Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post

    HR seems clueless when I asked them. My joint is at 93% custody and they wanna be at 89% or something like that. I think it's going to be a long time.
    Its crazy how long this freeze been going on. I am ready to start a career lol!

    Comment


    • Become a secretary if you wanna go unit team you'll be doing the paperwork for it

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Trax_XLT View Post
        It may be quicker to start in custody and then work your way up to a unit team position. I generally believe they hire within and prefer to promote counselors into case management positions. Career progression would look similar to this: Custody>Counselor>Case Manager>Unit Manager. Could anybody else confirm?
        In almost 18 years of BOP I have never seen a Counselor go into Case Manager. Either Officer or there have been a few Secretares that jumped into Case Manager.

        The reason is to be a counselor you have to 1 get your GS 8 which can be difficult and you have to be an 8 for a year to get your 9 Counselor and that is difficult because there are less Counselor spots than Case Managers.

        Counselor are tapped out at GS9 and case managers go to GS 11 automatically.

        Counselors are a good job for old GS 8s that did their to me and are slowing down the last 3 years to retire is how it generally goes

        Comment


        • Is it unlikely for someone to get hired as an entry level Case Manager at a different joint then where they work?

          Comment


          • I assume you means the opening at Edgefield? All you can do is apply...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
              Is it unlikely for someone to get hired as an entry level Case Manager at a different joint then where they work?
              Not really but you have to look at the way the announcement is worded. As long as your bit above a GS 10 you usually won't loose any money going to a case manager. It usually is a 5,7,9,11 gig. Say your an 8 officer they will put you at (sometimes) a 5 or 7 step 00 which means you keep your 8 pay presuming your maxed out at a 8 step 10. If your not maxed out or getting paid more than the grade then it would fall somewhere similar to what you are making.

              No as far as the announcement. Folks lateral all the time to other joints but the announcement reads "BOP Reassignment elegibles" then they have someone they have in mind (someone transfered there recently and their spouses work for Bop) or 2 it could be a place or a job they have a hard time filling in location or maybe they posted it a couple times and no one there wanted it or couldn't BQ to be considered

              But at the same time don't read into it too much. Don't listen to anyone just apply and make THEM tell you no!

              ​​​​​​

              Good lick

              Comment


              • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

                Not really but you have to look at the way the announcement is worded. As long as your bit above a GS 10 you usually won't loose any money going to a case manager. It usually is a 5,7,9,11 gig. Say your an 8 officer they will put you at (sometimes) a 5 or 7 step 00 which means you keep your 8 pay presuming your maxed out at a 8 step 10. If your not maxed out or getting paid more than the grade then it would fall somewhere similar to what you are making.

                No as far as the announcement. Folks lateral all the time to other joints but the announcement reads "BOP Reassignment elegibles" then they have someone they have in mind (someone transfered there recently and their spouses work for Bop) or 2 it could be a place or a job they have a hard time filling in location or maybe they posted it a couple times and no one there wanted it or couldn't BQ to be considered

                But at the same time don't read into it too much. Don't listen to anyone just apply and make THEM tell you no!

                ​​​​​​

                Good lick
                Thank you Shooter. From what I've observed in almost two years is that most AWs and Wardens moved up through Unit Team or Education. It seems to be the fast track way. Sorry to be off topic, but do you think BOP is a good resume builder for ICE? I know some Deportation Officer offices deal with detained illegal aliens. It's like being a CO but getting paid as a GS- 12.

                Comment


                • Exbpa340
                  Exbpa340 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There may be some locations where a Deportation Officer is like a CO but that would probably be at their SPCs. At the Field and Suboffices it is nothing like a CO.

              • Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post

                Thank you Shooter. From what I've observed in almost two years is that most AWs and Wardens moved up through Unit Team or Education. It seems to be the fast track way. Sorry to be off topic, but do you think BOP is a good resume builder for ICE? I know some Deportation Officer offices deal with detained illegal aliens. It's like being a CO but getting paid as a GS- 12.
                The advantage for getting your 12 13 then 14 AW in BOP is case managers go automatically up to 11 which opens up more doors.

                As far as ICE it can help but you can find positive and negative stories

                Comment


                • P.I.D.I01
                  P.I.D.I01 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ICE has detention work yes. But there are also dockets and street work to be done. You are not a traditional CO as some field offices work out of detention centers and we house our detainees in some county jails. But it's nothing like the BOP the resume is a good start but anything is a good start depending on how you word it.

              • This was posted a few days ago on a Union FB page. Basically the hiring will be intermittently done for the immediate future. I know there are a lot of hoops to jump through. The institution has to fill out a request to the Region. Region says Yeah or Neah. If Yeah send to Central Office and the Director has to approve it. Has slowed up moves like crazy. There are several dozen Capt and LT jobs not even getting approved.

                Personally I look for it to both even slightly pick up at all until October. Just from the way retirements and such are going.

                https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-s...90682?mod=e2fb

                Comment


                • So, I have been working for the BOP about 6 months now, and I just got a call from my background investigator.

                  He called and advised me he was assigned to my back ground investigation and asked if i was still working at an address I have never worked at before. I told him I have never worked there and he asked if I was still working for the State and I told him no, I am now working for the BOP for the last 6 months. He seemed kind of clueless and it made me think it might be a scam.

                  He went on to advise to to talk to my HR department at the prison and set up a meet for an interview there, and this kind of made me ease off a bit..but still...

                  Should the background investigators not know that they are doing the back ground check for employment at the BOP? Anyone else have an experience like this? Was weird.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Achyuta View Post
                    So, I have been working for the BOP about 6 months now, and I just got a call from my background investigator.

                    He called and advised me he was assigned to my back ground investigation and asked if i was still working at an address I have never worked at before. I told him I have never worked there and he asked if I was still working for the State and I told him no, I am now working for the BOP for the last 6 months. He seemed kind of clueless and it made me think it might be a scam.

                    He went on to advise to to talk to my HR department at the prison and set up a meet for an interview there, and this kind of made me ease off a bit..but still...

                    Should the background investigators not know that they are doing the back ground check for employment at the BOP? Anyone else have an experience like this? Was weird.
                    They normally contact you for a sit down face to face interview. What has more than likely happened is he is reading everything but remember you didn't currently work for BOP when you filled it out (you just got through the interview). Don't worry about it. As far as what he should have known some are a little distant and are going off what they read. Short of any outright like your fine. He/she will ask you clarification on a few things no biggie. It's usually what is flagged from their main office in Dallas. No big deal the BI just has to write it up and send it back.

                    They are usually some dates or such that might have overlapped. Especially with Military service

                    Again unless you out right lied or are a cartel member your probably ok. They have made it better because now HR goes through any obvious show stopper right at the interview day so they end it for you to correct it and come back vs get hired and then get walked out and wait 3 yeara.

                    Since they have changed it. I have only seen 2 people walked out over background checks the last 3-4 years and we have hired about 200 staff member. Years and years ago folks were getting walked out every other IF class.

                    Good luck

                    Comment


                    • Any external hiring for bop yet?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jcsd619 View Post
                        Any external hiring for bop yet?
                        I haven't heard of any. Any place has to go way below 89% before they can and most places are above 90% so I will be surprised if they do much at all before Oct 1st. Unless a large majority of folks elegible to retire do which you never know. JMHO

                        Comment


                        • Yes quite a few postings have been made for specific jobs since the freeze. I know my prison has been doing interviews. I heard that they will be able to bring people on in late September or early October

                          Comment


                          • BOP is hiring external nationwaide... I applied for a few in SC
                            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 18567 users online. 474 members and 18093 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X