Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't posted in a while and my situation has changed. Went from state to county. Make pretty good money and have a good pension/benefits. No room for advancement but about 30/hr straight time with as much as I can handle OT and I don't get forced that much anymore. I'm not sure if I want to start over with being at the bottom and learning everything again but I just put out another fed bop app.

Is the top out pay scale higher or is there a lot of room for advancement?

I've always wanted fed and maybe that's why I reapplied but anyone with solid reasoning maybe can steer me in the right direction. Thanks all!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bman4130 View Post
      I haven't posted in a while and my situation has changed. Went from state to county. Make pretty good money and have a good pension/benefits. No room for advancement but about 30/hr straight time with as much as I can handle OT and I don't get forced that much anymore. I'm not sure if I want to start over with being at the bottom and learning everything again but I just put out another fed bop app.

I've always wanted fed and maybe that's why I reapplied but anyone with solid reasoning maybe can steer me in the right direction. Thanks all!
      Depends upon the locality of the institution you're applying at. Go here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...ement-officer/

And then click on the PDF/globe icon under the column 'Hourly Rate' in your preferred locality. If you're applying for the open announcement, it's for a GL-6, so you could negotiate for a step 10 or whatever matches your current salary during the job offer phone call.
      Last edited by Trax_XLT; 08-23-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trax_XLT View Post

Depends upon the locality of the institution you're applying at. Go here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...ement-officer/

And then click on the PDF/globe icon under the column 'Hourly Rate' in your preferred locality. If you're applying for the open announcement, it's for a GL-6, so you could negotiate for a step 10 or whatever matches your current salary during the job offer phone call.
        Thank you for the link. That is helpful.

Comment

• I feel your situation man, currently I work for a private jail but I've always wanted to join the Feds. But then an opportunity came up with the state which is offers good benefits and retirement but I still would rather go to bop as they're retirement seems a lil better and I'm ready to move somewhere else. I just wish they would hire at the locations I put in for soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bman4130 View Post
            I haven't posted in a while and my situation has changed. Went from state to county. Make pretty good money and have a good pension/benefits. No room for advancement but about 30/hr straight time with as much as I can handle OT and I don't get forced that much anymore. I'm not sure if I want to start over with being at the bottom and learning everything again but I just put out another fed bop app.

You will get far better pay raises and advancements with BOP. You come in as a 5 step 1 then at your year mark you go to a 6 step 2 then at the start of your third year you go to a 7 step 3. Then you get your 4 then step 5,6,7 every 2 years and 8,9,10 3 years but you can get a early step increases called a QSI on a Outstanding eval.

You are elegible to put in for your GS 8 after you have your 7 for a year. You can also put in for other jobs like case manager which go to GS 11 automatically.

And if you are no Ike and can move you can find a lot of opportunities.

Comment

• Just finished my last day at Fcc Pollock now to pack and move to Fci Oxford

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post
                Just finished my last day at Fcc Pollock now to pack and move to Fci Oxford
                Thats my first choice. Hard to get in?

Comment

• No idea. I got a promotion I was alway in the bop. I know it's a stand alone fci so I doubt they hire a lot

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post
                    Just finished my last day at Fcc Pollock now to pack and move to Fci Oxford
                    Get ready for a big change. After I left Pollock for FCI Talladega it was a big adjustment, still is. We have issues nothing like Pollock. Things are done way different. There are times I miss working in the Pen.

Comment

• I'm sure it's gonna be an even bigger change since I'll no longer be custody. Then there's gonna be snow on top of it

Comment

• Does anyone know if every BQ applicant gets "vouched out" for another position/transfer or is it just the applicants they are interested in?
                        BOP 10/04/2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt_Falco View Post
                          Does anyone know if every BQ applicant gets "vouched out" for another position/transfer or is it just the applicants they are interested in?
                          I have no idea what this means. If you BQ, you'll receive an email from the institution of your first choice (or second) to set up an interview (this can take a few days, weeks, or even months because they might not have an opening at the prison). In the meantime, you and everyone else may receive emails about open positions in other prisons and if you want to start working asap, you just need to change your 1st choice to the prison indicated on the email.

Comment

• Capt_Falco
                            Capt_Falco commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks but I'm already a CO in BOP, I was asking in terms of transferring to another institution.

• Originally posted by Capt_Falco View Post
                          Does anyone know if every BQ applicant gets "vouched out" for another position/transfer or is it just the applicants they are interested in?
                          if your BOP and applying every BQ gets referred however comma they will cut it down to what they call a short list of usually 3 applications to every position. They generally read through and if there is a spectacular canadate that might do it but a lot of times it's about networking etc.

Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucas View Post

I have no idea what this means. If you BQ, you'll receive an email from the institution of your first choice (or second) to set up an interview (this can take a few days, weeks, or even months because they might not have an opening at the prison). In the meantime, you and everyone else may receive emails about open positions in other prisons and if you want to start working asap, you just need to change your 1st choice to the prison indicated on the email.
                            They hire/pro ote internally a little different than off the street. If you are not currently BoP and apply you have to get rated Best Qualified BQ to get referred (where they send your name on the list when an institution asks for one) however just because you BQ and are referred does not mean you will get an interview.

They interview 3 people for every 1 spot. So if they need 3 people they interview 9 but there are 20 on the list 11 don't get called. As far as changing your preference if another institution e mails you. It's the same as far as if you get an interview. Your simply BQd and referred but that alone e doesn't guarantee an interview there either. Have seen sometimes changing work and sometimes they are better off leaving it alone.

How do they pick? Sometimes folks know someone, sometimes it's just luck.

If you put in for a stand alone FCI you will most likely not get an interview. Put in for an FCC or stand alone USP and the odds will be better since they do more hiring. And if we ever get back to peak hiring again FCC's go through lists pretty quick. And lists are good for I believe 90 days but they can request another list at 60 days. But if your on the first list you will also be on the second as long as your app is still a tone so don't think it's a done deal if your simply referred. Until the firm offer it isn't over.

Good luck.

Comment

• in625shooter, does it stand true that for every 1 spot there are 3 applicants that interview and each list includes 20 best qualiied applicants (for all federal positions)?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17004 users online. 428 members and 16576 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X