300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post

That's disappointing. I thought "Public "Safety" positions were exempt from the freeze. That would include most of the DOJ and, I assumed, the BOP.
    Yea that's what I thought too but maybe since there is so much confusion about it HR is being told to say that instead of assuming. I was hoping to get a transfer sooner than later.

BOP 10/04/2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt_Falco View Post

Yea that's what I thought too but maybe since there is so much confusion about it HR is being told to say that instead of assuming. I was hoping to get a transfer sooner than later.
      That brings up another great point. If indeed the BOP is under the freeze, does that also apply to transfers of folks already on BOP's payroll? I've got three BQ referrals out there.

I lurk on a Defense Department forum, and DoD guidance seems to allow internal transfers of civilian DoD employees during the freeze, as long as the person stays within the same agency, such as Army to Army, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt_Falco View Post

I did my courtesy interview in a different state and still got picked up so I don't think that really effects you getting the job or not, especially at an FCC. I spoke to Coleman HR this morning, they are trying to fill 25 spots and that they will continue to make selections but cannot give a start date until the hiring freeze is lifted. Hopefully it won't be the full 90 days.
        when you say continue to make selections do you mean if they need more then 25 people?
        officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

• Originally posted by hexen220 View Post

when you say continue to make selections do you mean if they need more then 25 people?
          I mean jobs that are closed etc (more for those in BOP that out in for other promotions etc) BOP is still posting jobs and doing all the behind the scenes vouching people etc (what they do when they are co.ing up with who they want to select for say a LT, CAPT etc) and the specific Warden and Regional Director k ow who is getting selected but they are not notified until someone makes a decision. Basically they are filling the pipeline and once the OK is given there will be a floodgate opened.

Comment

My ICT phase 2 class at Glynco had several PHS commissioned officers in it. One PHS officer made honor grad, and it was confusing to the rest of us. To make honor grad, you had to do really well in academics, firearms, and defensive tactics. PHS didn't do firearms, so we were curious how the honor grad calculation was adjusted. Several non-PHS in my Glynco class were in the running for honor grad based on academics and defensive tactics, but the firearms ruined it for everyone. We weren't given time to zero the sights on the rifles, and everyone had loose target groupings including the guys in my class who were former military firearms instructors.
            PHS staff have to take cross development courses in lieu of firearms,
            ​​they have to pass with a certain percentile(I forgot what it was) in order to make honor grad.

Comment

That brings up another great point. If indeed the BOP is under the freeze, does that also apply to transfers of folks already on BOP's payroll? I've got three BQ referrals out there.

I lurk on a Defense Department forum, and DoD guidance seems to allow internal transfers of civilian DoD employees during the freeze, as long as the person stays within the same agency, such as Army to Army, etc.
              I was rushed for time earlier but here is a better explanation.

The problem with BOP is they are scared to make a decision. In OPM's memo agencies with public safety (which is BOP) can still hire (even saw a Border Patrol recruitment commercial) and that the freeze did not effect promotions etc. However last week the region's put out to local HR Office that since BOP has only an acting director and there was no Attorney General (until last night) they were waiting til that to resume. BOP then put out on Sally port today they were still waiting on guidance (surprise)

Now what has happened is they are still going forward with interviews and posting for prositions etc. They are still vouching out folks etc. They are just not making any official notifications at the moment.

And of course BOP went a step further and if staff that took moves were not in place by the 24th of January when the freeze memo was signed they were put on hold from leaving.

The major problem is several staff already sold their house and we're in temp quarters (that the relocation office was paying) and Relo cancelled took their money back and those staff although are still promoted when they get to their new duty station are stuck at their last duty station in limbo. Yes they still have a job etc but lots of in limbo stuff.

As far as new hiring they will go through the motions but no one will get a conditional or firm offer until BOP thinks it's OK.
              Last edited by in625shooter; 02-09-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• I got picked up for food service I turned in the family disclosure form the day trump signed the freeze. Usajobs says hired I'm just waiting to hear. I have about 4 other places wanting to interview me for food service as well.

Comment

• well I requested a courtesy interview for Coleman, and it was denied. I don't really care however the Hr lady told me there's about 300 applicants for 25 slots
                  officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

well I requested a courtesy interview for Coleman, and it was denied. I don't really care however the Hr lady told me there's about 300 applicants for 25 slots
                    They may be trying to expedite the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by dod299 View Post

They may be trying to expedite the process.
                      well there`s a hiring freeze, but i think they want people to complete the process and once April 20 hits, they`ll just send everyone at once

Comment

well there`s a hiring freeze, but i think they want people to complete the process and once April 20 hits, they`ll just send everyone at once
                        There is no date on the hiring freeze. So not sure where April 20 comes from. The open continuous CO announcement goes from March to March every year.

BOP is still announcing internal positions as well and BOP staff are still getting vouched out for their promotions just like new staff are getting all the behind the scenes stuff done and once BOP gets the word they will notify folks of their selection.

At first I thought this would last a couple weeks but with what is coming out of OPM and regional Hr offices and talking to an AW friend I'd say by the first to middle or March it will get back on track.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

There is no date on the hiring freeze. So not sure where April 20 comes from. The open continuous CO announcement goes from March to March every year.

BOP is still announcing internal positions as well and BOP staff are still getting vouched out for their promotions just like new staff are getting all the behind the scenes stuff done and once BOP gets the word they will notify folks of their selection.

At first I thought this would last a couple weeks but with what is coming out of OPM and regional Hr offices and talking to an AW friend I'd say by the first to middle or March it will get back on track.
                          the freeze started on 1/23 and they said it would be about 90 days i think

Comment

the freeze started on 1/23 and they said it would be about 90 days i think
                            Where BOP is different from the Exec order and OPMs guide CE there is no freeze for public safety factor (LE agencies) and OPM specifically states internal promotions won't be effected. BOP on the other hand being scared as they are put out since there was no Attorney General at the time (Sessions has since been confirmed) and we have been under an acting director for 18 months.

With the confirmation of Sessions they should have something rolling soon.

The other catch 22 like I stated several folks were in the middle of their moves sold their house were in temp quarters waiting to leave and if they did not report to their new location they are stuck at their last institution.

There are several Wardens and SES even a couple Regional Directors that are stuck. So it will get moving before April.

Comment

.... and we have been under an acting director for 18 months.

Even by US government standards that seems a bit long. Any idea why? Any thoughts about the immediate future of that position or the incumbent?

​​​​​​​

Comment

..... BOP is still announcing internal positions as well and BOP staff are still getting vouched out for their promotions.
                                For folks in their first BOP position, who have been rated BQ and referred for a potential internal promotion/transfer, how does the process work once the referral takes place? (This is for a routine promotion, not for SES or appointment to the executive staff in Washington). Is there a written test, interview, etc, or just behind the scenes internal reference checking and then selection by (who)? Then a gaining warden to losing warden phone call ??

One LT at my joint said to just keep an eye on the USAJobs website, and if selected the green bubble will change from "referred" to "hired" or "selected." Generally no written test, no interview. Then perhaps a verbal congratulations from current supervisor.

Last edited by Signal108M; 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9347 users online. 532 members and 8815 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X