Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I worked 24 hours of overtime at my second institution my first week. I did the overtime in custody after moving to a job out of it

    So far I have 13.5 hours this pay period I could have had a lot more but I'm taking a break for a week or so. Gonna really try and get some once it's freezing outside since I won't have anything to do lol
    Last edited by Rmodel1965; 10-11-2017, 12:25 AM.

    Comment


    • dox1842
      dox1842 commented
      Editing a comment
      overtime at USP Atlanta is off the rip. I bring double rations in my lunch box everyday. Theres no telling when ill be able to go home. Its kind of like musical chairs at shift change. INstead of going home most the staff just go to a different housing unit.

  • Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
    i came across this video on youtube...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk2lw6qjdAM

    is that what its like being a CO with BOP?
    No, BOP does not have a roll call or guardmount . You simply walk to your post and relieve there. No 12 hour shifts in 99.999 places and inmates know what they are suppose to do. So bo pep talks (which was probably for the camera)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

      No, BOP does not have a roll call or guardmount . You simply walk to your post and relieve there. No 12 hour shifts in 99.999 places and inmates know what they are suppose to do. So bo pep talks (which was probably for the camera)
      if i may ask what is guardmount?

      Comment


      • It's where the shift meets right before assuming posts. You get briefed on any significant items from the previous shift, as well as any special events/circumstances, health/welfare check, and inspection
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        DA Security Guard, APG MD (GS-5 Step 06)
        COE:
        VA Police Officer (GS-6), Baltimore/Perry Point MD

        Comment


        • Does all BOP facility have apartments or housing for employees? One of the CO was telling me they had on post housing but it usually be a waiting list.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Newbie17 View Post
            Does all BOP facility have apartments or housing for employees? One of the CO was telling me they had on post housing but it usually be a waiting list.
            The older institutions have a few houses on reservations but most do not. By older I believe Marion which was built in the early 60's is one of the last ones. And a few older ones have torn down most.

            Staff housing is pretty expensive and is usually designed for administrative types that move every year and a half or so. Although some LTs and below have lived in them

            Comment


            • What are the pro's and con's of working at an MDC and a USP?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fullblown View Post
                What are the pro's and con's of working at an MDC and a USP?
                MDCs: you have a hodge-podge of security levels. Your "running" to a fight or officer body alarm is down the hallway to the elevator and pushing a button (no disrespect to my brothers/sisters at a high-rise). The commute and parking can be an expensive time-consuming pain if you drive personal vehicle. Comes with all the pros and cons of a big city.

                USP: you have the convicted worst of the worst (except for at Admax Florance). Great place to cut your teeth; if you can hack it at a USP you're good just about anywhere. Good place to "pay your dues" as a rookie before trying to transfer to a laid-back place like a stand-along camp or low security facility. Usually the commute time is quick, and ample free parking is right out the front door. More likely to be in a more rural location versus big city. Downside: running to a fight or officer body alarm usually entails hauling a@@ across 1/4 mile of open yard, in the heat/humidity, wearing a stab vest which doesn't breathe.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Signal108M View Post

                  MDCs: you have a hodge-podge of security levels. Your "running" to a fight or officer body alarm is down the hallway to the elevator and pushing a button (no disrespect to my brothers/sisters at a high-rise). The commute and parking can be an expensive time-consuming pain if you drive personal vehicle. Comes with all the pros and cons of a big city.

                  USP: you have the convicted worst of the worst (except for at Admax Florance). Great place to cut your teeth; if you can hack it at a USP you're good just about anywhere. Good place to "pay your dues" as a rookie before trying to transfer to a laid-back place like a stand-along camp or low security facility. Usually the commute time is quick, and ample free parking is right out the front door. More likely to be in a more rural location versus big city. Downside: running to a fight or officer body alarm usually entails hauling a@@ across 1/4 mile of open yard, in the heat/humidity, wearing a stab vest which doesn't breathe.

                  More importantly, MDC and FDC = Females also. That's a big NO for me. We've all heard too many horror stories.

                  Comment


                  • Does anyone know about the facilities in Manhattan and Brooklyn, particularly how badly they need COs? I am thinking of changing my preferences to them so I can be called for an interview sooner.

                    Comment


                    • Now do you have to interview at the prison you apply to when you get the invite? Can you interview somewhere close if the prison you apply to is far?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by myman12 View Post
                        Now do you have to interview at the prison you apply to when you get the invite? Can you interview somewhere close if the prison you apply to is far?
                        They Conduct what they call a "courtesy interviews" all the time. What that is is where you Interview and co dict all your medical and etc at a close prison. Several folks have taken advantage of it. Especially if they are living east coast and want to get in the door at say a west coast institution or etc.

                        And no you get no more Consideration wether you interview at the exact institution your trying to hire into or the one closest to you

                        Comment


                        • Bop officers don’t get badges I was told. You get a id similar to what the military has. Does local law enforcement usually honor it?

                          Comment


                          • Wentwest
                            Wentwest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No, we only are issued badges for transport or other public duty. Our ID says Law Enforcement prominently across the top. I have not heard of area police having any issues in Colorado.
                            As for badges we have them embroidered on the new uniforms. You can buy an ID holder or wallet with a BOP badge on it. There is really no real practical need for a badge, and God help you if you are brandishing it for authority, or other consideration and it gets reported.
                            If it makes you feel good having a badge, ok, many guys have them. But be very cautious in how you use or display it.

                        • ..........error........
                          Last edited by Fullblown; 10-16-2017, 07:05 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Newbie17 View Post
                            Bop officers don’t get badges I was told. You get a id similar to what the military has. Does local law enforcement usually honor it?
                            As Wentwest stated you are only issued badges for an armed post. I'll add that BOP is a Federal LE agency so we are issued credentials that say Law Enforcement Officer. That was added after the 2013 LEOSA update that stated an agency issued ID was needed. BIO also issues a CAC or PIV card similar to the Military that is for using the computer system. The CAC/PIV is not used as a credentials or carrying under LEOSA so it does t matter what local LE thinks BOP is covered by LEOSA and as long as you have your credentials they can pound it in their ego.

                            (As a side note BOP has no Statutory Powers of arrest off duty only on duty but in 18 years I can't tell you when a BOP employee actually effected an arrest)

                            Comment


                            • Newbie17
                              Newbie17 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you and westwent. I don’t care to be around flashing a badge or what not. Just was interesting and how it was honored or what with local enforcement. Do you still have to go thru local enforcement to get ur right to carry off duty?

                            • Wentwest
                              Wentwest commented
                              Editing a comment
                              As IN625 mentioned, we are considered LE and can carry on our creeds per LEOSA. No other permit is needed. Just make sure you have finished FLETC before you carry.

                            • Newbie17
                              Newbie17 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Appreciate the information. I’ll be starting Job training in the next two wks. I don’t know how soon I’ll be sent to gylnco.

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 12414 users online. 467 members and 11947 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X