Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I expect my first year in BOP?

Comment

• Originally posted by jcsd619 View Post
      What can I expect my first year in BOP?
      Learning how to do the job as well as how to work ALL the posts in the facility
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• You will be on the rookie roster. You will change jobs and shifts and days off every month when in a training post. You will have a month of what they call sick and annual where days off shifts and jobs change daily and expect to work a 9 day stretch without getting OT. Then usually at the end you will be assigned to a roster (quarter or 3 months) of sick and annual then fall into regular rotation and start bidding on what job, shift days off you want.

Bidding is all done by seniority and is broke down you put down what job you want. Each job has assigned shift and days off.

Most rookies like to stay on sick and annual (bidding for it) especially at complex's because they can get a couple weekend days off here and there when senior staff are off by getting plugged into that job for the week
        Last edited by in625shooter; 09-24-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Fullblown; 09-26-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Any one know if the facilities in California tend to hire frequently since they're offering the incentives to work there?

Comment

• Originally posted by 17Jeep View Post
              Any one know if the facilities in California tend to hire frequently since they're offering the incentives to work there?
              Generally Yes they hire note because they have a harder time getting Canadates. In most of the country BOP pays 2 1/2 times what state DOC pays or local LE agencies. In California case it's the opposite.so the bonus and or higher cola (usually 25%) if an attractive incentive

In the case of Her long and Mendota they are sort of in the middle of nowhere.

How the incentive works the 17% is added in every check across the year. Bot sure if there is a lump sum option as I have no desire to go to California ever.

I believe the retention is similar.

Comment

• 17Jeep
                17Jeep commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with you, I wouldn't wanna move back to California but if it gives me a shot at getting in I'll do it!

• You get the incentive for the year as a lump sum during your first pay period. If you do not complete your probationary year you are prorated the time you did at the institution and you have to pay back the remaining amount.

Comment

• I did a ton of OT this year. I'm about $35k over my base salary and $35k more than I made last year. However, my deductions (health insurance and TSP) have stayed almost the same. Does this mean that my federal tax return will be significantly smaller than last year? I claim "1" dependent.

Comment

• ignore / reposted with updated info.
                  Last edited by Signal108M; 09-26-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
                    I did a ton of OT this year. I'm about $35k over my base salary and $35k more than I made last year. However, my deductions (health insurance and TSP) have stayed almost the same. Does this mean that my federal tax return will be significantly smaller than last year? I claim "1" dependent.
                    Even if your OT pushes your gross pay upwards into the next higher tax bracket, I believe the pay computer automatically adjusts your tax withholding from each paycheck according to an imbedded formula which adjusts for the different tax brackets. You're always safer to claim zero dependents (or as few as possible) to reduce the chance of owing tax at the end of the year. This also increases the likelihood (and size) of any tax refund. Of course it means you gave Uncle Sam an interest-free loan of your excess withholding for a short while.

To answer your original questions, if your tax withholdings went up with each paycheck which contained your OT, I think your refund should be roughly the same.

Use this IRS calculator (with figures from your most-recent pay stub) to see how you're doing:
                    https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-...ing-calculator

Comment

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post

Even if your OT pushes your gross pay upwards into the next higher tax bracket, I believe the pay computer automatically adjusts your tax withholding from each paycheck according to an imbedded formula which adjusts for the different tax brackets. You're always safer to claim zero dependents (or as few as possible) to reduce the chance of owing tax at the end of the year. This also increases the likelihood (and size) of any tax refund. Of course it means you gave Uncle Sam an interest-free loan of your excess withholding for a short while.

To answer your original questions, if your tax withholdings went up with each paycheck which contained your OT, I think your refund should be roughly the same.

Use this IRS calculator (with figures from your most-recent pay stub) to see how you're doing:
                      https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-...ing-calculator
                      Let me add from experience the thing you need to watch is your local county tax. I have an extra $30.00a pay taken out for state taxes. Reason is I live in an adjacent county that has a .5% income tax the DOJ doesn't factor in. I was usually breaking even in I would get back wfrom Federal about what I owed the state. But I worked a lot of OT making $110,000 and then I ended up dipping into my savings for my state. So you might want to it for taking another 20-30 or 40 out a pay for state taxes. And like others states claim the least amount of dependents as you can through the year. And contribute as much as you can (at least 5% to get Max matching funds) but 10% that's all pre taxed so that can help as well.

Comment

• Thanks guys. When I file, I always subtract TSP contributions and health insurance contributions from my gross income to give me my "taxable wages". Should I also subtract pension contribution?

Comment

• I completed my interview. I passed the assessment, written portion and completed my interview. How long does it usually take to receive a email if their offering you the job? Is that video they show you for the training at gylenco accurate? It seems outdated

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbie17 View Post
                            I completed my interview. I passed the assessment, written portion and completed my interview. How long does it usually take to receive a email if their offering you the job? Is that video they show you for the training at gylenco accurate? It seems outdated
                            How fast depends on how many people they are starting. They attempt to coordinate th date with everyone else. But I would say average for a small class of under 5 4-6 weeks but don't hold me to is a I don't know ow your institution particulars.

The training film is dated. They emphasis the PT but it's a joke. There is nothing to it. Pay attention in class, don't do anything stupid on the range and you will be fine. It's like a college campus and atmosphere. Nowhere near a boot camp

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
                              Thanks guys. When I file, I always subtract TSP contributions and health insurance contributions from my gross income to give me my "taxable wages". Should I also subtract pension contribution?
                              I would advise using the instructions for the form 1040, and pulling your information as prompted line by line from the W-2 received from your employer. The form 1040 and W-2 separate out gross pay, adjusted gross income, taxable income, etc. IRS instructions can be like reading a law school textbook but it's the best way to avoid making an innocent mistake and getting audited.

Hopefully your state and/or local income taxes are simple like mine; they utilize $$ pulled straight from the 1040 line by line. Takes maybe two minutes, versus the several hours I suffer through the 1040 each year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10817 users online. 374 members and 10443 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X