Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep just internal stuff then a callsaying you've been selected. I got selected for a food service position open to the streets and had to interview got hired but stuck due to the freeze with no date in sight. All the internal laterals have been out on hold as well

Comment

• Any updates on uniforms? Stripe/no stripe in pants?

Comment

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post

Even by US government standards that seems a bit long. Any idea why? Any thoughts about the immediate future of that position or the incumbent?
        BOP is always slow. When Director Lappen unexpectedly retired in March of 2011 They appointed an acting Director (Kane) for several months until around Dec 2011. That was when Samuals was named Director. Then Samuals retired in 2015 they again appointed Kane as acting for the last 16 or so months.

​​​​​​​Plenty of speculation as to why so who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post

For folks in their first BOP position, who have been rated BQ and referred for a potential internal promotion/transfer, how does the process work once the referral takes place? (This is for a routine promotion, not for SES or appointment to the executive staff in Washington). Is there a written test, interview, etc, or just behind the scenes internal reference checking and then selection by (who)? Then a gaining warden to losing warden phone call ??

One LT at my joint said to just keep an eye on the USAJobs website, and if selected the green bubble will change from "referred" to "hired" or "selected." Generally no written test, no interview. Then perhaps a verbal congratulations from current supervisor.
          For BOP staff wanting to transfer /lateral etc. You put in for the job through USAjobs and get BQ you get referred (for a lateral you should automatically BQ) then they actually will vouch you out like a promotion. Capt to Capt AW to AW then Warden to Warden. Then you will get notified.

If it's a promotion where you will hold supervisory rank the RD has to approve the Wardens choice.

That being said you should get wind of getting vouched out before USAjobs updates their stuff.

Good luck

Comment

• I just updated my app with BOP at Estill, SC due to my Police job being cut
            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• Estill doesn't hire a lot I'd suggest putting in for coleman instead

Comment

• Originally posted by J2H View Post
                I just updated my app with BOP at Estill, SC due to my Police job being cut
                As Rmodel stated. Estill doesn't hire as many. Most stand alone FCI's are hit and miss. Coleman being a larger FACC you should have less issues getting on. More positions for applicants ratio. And after your year you can always put in to lateral closer to home.

Another plus (for some) at a place like Coleman you can make decent $$ with OT. Stand alone FCI's like Estill have virtually Zero.

Comment

• Where is Coleman?
                  USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                  "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

Where is Coleman?
                    Coleman is in Sumterville, Florida. Closest big city is Orlando.

Choose Coleman from this list of all BOP locations to see the four joints at that complex: https://www.bop.gov/locations/list.jsp

Comment

• Will they help with relocation? Have a house and family
                      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012

Comment

• Nope not until you're a supervisor. I moved 800 miles from georgia to louisiana to get in with the bop and stop my clock since I only had 5 more years to get in

Comment

• I'm not too worried about stopping the clock (since I have 9 years military and am currently a Fed employee)... I did apply to Coleman, however my wife will most likely tell me no
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012

Comment

• I think Edgefield is closer to you in elgin. I know my buddy got picked up there fairly quick claiming veterans preference

Comment

Will they help with relocation?
                              As mentioned by Rmodel1965, not until you're a supervisor. At least you can deduct your moving expenses from your income tax.
                              See: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html

But some joints in BFE are offering recruiting (and probably retention) bonuses. One might correctly assume those places are always eager to get applicants, otherwise why would they need to offer a bonus? In other words, here's your open door into the BOP. See the top right portion of the general job announcement: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/432395800/

Use the facility locator to find those places in BFE: https://www.bop.gov/locations/list.jsp

If nothing else, look at moving to a less-desirable location as how to get your foot in the door with BOP. Then after successfully completing your first year you'll become eligible for many opportunities (different jobs, different locations) which are generally not open to newcomers from the street.
                              Last edited by Signal108M; 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I'm not too worried about stopping the clock (since I have 9 years military and am currently a Fed employee)...
                                If you do lateral into BOP, closely track if/when your accrued leave balances transfer over. One would think it's an automated computer function, but nooooooo........ My local HR office and Grand Prairie took many pay periods to correctly adjust my leave balances, as well as my Service Computation Date, when I transferred from another gov't agency. Your losing agency has to provide paper documentation as proof (me providing my last pay stub from losing agency which listed that data was not acceptable proof), then someone at BOP has to manually enter the transferred balances into another database. Manually ... paper documentation ... computer databases which don't talk to each other.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18519 users online. 468 members and 18051 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X