Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How is it legal that the poor schmuck assigned as Institutional Duty Officer for 7 straight days is only paid for 8 hours/day? They get no compensation for being on-call or standby for the other 16 hours/day, nor do they get any additional compensation for official phone calls received at 0200, nor do they get any additional compensation if they have to report to the facility at some God-awful hour to manage an admin crisis. These are not flat monthly salary workers, these are GS/GL civil servants paid by the hour with department head jobs who get assigned as IDO about 3 times/year for a week.
    Last edited by Signal108M; 09-13-2017, 11:48 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Signal108M View Post
      How is it legal that the poor schmuck assigned as Institutional Duty Officer for 7 straight days is only paid for 8 hours/day? They get no compensation for being on-call or standby for the other 16 hours/day, nor do they get any additional compensation for official phone calls received at 0200, nor do they get any additional compensation if they have to report to the facility at some God-awful hour to manage an admin crisis. These are not flat monthly salary workers, these are GS/GL civil servants paid by the hour with department head jobs who get assigned as IDO about 3 times/year for a week.
      Actually they are not GL. GL is for non supervisory LE covered position s under the GS 10 grade. 11 and up is GS on the LE retirement. All duty officers are non bargaining and part of management.

      Also as far as the 7 days straight it's no different than working a 9 day stretch on sick and annual. Duty Officers usually come on their tour on a Tues to Tuesday. So they have Sun Mon off. Start tour on Tues to Tuesday then have a Fri,Sat,Sun off the second week. Bargaining or not it's bot more than 40 hours in any given week. Phone calls in reference after hours are part of it.

      And they only do 8 hour days generally from noon to 8 pm. Unless a major incident happens after 8 pm or whatever.

      Also some like at a FCC I am familiar with have 2 duty Officers one USP one FCI. Then on the weekend on takes both joints for sat and the other takes both on Sun.
      Last edited by in625shooter; 09-14-2017, 01:11 AM.

      Comment


      • I completed everything so far for the process. When I receive the tentative offer, will I get a start date? I guess before they would make a offer on the spot but since the budget thing it has to get approved.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jcsd619 View Post
          I completed everything so far for the process. When I receive the tentative offer, will I get a start date? I guess before they would make a offer on the spot but since the budget thing it has to get approved.
          The start date usually comes with the firm offer as they start whoever they are hiring on the same day at the start of a pay period for what's called Institution Familiarization

          Comment


          • My status was updated today and I received an email. It's been "referred" for a while now. Any knowledge on why I was told it was updated would be appreciated. Thanks!

            Comment


            • excuse my laziness for not going through this thread cause i know my question has been answered many times, but are they just waiting on the budget to start hiring external applicants?
              officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

              Comment


              • Originally posted by hexen220 View Post
                excuse my laziness for not going through this thread cause i know my question has been answered many times, but are they just waiting on the budget to start hiring external applicants?
                Bo, they are hiring everything just has to go all the way through central office now. And an institution has to get below a certain% now

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bman4130 View Post
                  My status was updated today and I received an email. It's been "referred" for a while now. Any knowledge on why I was told it was updated would be appreciated. Thanks!
                  Not a clue as to why. Could be they were working on getting a list together.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

                    Bo, they are hiring everything just has to go all the way through central office now. And an institution has to get below a certain% now

                    Why does it have to go through central office?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jcsd619 View Post


                      Why does it have to go through central office?
                      with Sessions and the new administration everything is under a microscope as far as positions hired. Before li e staff spots was an institution issue. Supervisory spots were selected by the warden and the Regional Director approved or disproved the selection. Now everything is forward to Central Office for the directors office to look at the numbers.

                      Bot an individuals be just position and numbers

                      Comment


                      • I'm new to this forum. I was just wondering how is the hiring process like for Correctional Officer with the BOP? Is it a difficult process? Is there a psychological and polygraph portion in the hiring process? Thanks in advance.

                        Comment


                        • Do they issue you a your uniforms your first week? Or is it like the postal service, after 90 days you get your uniform allowance?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jcsd619 View Post
                            Do they issue you a your uniforms your first week? Or is it like the postal service, after 90 days you get your uniform allowance?
                            They don't issue uniforms. You will receive a $600.00 clothing allowance during your second week of IF and every year after unless you are non custody then it's buisness casual. Business casual during IF. Most folks order uniforms after they start IF on their credit card then pay it off with their allowance the n xt week just to get it. If you don't have them when you get out of IF business casual until.
                            Last edited by in625shooter; 09-16-2017, 09:44 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Fullblown View Post
                              I'm new to this forum. I was just wondering how is the hiring process like for Correctional Officer with the BOP? Is it a difficult process? Is there a psychological and polygraph portion in the hiring process? Thanks in advance.
                              Searching is your friend has been covered several times in the 246 pages.

                              No poly, no psyc. Interview, a new Core Values Assessment Test, interview and pretty detailed background

                              Comment


                              • Ignore, accidental double entry
                                Last edited by Signal108M; 09-16-2017, 09:57 AM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11134 users online. 243 members and 10891 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X