and another officer swap some days to do that?

• Originally posted by NorCalAspirant View Post
        How many days is the BOP workweek? 3/12s, 4/10s, 5/8s?

Also how many shifts in a day are there generally?
        As far as shifts in the day that can depend on Institutional needs. A lot of USP's with larger SHUs and such night have 2 extra shifts of 6-2 and 2-10 for a few more staff for feedings, rec and general busyness.

This is on top of the midnight to 8-8-4 and 4-12 shifts.

A couple other places have everyone on 10 pm-6am, 6a-2pm and 2-pm-10am. Usually smaller institutions.

You will be all over the board your first year changing every month on the rookie roster. After you get your year generally you do a roster (3 months) on sick and annual (again all over the board changing every week)

Then you get to start bidding for a 3 month roster (quarter) on shift, job, days off by seniority.

Comment

Last edited by Fullblown; 12-23-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• bolo1187
            bolo1187 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wish thats how it was here.... The lowest 10 guys are usually stuck on MW

• Rmodel1965
            Rmodel1965 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that 10-6pm is hard to get one because some of them get 32 hours of Sunday lay a pay period plus the 80 hours of night differential

• JohnnyUtah1989
            JohnnyUtah1989 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. If you’re an GL- 8 step 10, it’s an additional $14k a year with my locality pay. An 8-10 on MW makes the same as a GS 11 step 10 LT on DW with 1% of the responsibility.

• Capt_Falco
            Capt_Falco commented
            Editing a comment
            The OT for my joint on MW is so bad that many first time bidders were able to get that 10-6am post. The few 8s who are on it are hitting in the 100k already though

• How long until you heard something after turning in your application?

Comment

• JohnnyUtah1989
            JohnnyUtah1989 commented
            Editing a comment
            It varies. Some may never hear anything. It wouldn’t hurt to call HR and politely ask when they’re planning on hiring next. They may ask your name or they may give you a one word answer. It’s worth a shot.

• What should I expect my first two weeks during phase I?

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbie17 View Post
            What should I expect my first two weeks during phase I?
            Presentations (overviews) by various department heads, the usual new employee on-boarding stuff from HR, facility tour(s), review important policies and procedures, talk about phase II at Glynco, etc. If your facility is like mine, you'll have a third week which does Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and also Correctional Communication.

Note: BOP refers to official policies as "Program Statements."
            A handy website (accessible to the general public from any computer: www.bop.gov --> resources --> policies & forms.

Comment

• Thanks signal! Do you then learn the different post from there on out until you sent to glynco?

QUOTE=Signal108M;n6580548]

Presentations (overviews) by various department heads, the usual new employee on-boarding stuff from HR, facility tour(s), review important policies and procedures, talk about phase II at Glynco, etc. If your facility is like mine, you'll have a third week which does Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and also Correctional Communication.

A handy website (accessible to the general public from any computer: www.bop.gov --> resources --> policies & forms.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbie17 View Post
                Thanks signal! Do you then learn the different post from there on out until you sent to glynco?

QUOTE=Signal108M;n6580548]

A handy website (accessible to the general public from any computer: www.bop.gov --> resources --> policies & forms.
                [/QUOTE]

My place rotated newbies through several different shifts shadowing an experienced person, to learn the duties unique to each shift and each post for their particular position based on the department they were hired for. This is where corrections went their separate way from medical newbies, facilities newbies, education newbies, etc.

Comment

• PS. For newbies, during ICT phase 1 you'll have paperwork to complete for HR. A few particular areas to give your full attention, as they relate to some of the best benefits of working for the federal government (a lot of private sector employees would love to have these same level of benefits, at the price we pay for them):

1. FEHB which is Federal Employee Health Benefits plan. You'll be able to select a health insurance policy at various prices from different health insurance companies, at substantial group volume discount. My family has Blue Cross Basic, and we pay considerably lower premium than what my wife's employer charges for the exact same level of coverage. Accepted just about everywhere, low co-pay, low deductible, etc.

2. TSP which is Thrift Savings Plan. This is the voluntary 401(k) retirement plan for federal employees. Money you invest in one or more of the mutual funds offered by TSP is tax-deferred (meaning your TSP deposit is deducted from your gross pay before income tax is assessed, and your TSP earnings grow tax-deferred). It's a painless way to save for retirement, as you can set it up automatic payroll deduction. TSP has the lowest management fee of any mutual fund company in the country, even lower than Vanguard. And Uncle Sam will match your deposit, dollar for dollar, up to 5% of your base pay. That's FREE MONEY from Uncle Sam. TSP is separate from your defined pension, which is automatic and is calculated by your years of service and highest average pay.

3. If you are prior military, you can "buy" civilian service credit based off your military time which counts towards civilian retirement eligibility and also vacation accrual rate. Details: https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemploye...estimator.html

Note: doing this takes a lot of paperwork, patience on your part, and multiple mailings. Mine took almost 18 months from start to finish, but it was well worth the effort.
                  Last edited by Signal108M; 12-02-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13722 users online. 454 members and 13268 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X