Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of news apparently the Union and BOP have reached an agreement on Gun lockers, apparently its on sallyport. I'm on annual leave for the week so I cant check.. there is a bill that mandates this same thing and it made it though the House, if you would like to track it's progress the Bill number is HR 613

Comment

• Originally posted by dod299 View Post
      Bit of news apparently the Union and BOP have reached an agreement on Gun lockers, apparently its on sallyport. I'm on annual leave for the week so I cant check.. there is a bill that mandates this same thing and it made it though the House, if you would like to track it's progress the Bill number is HR 613
      yrs it git Sally port yesterday. Details are to be forthcoming but BOP finally pulled their head out and agreed saying they are changing policy (thus making 50% of the vehicles in the parking lot legal LOL)

That was the #1 and 2 most violated policy they over looked anyway. Firearms in cars and reservation housing.

The bill is going to pass anyway which is good so then any future Bureau leadership can't reverse it.

Comment

• Once all the policy and procedure details are ironed out we will be able to leave our personal firearm in our vehicle in a lockbox which meets BOP specifications. Those specs will be announced soon.

Now, if they would just get moving with internal transfers, internal promotions, etc, as well as external hiring ..................

Last edited by Signal108M; 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

...... they are changing policy (thus making 50% of the vehicles in the parking lot legal LOL)

Comment

• Would this new policy allow us to open carry to and from work in uniform or is that a whole other can of worms?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
              Would this new policy allow us to open carry to and from work in uniform or is that a whole other can of worms?
              If I remember the Sallyport announcerment correctly (someone please correct me if this is wrong), the wording dealt strictly with coming onto BOP property and leaving a personal firearm in your vehicle, in a BOP approved lockbox. The wording also made brief reference to this being applicable while in your vehicle to BOP employees entitled by state concealed carry permit and/or LEOSA status. It didn't get into wearing a concealed firearm while off duty and going into WalMart, nor did it get into specifics of open carry while in uniform and coming to work.

Again, the announcement was limited to storing the firearm in your vehicle on BOP property. All those other peripheral considerations, while certainly valid, weren't addressed to my recollection.
              Last edited by Signal108M; 05-17-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Would this new policy allow us to open carry to and from work in uniform or is that a whole other can of worms?
                Under LEOSA your not suppose to open carry but when would you anyway. It's only to save your skin your not kicking in doors or do you have any Statutory Powers of arrest off duty so again why open carry?

Comment

Open carry is determined via state law. There are over 30 plus states who either dealt with this issue by enacting legislation or relying on common law(which anything not specifically deemed unlawful is lawful). Florida is one such state that open carry generally unlawful subject to some exemptions.

if you choose to open carry make sure you check your state laws on this. Surprisingly NY is an open carry state it's an oversight on their part due to their strict rules for purchasing, transportation and carriage of firearms. If your in NY, I don't recommend trying it.

Comment

• Just read about a bill to increase the journey man GS pay grade for deputy marshals to 13, I wonder if that could possibly help to lead the way for an increase for BOP officers or hopefully make the 8 automatic. If an officer would go to 8/9 I think it would help turn over rate in a big way.
                    BOP 10/04/2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt_Falco View Post
                      Just read about a bill to increase the journey man GS pay grade for deputy marshals to 13, I wonder if that could possibly help to lead the way for an increase for BOP officers or hopefully make the 8 automatic. If an officer would go to 8/9 I think it would help turn over rate in a big way.
                      Around 2003 there was a push by some old school USP Wardens (when we had old school Wardens) to make GS 8 automatically at USPs due to increased business. It so.oly went away because Lappin the director didn't want to spend the money. I don't see that changing today across the board or for just USP's.

as far as folks leaving BOP. Not the mass turnover you thing. Several want to but there are only 3,000 US Marshals 10,000 FBI agents etc. Border Patrol hires a lot and a few have left but just not what you'd think
                      Last edited by in625shooter; 05-18-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Around 2003 there was a push by some old school USP Wardens (when we had old school Wardens) to make GS 8 automatically at USPs due to increased business. It so.oly went away because Lappin the director didn't want to spend the money. I don't see that changing today across the board or for just USP's.

as far as folks leaving BOP. Not the mass turnover you thing. Several want to but there are only 3,000 US Marshals 10,000 FBI agents etc. Border Patrol hires a lot and a few have left but just not what you'd think

If Trumps mass ICE hiring idea actually goes through, I think BOP will lose quite a bit of bodies. It's hard to stay when you're guaranteed a GS-12 in 4 years.

Comment

• I got a search saved if it pops up working on dropping more weight I've lost 89 pounds since December. I'd like to go to ice

Comment

If Trumps mass ICE hiring idea actually goes through, I think BOP will lose quite a bit of bodies. It's hard to stay when you're guaranteed a GS-12 in 4 years.
                            Respectfully not gonna happen in mass numbers. In 17 years I have seen lots of mass hiring for Border Patrol, Air Marshals etc. About all the guys that went to the Air Marshals we're back within a year. There will be a few transfer over but many talk a good game, many won't get through the process and many change their direction. Usually around the 10 year mark or when they teach around 40 years of age you decide heck with it. And if you have kids and a spouse that usually compounds the problem or obstacles with going to a 5 month academy, moving to a large city, finding housing, schools for kids etc etc.

Personally I didn't plan on staying in BOP long. I worked a couple municipal PD's, the Mitary and Marshal service. But after going through several trainings you get to the point where your like screw going through another one.
                            ​​​​​​​One thing that's important the older you get is in BOP you don't stand at accident sites in snow, cold, rain, wind heat and humidity. All the violence you see is in mate on inmate so no big deal,

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post
                              I got a search saved if it pops up working on dropping more weight I've lost 89 pounds since December. I'd like to go to ice
                              I'm waiting for a gig with CBP Office of Air and Marine(OAM) as a marine interdiction agent. It sucks the only vacancies they've had in recent is PR and the VI. Wife said nope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post
                                I got a search saved if it pops up working on dropping more weight I've lost 89 pounds since December. I'd like to go to ice
                                Keep up the good work. I can't wait to jump ship. Unfortunately, Shooter is right about a lot of people wanting to leave but never make it. It seems like CBP and BP are the only two constantly hiring. USA Jobs has been pretty dead for the past year. I'm hearing FAM aren't hiring for a long time too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12067 users online. 403 members and 11664 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X