• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trax_XLT View Post
    Care to explain?
    You just need general work experience to start as a GL5

Comment

Care to explain?
      It will depend on the institution as in how much competition is needed. While general work experience is good enough on paper to BQ as a 5. If it's a joint that has a steady stream of applicants with a lit of Corrections and or Military preference than one with no corrections or Military will be behind the power curve. Just because one BQ doesn't mean an interview is a given. They still have a rating within the BQ and those with Military get a bump.

Comment

Question about the new uniforms posted on sallyport.... I've already been told by a Lt that the nickel gray's will only be worn by shu and facilities. A few old timers have said they're planning on wearing the nickel gray top with black 5.11's. Any official guidance or memo from region yet on the new uniforms coming out next month?
        Nothing has been put out as fact yet. In the old days nickle Grey's (actually just grey Dickey's) were reserved for SHU and Facilities staff. The new grey uniforms look like regular uniforms so I have a feeling the will be authorized anywhere. Time will tell though. Most will opt for the polo in my neck of the woods.

Comment

• Hello all,

Can someone provide some insight for me please? I am a 46 year old veteran who is considering applying for the BP. I am set to take the test in a few weeks time. I understand the age restriction has been waived to protected veterans.

Has anyone know of new hires in my age group? Has anyone been at the academy with someone my age?

Also, apparently protected veterans are eligible for "Expedited Hiring Process". What does that actually mean?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• Anyone know when the BOP is going to lift their hiring freeze? I'm looking to get into Coleman!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gazie View Post
              Hello all,

Can someone provide some insight for me please? I am a 46 year old veteran who is considering applying for the BP. I am set to take the test in a few weeks time. I understand the age restriction has been waived to protected veterans.

Has anyone know of new hires in my age group? Has anyone been at the academy with someone my age?

Also, apparently protected veterans are eligible for "Expedited Hiring Process". What does that actually mean?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
              We have hired a few Veterans under the waiver. Not a big deal. As far as expedited hiring there isn't really one other than they might push through slightly quicker. But quick isn't quick in BOP so be patient, especially with the budget/hiring slowdown we're under. Spots are coming open but not like they were.

And just a pet peeves BOP doesn't have an Academy. It's an introduction to corrections course. 3 weeks of classes. Again not a big deal.

Good luck

Comment

• Gazie
                Gazie commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for the information. Greatly appreciated!

• Originally posted by NCG128 View Post
              Anyone know when the BOP is going to lift their hiring freeze? I'm looking to get into Coleman!!
              There isn't a hiring freeze in BOP. We are just not allowed to hire until Manning goes under 89%. I believe Coleman is around 94% so it will be a minute for that joint

Comment

• What are others experiencing with the issue of outer-wear protective vests? Almost non-existent at my place, except for the exec staff. Grunt workers who want it have been paying $100 out of pocket to buy theirs downtown, rather than wait for BOP to issue it. I was measured many months ago.

Comment

• Capt_Falco
                  Capt_Falco commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The best work related item I've ever purchased. I was trying to wait it out but each month we're told the order is pushed back so I caved and happy I did. Makes a huge difference when working SHU or compound on hot days, and the worst thing about doing doubles used to be wearing the inner vest for 16 hours

• in625shooter
                  in625shooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No one at my place has ordered the outer vest on their own dime. Just waiting. And I have to say. Just an observation. As far as the vest. (And I say this as someone that worked for 2 Municipal PDs and did my time overseas in armor) I laugh when I see the utter show of theatrics with staff stripping down to put a vest on after the metal detectors. Like "Look at me I'm doing so much for battle" or some shallow s&$t.

As a municipal PD guy wore safriland armor with a metal ballistic plate in 100 degree heat all the way to work and all the way home. Same as I do with the stab vest. It's really not a big deal.

• dox1842
                  dox1842 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I ordered one from Blaur tactical that looks more professional than the ones they are issuing. It was the same thing at my institution - everyone was talking about them but no official word as to when they would be issued so I figured we would get them a few years down the road. A few days after I got mine in the captains secretary started taking orders smh

• No stab vest for me, mine is hanging in the closet.

Comment

• I'm looking forward to turning mine in when I transfer this month

Comment

• I know BOP is kinda in a hiring freeze but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer in regards to applying for BOP.

1. I am currently a Corrections officer with BIA at a pay grade GL 6-2. Does BOP allow you to come on at a 6-2 or would I have to settle at a 5 or 6?

2. My wife and I are looking to try to get closer to home and most of the facilities are lows and minimum security facilities. Do they hire out of agency or are they pretty much transfers? Or should I be looking more at a medium or high to get started and then transfer?

Thanks for any help/advise.

Comment

• Yes you can get stepped out. Snarled facilities don't hire a mitch as a fcc. But they do hire

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamtay3000 View Post
                        I know BOP is kinda in a hiring freeze but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer in regards to applying for BOP.

1. I am currently a Corrections officer with BIA at a pay grade GL 6-2. Does BOP allow you to come on at a 6-2 or would I have to settle at a 5 or 6?

2. My wife and I are looking to try to get closer to home and most of the facilities are lows and minimum security facilities. Do they hire out of agency or are they pretty much transfers? Or should I be looking more at a medium or high to get started and then transfer?

1. Unless you are stepped out you won't loose money. If BOP brings you on at a 5 you would be placed at a 5 step 3 or 4 whatever is closest without you loosing money

2. It's easier to transfer to a low or minimum if you are already BOP however you are sort of in a unique situation since you are corrections with a different federal agency so you have your background and such done. Just what I would suggest is call the HR office of whatever joint you want. Explain and ARTICULATE that you are a CO with BIA but was interested in trading steering into BOP yada. That can help in they could (could) word it just right on an announcement on USA Jobs that only GOV employees can apply for. You already should BQ since your already a 6.

Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamtay3000 View Post
                          I know BOP is kinda in a hiring freeze but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer in regards to applying for BOP.

Anytime you move for one federal agency to another it's considered a transfer. I Transferred from DOD in 2014 to the Bureau. It took some doing but I was a GS05 step 5 and initially the Bureau brought me over as a GL06 step 1 and after some back and forth Grand Prairie had to correct all my SF-50's which should have brought me in as a GL06 step 4. The 10k back payment was nice.

Comment

• Nice! I am looking at leaving the Fed for local government (app in for State and County)
                            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14807 users online. 444 members and 14363 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X