Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston has one of the highest locality pays in the country so I've heard that it's pretty hard to get in

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

FDC's and MCC's can be pretty mundane. Vast majority of those inmates are there for a very short time. You have pre trail detainees and ones convicted tht are immediately remanded to custody.
      Does BOP provide secure parking (hopefully free) when you work downtown in a FDC or MCC? Or perhaps free subway passes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post

Does BOP provide secure parking (hopefully free) when you work downtown in a FDC or MCC? Or perhaps free subway passes?
        Probably not. There could be designated lots but not sure about secure or cost. I know a few staff that came from Chicago complained about their parking. I've never had any desire to work at an FDC/MCC so didn't really care about researching it..

Comment

• i just reapplied, for FCC Beaumont why does it not let you choose which unit- low, medium or USP.
          Will they let you choose later?.......i have no desire to go to a USP..........just trying to use BOP as a stepping stone

Comment

• More than likely you will be working at the usp a lot you won't really have. A choice till you have enough senority more than likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
              i just reapplied, for FCC Beaumont why does it not let you choose which unit- low, medium or USP.
              Will they let you choose later?.......i have no desire to go to a USP..........just trying to use BOP as a stepping stone
              I'm not trying to sway you or anything, but your desires aren't the BOP's concerns, and if you're scared of going to a USP, you shouldn't be in this line of work to begin with.

If you're apprehensive because you've never worked in this environment, that's to be expected.

Inmates are inmates, and they can all act like pen inmates at any given time.

At most FCC's, you'll be at the institution that they need you to work when you're on sick and annual rotation and then when you can bid you'll likely get what's left over at the USP, since you can bid on any institution.

At some places, like Coleman, you're assigned to a certain institution to work at, and you'll bid for posts at that institution only. So if you're assigned to the Medium, that's where you work, but you have NO SAY in what institution the BOP places you.
              I don't know everything, but I am a superlative Googler.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

They are very different. There are staff at FCI's that have seen nothing more than a bloody nose in a 20 year career. Staff at a USP with an active yard will see a LOT not serious incidents in short order.

A lot different inmates and inmate Management's. USPs aren't worried about petty BS like an extra Food Service item like a low or medium FCI can be.
                I agree with Shooter USP, is a very different beast than an FCI med. My 1st two years in the Bureau were spent at FCC Pollock, and it opened my eyes very quickly, however now that I'm at standalone med, it's vastly different, to me the inmates are wayyy more disrespectful and whine more.

however, my joint has a seen a rise in K2, and Suboxin and with that comes a rise in violence, also with the new post system were seeing more and more USP inmates coming down to the med. And not leaving the USP mentality behind, I sort of understand maybe why I've been in SHU for last 3 qtrs kind of reminds me of the structure of a USP.

So I can see FCI'S becoming a but harder in the coming years.

Comment

• does any one know anything about La Tuna FCI in El Paso, Tx?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jcsd519 View Post
                    does any one know anything about La Tuna FCI in El Paso, Tx?
                    It's FCI cupcake. Not much happens. Almost zero OT. Not great options for renting buying especially if you have kids. A lot of staff live in Las Cruces NM which is only slightly better than El Paso.

Comment

• does anyone have any info on FCI Herlong or FCI Mendota? and which is better to get hired on to?

Comment

does anyone have any info on FCI Herlong or FCI Mendota? and which is better to get hired on to?
                        Seeing as how both places are offering incentives I would assume either would be easier than other places to get hired at. Current advertisement: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/466179200)

Comment

Seeing as how both places are offering incentives I would assume either would be easier than other places to get hired at. Current advertisement: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/466179200)
                          thanks, any info on the units itself, are they good units to work at(management,morale,coworkers etc...)

or bad place since they are offering incentives?

Comment

thanks, any info on the units itself, are they good units to work at(management,morale,coworkers etc...)

or bad place since they are offering incentives?
                            Sorry, never been to either place, so these comments are just educated guesses.
                            1. Incentive might be needed due to higher cost of living (although that should be covered by locality pay adjustment).
                            2. Incentive might be needed because these places are truly in the middle of nowhere, in a cultural wasteland.
                            3. Incentive might be needed because they're in California (a culture and mindset which some non-Californians simply cannot tolerate). I experienced that while on active duty and stationed in California.

Comment

Sorry, never been to either place, so these comments are just educated guesses.
                              1. Incentive might be needed due to higher cost of living (although that should be covered by locality pay adjustment).
                              2. Incentive might be needed because these places are truly in the middle of nowhere, in a cultural wasteland.
                              3. Incentive might be needed because they're in California (a culture and mindset which some non-Californians simply cannot tolerate). I experienced that while on active duty and stationed in California.
                              Pretty much ^^^THIS^^^

I've worked with folks that worked at both. They are pretty low key joints for the most part. Herlong is more out in the middle of nowhere than Mendota. A lot of staff commute from the Reno NV area to Herlong which isn't an easy task in the winter term with some of the mountains.

Mendota has a little more areas but you will pay for it. Both places an hour drive isn't out of the norm.

Good luck

Comment

• Is everything frozen right now? I've applied for Corrections, ICE(4 different locations), Veteran Affairs police officer(3 different locations) and haven't heard a peep from any of them for almost a month now. No rejection or any advancement in the hiring process. Is April just a bad time to apply for jobs? Why are all these positions available on usajobs.gov if they're not going to actually hire anyone?

When I applied for Corrections last year, I was referred after a few days. ICE rejected me everytime I applied, which sucked, but at least they gave me a response instead of nothing.
                                Last edited by Greg00; 04-10-2017, 06:51 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8993 users online. 451 members and 8542 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X