Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooter is correct with the hiring freeze in effect I was told to reapply for the next announcement didn't get my firm offer before the announcement closed

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

You are hit since you waited. But here is why You have about 3 problems. 1st is the OF form was for setting up interviews for that register they pulled. You don't really have the option to fill it out on your whim. They want to interview folks in the immediate future.

2nd The correctional Officer announcement that is open Continuous expired the first part of March so you will have to re apply to the new one.

3rd there is a hiring freeze and there is prediction s it will go for a months until the smoke clears. The other compounding problem is even though BOP is a LE agency and shouldn't be effected the leaders and acting g leaders (we have had an acting director for 18 months) they are afraid to make a decision on hiring or going to the new AG and press the issue.

So my advice is reapply to the new announcement and wait it out. They have trashed the last one and with the hiring freeze BOP never purged it making one last roster like was the norm in the past.

Good luck and I wouldn't blow it off again or if you apply for the same institution you won't get picked for an interview
      Pretty much what I suspected. Didn't realize there was a hiring freeze until now and thought I'd have no problem reapplying once it opened up again.
      The reason I held off was cause I had heard a lot of bad things about being a correctional officer in general. Was basically talked out of it by co-workers. One of them left the TSA to work at a max security prison and then ended up quitting and rejoining the TSA at a lower rank. Guess I just had cold feet.

I'll just have to wait for BOP to reopen. I'm also holding out hope that CBP/Customs forgoes the polygraph requirement for Vets and LE. Been hearing rumors that might happen.
      Last edited by Greg00; 03-19-2017, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg00 View Post

Pretty much what I suspected. Didn't realize there was a hiring freeze until now and thought I'd have no problem reapplying once it opened up again.
        The reason I held off was cause I had heard a lot of bad things about being a correctional officer in general. Was basically talked out of it by co-workers. One of them left the TSA to work at a max security prison and then ended up quitting and rejoining the TSA at a lower rank. Guess I just had cold feet.

I'll just have to wait for BOP to reopen. I'm also holding out hope that CBP/Customs forgoes the polygraph requirement for Vets and LE. Been hearing rumors that might happen.
        First BOP does blow at times. It's not a job where you get patted on the back for, it's not a tip of the spear LE Agency but neither is any FED LE agency. If you want to kick in doors go to a state or Municipal agency.

Most people that come to BOP never intended to or didn't plan on staying but do. I worked for the US Marshals service as a contract guard and came over. Almost 20 years later I'm planning my retirement shortly.

Good LE pay and retirement, bit standing in the weather working accidents etc (I was a municiple LEO so know that one) pretty easy and lots of room for advancement if you want to move. And covered by LEOSA

Cons, thankless job, takes a minute to get seniority to get weekends and such off (some you get it quicker than others) a couple could workers with absolutely no thought process with such antiquated ideas you will swear your in a museum.

There are probably a couple other things on each I'm forgetting but it's not as bad as some folks make it out most just are looking for that Pat on the head and you won't get it here.

Good luck
        Last edited by in625shooter; 03-19-2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

First BOP does blow at times. It's not a job where you get patted on the back for, it's not a tip of the spear LE Agency but neither is any FED LE agency. If you want to kick in doors go to a state or Municipal agency.

Most people that come to BOP never intended to or didn't plan on staying but do. I worked for the US Marshals service as a contract guard and came over. Almost 20 years later I'm planning my retirement shortly.

Good LE pay and retirement, bit standing in the weather working accidents etc (I was a municiple LEO so know that one) pretty easy and lots of room for advancement if you want to move. And covered by LEOSA

Cons, thankless job, takes a minute to get seniority to get weekends and such off (some you get it quicker than others) a couple could workers with absolutely no thought process with such antiquated ideas you will swear your in a museum.

There are probably a couple other things on each I'm forgetting but it's not as bad as some folks make it out most just are looking for that Pat on the head and you won't get it here.

Good luck
          Id also like to point out the fact that you have 20 Lt's who want you to do something 20 different ways. Zero consistency. After a situation happens, before you react, you have to think "hmmmmm who is working right now?"

Comment

• In my opinion the BOP is a good agency to get inside government. While we don't kick in doors and all of that the FCC I currently work at has its instances of action. I really think this job could be one of the most dangerous jobs in LE especially FED LE at times considering you're dealing with the worst of the worst everyday and all day and these ppl have the resources to get to you inside or outside the walls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dd1906 View Post
              In my opinion the BOP is a good agency to get inside government. While we don't kick in doors and all of that the FCC I currently work at has its instances of action. I really think this job could be one of the most dangerous jobs in LE especially FED LE at times considering you're dealing with the worst of the worst everyday and all day and these ppl have the resources to get to you inside or outside the walls.
              Yeah that's been my main concern. tbh. Is it different working in a max security prison compared to a low security?
              Last edited by Greg00; 03-21-2017, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Yeah that's been my main concern. tbh. Is it different working in a max security prison compared to a low security?
                In some aspects they're different. Our low and our max are ran differently because of the security level but we respond to more physical incidents at the max compared to our low

Comment

• Inmates at camps think they are entitled and whine more about everything

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post
                    Inmates at camps think they are entitled and whine more about everything
                    It's sooooo entertaining to see campers being brought to the FCI SHU when they are caught with cellphones. Their entitled eyes suddenly get very big when they see those fences, razor wire, lack of comfort amenities in their new temporary SHU home, etc. Personally I think it should be "one strike and you're out" at the camp. Violate camp rules and now you're a permanent FCI or USP resident. Good luck with all your new best friends.

Comment

They are very different. There are staff at FCI's that have seen nothing more than a bloody nose in a 20 year career. Staff at a USP with an active yard will see a LOT not serious incidents in short order.

A lot different inmates and inmate Management's. USPs aren't worried about petty BS like an extra Food Service item like a low or medium FCI can be.

Comment

• Yeah I don't take food unless they have enough to run a store with it at the pen. But I take a lot more food at the fci. One day I got 42 pieces of chicken and 75 cookies off one inmate

Comment

They are very different. There are staff at FCI's that have seen nothing more than a bloody nose in a 20 year career. Staff at a USP with an active yard will see a LOT not serious incidents in short order.

A lot different inmates and inmate Management's. USPs aren't worried about petty BS like an extra Food Service item like a low or medium FCI can be.
                          Good to know. The co-worker of mine worked at a USP(I think) and that might be why he didn't like it.
                          Looks like the position just opened up again on usajobs. Put in for MCC San Diego and FCI Terminal Island.

Comment

• FDC Houston. I have read some info on this unit from wiki.
                            anyone have any insight on this unit? what is like to work there?

Comment

• Are you already on the bop? If not I would suggest putting in for Beaumont and tryin to lateral in later on

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
                                FDC Houston. I have read some info on this unit from wiki.
                                anyone have any insight on this unit? what is like to work there?
                                FDC's and MCC's can be pretty mundane. Vast majority of those inmates are there for a very short time. You have pre trail detainees and ones convicted tht are immediately remanded to custody.

I'm personally not sure how much hiring Houston does but as others have mentioned you can get on at Beaumont since they do substantially‚Äčmore and lateral after a year

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10854 users online. 367 members and 10487 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X