300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dod299 View Post

I'm waiting for a gig with CBP Office of Air and Marine(OAM) as a marine interdiction agent. It sucks the only vacancies they've had in recent is PR and the VI. Wife said nope.
    Not to long ago I remember seeing BP marine intradiction in jax FL and sav ga. It's probably been a year ago though

Comment

• 2018 budget proposal targets federal employee benefits and retirement in multiple ways. This article from the Washington Post is dated 18 May 2017:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7253624b4d4a
      Last edited by Signal108M; 05-20-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post
        2018 budget proposal targets federal employee benefits and retirement in multiple ways. This article from the Washington Post is dated 18 May 2017:

They can possibly increase some contributions but will be hard. They upped the amount new employees have to contribute from around 1% to those hired sometime in 2012 and after will be effective for new hires much like the change from CSRS to FERS. CSRS folks were allowed to voluntarily change to the new FERS but they could not change it across the board.

So it most likely will be more of a concern to someone trying to get hired IF and a BIG IF it gets passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

They can possibly increase some contributions but will be hard. They upped the amount new employees have to contribute from around 1% to those hired sometime in 2012 and after will be effective for new hires much like the change from CSRS to FERS. CSRS folks were allowed to voluntarily change to the new FERS but they could not change it across the board.

So it most likely will be more of a concern to someone trying to get hired IF and a BIG IF it gets passed.

The budget proposal is just that, a proposal. Still would have to be voted on by Congress. With Republicans controlling both the House and Senate, no idea how it might go. The President might get everything he asks for; then again he might only get bits and pieces. Members of Congress, especially those in the House of Representatives who are up for re-election every two years, are sensitive to alienating their constituents.

Then again, there are vast swaths of the general voting public (who are not feds) who think federal employees are grossly overpaid, underworked, and have retirement benefits which are worthy of royalty. In all fairness, and in my opinion, the ability to continue participating in the federal employee health insurance program after retirement is a benefit worth its weight in gold.

My biggest single issue with the proposal is no more cost of living adjustments for retiree pensions. Everything else I could tolerate, I think.

Comment

The budget proposal is just that, a proposal. Still would have to be voted on by Congress. With Republicans controlling both the House and Senate, no idea how it might go. The President might get everything he asks for; then again he might only get bits and pieces. Members of Congress, especially those in the House of Representatives who are up for re-election every two years, are sensitive to alienating their constituents.

Then again, there are vast swaths of the general voting public (who are not feds) who think federal employees are grossly overpaid, underworked, and have retirement benefits which are worthy of royalty. In all fairness, and in my opinion, the ability to continue participating in the federal employee health insurance program after retirement is a benefit worth its weight in gold.

My biggest single issue with the proposal is no more cost of living adjustments for retiree pensions. Everything else I could tolerate, I think.

While cutting or doing away with certian Retirement "perks" is a wet dream for many Republicans most moderates and almost all Democratic reps as well as the Union will gut this in committee. Then the Union lawyers will be involved because much of these proposals they can not make retroactive. Like I mentioned, it would be concerning g if you were yet to come into fed service but they would have a large legal obsticals to make it retroactive.

And as good as the Union is they are like anyone, they overstate the doom and gloom and people run with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post

Not to long ago I remember seeing BP marine intradiction in jax FL and sav ga. It's probably been a year ago though
              Yea I saw, however I didn't meet the time in grade requirements at that time..

Comment

• I have a question for those that are hired with military time but haven't retired. I have 10 years active duty Marine Corps service. If I buy back my 10 years would this have any effect on how much leave I would earn or seniority I would have within the facility I would be hired at? Also how does would these extra 10 years effect my retirement?

Comment

• You'll come in getting 6 hours of annual leave a pay period. Sick leave us still 4 hours. I can't answer the buy back questions

Comment

• Originally posted by Usmc1586 View Post
                    I have a question for those that are hired with military time but haven't retired. I have 10 years active duty Marine Corps service. If I buy back my 10 years would this have any effect on how much leave I would earn or seniority I would have within the facility I would be hired at? Also how does would these extra 10 years effect my retirement?
                    +10% towards retirement computation, 6 hours of annual leave earned per pay check. After five years as a fed (15 years total including military time), you bump up to 8 hours of annual leave earned per pay check.

Comment

2018 budget proposal targets federal employee benefits and retirement in multiple ways. This article from the Washington Post is dated 18 May 2017:

what do they mean when they say "Eliminate cost of living adjustments (COLA) for current and future FERS employees" that part has be worried
                      officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

• [QUOTE=hexen220;n6486640]

what do they mean when they say "Eliminate cost of living adjustments (COLA) for current and future FERS employees" that part has be worried[/Q

It's a wet dream for some Republicans. They have similar things mentioned every year. That's why there is always a fight. A much watered down version comes out. It's hard to justify. Of course the Union will spread their fear mongering they do but it won't go anywhere

Comment

• [QUOTE=in625shooter;n6486692]
                          Originally posted by hexen220 View Post

what do they mean when they say "Eliminate cost of living adjustments (COLA) for current and future FERS employees" that part has be worried[/Q

It's a wet dream for some Republicans. They have similar things mentioned every year. That's why there is always a fight. A much watered down version comes out. It's hard to justify. Of course the Union will spread their fear mongering they do but it won't go anywhere
                          ...even if they do pass language to eliminate COLA, would it only apply to feds entering civil service? I'm sure we'd be grandfathered.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Trax_XLT;n6486775]
                            Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                            ...even if they do pass language to eliminate COLA, would it only apply to feds entering civil service? I'm sure we'd be grandfathered.
                            I couldn't get it quoted to add here but, I actually mentioned that about 2-4 responses before this one. I stated it would be hard to be made retroactive and folks waiting to come in to service would be the ones to be concerned

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to jump ship. Unfortunately, Shooter is right about a lot of people wanting to leave but never make it. It seems like CBP and BP are the only two constantly hiring. USA Jobs has been pretty dead for the past year. I'm hearing FAM aren't hiring for a long time too.
                              Does anyone know when the BOP will be lifting the hiring freeze?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCG128 View Post

Does anyone know when the BOP will be lifting the hiring freeze?
                                HR seems clueless when I asked them. My joint is at 93% custody and they wanna be at 89% or something like that. I think it's going to be a long time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17922 users online. 475 members and 17447 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X