Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J2H View Post
    BOP is hiring external nationwaide... I applied for a few in SC
    Sorry but that is an open Continuous announcement. They use that to create a register for when an institution asks for a list for interviews. Same as it always is. Runs from March something to March something.

There is very very little external hiring going on right now despite any open Continuous announcement
    Last edited by in625shooter; 07-09-2017, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• J2H
      J2H commented
      Editing a comment
      That is still "technically" external recruitment, whether they actually hire anyone from that is a different story

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      J2, several agencies are recruiting and getting a paper trail in the preparation when they are allowed to hire. But as mentioned doesn't mean they will get permission to fill anything. Don't try an lay lawyer ball LOL

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Sorry but that is an open Continuous announcement. They use that to create a register for when an institution asks for a list for interviews. Same as it always is. Runs from March something to March something.

There is very very little external hiring going on right now despite any open Continuous announcement
    My institution just hired in custody, six officers off the street and one transfer. Regardless, after these new hires, we're still short about 20 in custody and 2 Lt's... Over 1/2 of the open slots are for 8's, so the morale is **** POOR among us officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trax_XLT View Post
      My institution just hired in custody, six officers off the street and one transfer. Regardless, after these new hires, we're still short about 20 in custody and 2 Lt's... Over 1/2 of the open slots are for 8's, so the morale is **** POOR among us officers.
      Everywhere is the same. They are short but if they are not below the 89% threshold they are not getting approved by central office. So if your joint hired you were way below the 89% and we're lucky.

Before they were allowed to just approve all hiring between the institution and region. The regional director had to approve all supervisor selections (LT, CAPT department heads) but now even if the region says OK they have to get it approved by Central Office which isn't approving much.

I k ow Pollock is short probably 5 LTs and Beaumont is short about 12 LT's complex wise. My institution is short 4 and they are not letting any of those 3 places hire any or even pull a LT Board. They are backfilling with Unit Managers or EPOs that have a LT background.

Lots of people were trying to promote out or lateral as LTs and this whole mess has really put a wrench in a lot of peoples plans.

Comment

• So they might be able to hire more in October?

Comment

• Originally posted by jcsd619 View Post
          So they might be able to hire more in October?
          If I were a betting man I'd say you will see it relaxed a little by then. They are doing their budget BS right now so that will play a part in it and being 1 Oct is when the fiscal year starts.

But at the rate of retirements they will have no choice but to start some by then.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Everywhere is the same. They are short but if they are not below the 89% threshold they are not getting approved by central office. So if your joint hired you were way below the 89% and we're lucky.

Before they were allowed to just approve all hiring between the institution and region. The regional director had to approve all supervisor selections (LT, CAPT department heads) but now even if the region says OK they have to get it approved by Central Office which isn't approving much.

I k ow Pollock is short probably 5 LTs and Beaumont is short about 12 LT's complex wise. My institution is short 4 and they are not letting any of those 3 places hire any or even pull a LT Board. They are backfilling with Unit Managers or EPOs that have a LT background.

Lots of people were trying to promote out or lateral as LTs and this whole mess has really put a wrench in a lot of peoples plans.

we about to be short two more LT's i heard that two there now are giving up their bars...

Comment

• I had been rated BQ and referred several months ago to a position at Yazoo City. Last week I got an email saying the announcement had been Canceled. Grand Prairie will only say the cert was returned with no selection made. They will not elaborate any further.

Does that mean they might readvertise hoping to get additional applicants, or possibly that the vacant position is being eliminated? My Lieutenant thinks Yazoo City is about to be downsized, and the announcement cancelation is no reflection on me, but rather that the vacancy is simply disappearing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Signal108M;n6511576]I had been rated BQ and referred several months ago to a position at Yazoo City. Last week I got an email saying the announcement had been Canceled. Grand Prairie will only say the cert was returned with no selection made. They will not elaborate any further.

Does that mean they might readvertise hoping to get additional applicants, or possibly that the vacant position is being eliminated? My Lieutenant thinks Yazoo City is about to be downsized, and the announcement cancelation is no reflection on me, but rather that the vacancy is simply disappearing. Any though

I wouldn't worry about Yazoo downsizing, it's already an established FCC just slow on activating the USP. It's more than likely they just decided to not fill the position. Keep your paperwork in because they could restart it anytime.

I would be more concerned with Thomson. They will eventually activate Thomson but it will really be hit with a slow up.

Funny how everything is in limbo right now. Give it some time and keep your paperwork on and keep looking for laterals.

Comment

• Hello guys I have questions for former or current BOP employees. I am currently in sales for PepsiCo, decent salary (55k) and benefits rarely work more than 40 hours a week and have weekends off. I have always wanted to get into law enforcement but unfortunately I am color defiencent and have failed out on the physical exam for SFPD, CHP, and recently CDCR all due to the same issue. I hold a 2 year degree in criminal justice is this enough for BOP? I was wondering if the BOP checks for color vision as I cannot find anything on it, also what the wages are like? I wouldn't mind making a little less if eventually I'll make more. I live about 30min away from Atwater so I thought heck why not try but thought I'd check with you folks first. Thanks in advance

Comment

• Capt_Falco
                    Capt_Falco commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think there is a simple color and vision test during the physical but I don't remember the specifics too well. In my first year I know a few gl5 officers in my class who killed OT and made over 70k, but where I'm at there is a lot of OT to go around. If you read the qualifications for the hiring announcement you should be able to qualify for the 5

• Originally posted by Pepsiguy View Post
                  ... I am color defiencent and have failed out on the physical exam for I was wondering if the BOP checks for color vision as I cannot find anything on it ...
                  This is taken from the Physical Standards policy:

(1) Visual Acuity and Color Vision. The applicant must have at least 20/30 vision with or without correction. If only one eye is present or functional, the examining health care practitioner will determine if an applicant can perform the physical ability test, the firearms component, and the self-defense component at the training center safely. Color vision is not required for primary correctional positions. For positions requiring color vision (e.g., electricians), the applicant must pass an approved color vision test.

The entire policy is at this link:
                  https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/3906.24.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Pepsiguy View Post
                    Hello guys I have questions for former or current BOP employees. I am currently in sales for PepsiCo, decent salary (55k) and benefits rarely work more than 40 hours a week and have weekends off. I have always wanted to get into law enforcement but unfortunately I am color defiencent and have failed out on the physical exam for SFPD, CHP, and recently CDCR all due to the same issue. I hold a 2 year degree in criminal justice is this enough for BOP? I was wondering if the BOP checks for color vision as I cannot find anything on it, also what the wages are like? I wouldn't mind making a little less if eventually I'll make more. I live about 30min away from Atwater so I thought heck why not try but thought I'd check with you folks first. Thanks in advance
                    If you don't have any relevant experience in security, law enforcement, or military, I believe the minimum qualification for GL-5 is a 4 year degree or equivalent (120 credits).

Comment

• I started as a gl5 officer with no degree and no experience

Comment

• The basic around here is GL-5 too
                        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post
                          I started as a gl5 officer with no degree and no experience
                          Care to explain?
                          Last edited by Trax_XLT; 07-28-2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• Question about the new uniforms posted on sallyport.... I've already been told by a Lt that the nickel gray's will only be worn by shu and facilities. A few old timers have said they're planning on wearing the nickel gray top with black 5.11's. Any official guidance or memo from region yet on the new uniforms coming out next month?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15320 users online. 463 members and 14857 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X