Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone working for the BOP, I'm currently a state corrections officer. I have every other weekend off. I was wondering how that tends to work with the feds, is every facility is different and if you can except to get a certain amount of weekends off a year? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDR86 View Post
      If anyone working for the BOP, I'm currently a state corrections officer. I have every other weekend off. I was wondering how that tends to work with the feds, is every facility is different and if you can except to get a certain amount of weekends off a year? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
      You have to get the seniority to bid on weekends off. Most places are 8 hr shifts and a 5-2 schedule. A couple places night have a couple spots that have a compressed 10 hour schedule where you work 4 10 he days and such but 99% your on 8's. Most stand alone camps are on 12 hour shifts with every other weekend off but there are o ky like 5-6 stand alone camps to 120 others.

Your FCC's will be your quickest route to getting seniority for weekends as well as note jobs offered. Stand lone FCI's night only have one job on days with weekends and you'll need 25 years in.

Only other fast track would be a new activated institution

Comment

• Originally posted by B O Double View Post
        in625shooter, does it stand true that for every 1 spot there are 3 applicants that interview and each list includes 20 best qualiied applicants (for all federal positions)?
        Yes to the 1-3. The number of 20 was just as an example I used that just because someone is BQd and referred does not 100% guarantee you get the call for an interview

Comment

• Probably unless you pick a off the wall location like Yazoo or pollock. Do that get in transfer later

Comment

• Originally posted by JDR86 View Post
            If anyone working for the BOP, I'm currently a state corrections officer. I have every other weekend off. I was wondering how that tends to work with the feds, is every facility is different and if you can except to get a certain amount of weekends off a year? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
            I work at FCI Seagoville which is a homestead institution and it's hard to get weekends off. Matter of fact if you are at the bottom of the seniority list do not expect to many weekends off. Every now and then I've seen people at the bottom luck out and get a post with weekends off. Also, I would like to add do not let not having weekends off discourage you from applying. I've been with the BOP over 3 years and I cannot complain.

Comment

• dox1842
              dox1842 commented
              Editing a comment
              I back what Waterboy says. Does working weekends suck? Maybe, I do a pretty good job of working around it. It IS the only complaint I have about the bureau though

• Does anyone know if ausp Thomson has been hiring off the street or mostly internally? Kind of curious of that one even though I would rather stay closer to the south west.

Comment

• Originally posted by 17Jeep View Post
              Does anyone know if ausp Thomson has been hiring off the street or mostly internally? Kind of curious of that one even though I would rather stay closer to the south west.
              The buzz is Thomson is suppose to add a bunch of staff to activate it soon but they are waiting on the budget to get passed. The FY starts October 1 and as normal the last few years there is no budget passed yet.

Comment

• Bman4130
                Bman4130 commented
                Editing a comment
                I read an article last summer about them fully activating it. Seems like it's been in the works for a while, just waiting on funds?

• The budget was a big big part, then politics with many many folks dragging their feet. Thomson all started in 2010 when BOP first looked at buying it. Then once they did there was several internal construction and security things they had to change which while getting an already existing facility saved money it costs a lot to tweak it to another agencies needs.

Comment

• double post
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-07-2017, 08:29 AM.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                  The budget was a big big part, then politics with many many folks dragging their feet. Thomson all started in 2010 when BOP first looked at buying it. Then once they did there was several internal construction and security things they had to change which while getting an already existing facility saved money it costs a lot to tweak it to another agencies needs.
                  Last I saw here LOCALLY was that they are about ready to activate (News article in the last month on local media)

Originally posted by 17Jeep View Post
                  Does anyone know if ausp Thomson has been hiring off the street or mostly internally? Kind of curious of that one even though I would rather stay closer to the south west.
                  As f..I don't think there will be even close to enough BOP people wanting to transfer to the middle of nowhere to staff the place.
                  I would expect a lot of new hires

Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-07-2017, 08:29 AM.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

• Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Last I saw here LOCALLY was that they are about ready to activate (News article in the last month on local media)

As f..I don't think there will be even close to enough BOP people wanting to transfer to the middle of nowhere to staff the place.
                    I would expect a lot of new hires
                    Iowa you probably k ow this but for those that don't (to add to your comment) whenever BOP activates a new place they have to (or are suppose to) hire around 60-70% from the local community (within an hour). Sometimes it works other times it's hard (FCI Berlin comes to mind)

The biggest hinderence is BOP is erring on the side of caution and won't pull the trigger with opening jobs up or finalize any conditional offer until the budget gets passed. They have also slowed down the other moves a lot. And each time they have a paid move if the person is married no kids and they spend the whole 60 days in temp quarters with full per diem moving house hold goods and various other perks the spreadsheet I received was BOP would spend $89,000. If you have kids living with you it's more.

It took BOP around 3 years to activate Berlin after Berlin was ready facility wise. Due to budgetary issues then when they did start hurricane Sandy caused severe storm damage.

Last I was told Berlin still has challenges getting a full complement of staff. Mostly due to remote location.

I see a lot of similarities

Comment

Iowa you probably k ow this but for those that don't (to add to your comment) whenever BOP activates a new place they have to (or are suppose to) hire around 60-70% from the local community (within an hour). Sometimes it works other times it's hard (FCI Berlin comes to mind)

Last I was told Berlin still has challenges getting a full complement of staff. Mostly due to remote location.

I see a lot of similarities
                      Oh yes

As you know from other discussion, I live just about an hour from Thomson. Trust me when I say , while it is NOT in a REMOTE area, it is in the middle of nowhere

The local area is really supporting the new facility but there really isn't much population base to draw from

Here is the last article I read locally

http://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Sen...441451343.html
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-08-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• 17Jeep
                        17Jeep commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How's the cost of living, I noticed Davenport isn't to far from Thomson and seems like a decently sized city.

Oh yes

As you know from other discussion, I live just about an hour from Thomson. Trust me when I say , while it is NOT in a REMOTE area, it is in the middle of nowhere

The local area is really supporting the new facility but there really isn't much population base to draw from

Here is the last article I read locally

http://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Sen...441451343.html
                      I hear you. Several staff from here transferred just over 2 years ago when the first wave of folks transferred in. Most live in Clinton or an hour the other direction. An hour commute seems to not be uncommon. But when you are use to a city population of 60-100,000 people it probably does seem remote LOL

Comment

I hear you. Several staff from here transferred just over 2 years ago when the first wave of folks transferred in. Most live in Clinton or an hour the other direction. An hour commute seems to not be uncommon. But when you are use to a city population of 60-100,000 people it probably does seem remote LOL
                        Clinton is about 20 miles, but only about 20K population. Davenport (quad cities) is much larger but an hour away as is Dubuque (maybe 50k)

I am going to be over near that way tomorrow to lay a brother LEO to rest..................

Comment

Clinton is about 20 miles, but only about 20K population. Davenport (quad cities) is much larger but an hour away as is Dubuque (maybe 50k)

I am going to be over near that way tomorrow to lay a brother LEO to rest..................
                          Sorry for your lost. God bless

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17933 users online. 474 members and 17459 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X