Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which shifts are you likely to get coming in the door? I figured most people want day shifts and weekends off so will i get 2nd or 3rd shift with mid week off days? Just want to know what I'm getting in to. Or do they split shifts or do 3 days on 2 off? Any info about New York would be appreciated.
    I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
      Which shifts are you likely to get coming in the door? I figured most people want day shifts and weekends off so will i get 2nd or 3rd shift with mid week off days? Just want to know what I'm getting in to. Or do they split shifts or do 3 days on 2 off? Any info about New York would be appreciated.
      You will be on the rookie roster. For your first year you will bounce around every month. Sometimes you will have a training post with set days off other time what they call sick and annual with jobs, shifts and days off changing weekly. If you are at a larger FacC you will have a lot of variety, if your at a small stand alone FCI not so much.

      You will see some days but mostly evenings and morning watch

      Comment


      • Ok that's kinda what I expected. Btw, are arrangements allowed for religious reasons like the Sabbath? I'm going to a small MCC so not sure if it makes a difference or not. Also, and I'm not trying to be "that guy", but if I'm off duty and a see a guy beating the living crap out of his wife or girlfriend, can I detain him until the police arrive? I know In New York state, BOP and most Fed leo are state peace officers. Not trying to be super cop or anything, I just hate seeing that kind of thing and I will help anyone who needs it if I can.
        Last edited by Knightwolf; 11-29-2016, 07:00 PM.
        I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
          Ok that's kinda what I expected. Btw, are arrangements allowed for religious reasons like the Sabbath? I'm going to a small MCC so not sure if it makes a difference or not. Also, and I'm not trying to be "that guy", but if I'm off duty and a see a guy beating the living crap out of his wife or girlfriend, can I detain him until the police arrive? I know In New York state, BOP and most Fed leo are state peace officers. Not trying to be super cop or anything, I just hate seeing that kind of thing and I will help anyone who needs it if I can.
          You have no statutory powers of arrest off duty as a BOP employee (and very limited on duty and in 17 years I have never heard of a BOP staff effecting and arrest) So you would act on your own and if things go south would not be backed by the agency. And a BOP you are covered by LEOSA however as the agency does not require you to carry off duty again you are on your own.
          Last edited by in625shooter; 11-29-2016, 07:51 PM.

          Comment


          • In BOP in NYC or upstate NY, can BOP corrections officers carry off duty? I've been researching and have found about 10 different answers.

            Can you walk into a gun store and purchase a firearm with your ID and conceal carry in NYC and NYS? Are you actually covered under hr218?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FrankRizzo16 View Post
              In BOP in NYC or upstate NY, can BOP corrections officers carry off duty? I've been researching and have found about 10 different answers.

              Can you walk into a gun store and purchase a firearm with your ID and conceal carry in NYC and NYS? Are you actually covered under hr218?
              Ad BOP you ARE COVERED by LEOSA and can carry off duty. The problem specifically with NYC specifically is since the agency doesn't require you to carry or purchase a firearm for your job they will not give you an agency letterhead as some jurisdictions like NYC might require.

              Other than them not helping you with anything to purchase a firearm your allowed to carry it doesn't matter what NYCPD says etc your coveted by LEOSA which is Federal law.

              The only thing not specifically addressed is magazine capacity because there is no test cases of it. You fall under the state law on that. I look for that to be addressed in the next update. There has been 2 updates since the original LEOSA law in 2005 an update in 2010 and 2013

              Hollow points were not allowed unless you were "on duty or official buisness" as their statute read but the 2010 LEOSA update specifically addressed that and excluded any jurisdiction from enforcing anything on Hollow Points. Not aware of anyone being charged before that but was open to interpretation.

              There are 2 things that make LEOSA an issue. People input their personal opinion and their ego into it instead of simply reading it. It's really not rocket science.

              However you are only allowed to carry. You have no powers of arrest off duty etc so if you get into something you act on your own and not as a Federal employee
              Last edited by in625shooter; 12-01-2016, 04:47 PM.

              Comment


              • So as a nyc resident, where there is no such thing as a CCW, how would you go about buying a firearm?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by FrankRizzo16 View Post
                  So as a nyc resident, where there is no such thing as a CCW, how would you go about buying a firearm?
                  I'm not a NYC resident so I don't know the intricacies but do know it is an extreme PITA. And there is something about you have to apply for a permit to buy it unless your agency gives you a letterhead (which BOP wont per my earlier post)

                  I would never transfer there

                  Comment


                  • I get a green credential to carry with the Dept of Army
                    Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                    Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by FrankRizzo16 View Post
                      In BOP in NYC or upstate NY, can BOP corrections officers carry off duty? I've been researching and have found about 10 different answers.

                      Can you walk into a gun store and purchase a firearm with your ID and conceal carry in NYC and NYS? Are you actually covered under hr218?
                      I'm a former NYPD(MOS) 1996 - 2002, in short you would have to get a permit. I know areas outside of Nyc it's easier depending on the county. Nyc is a whole different beast, I'd apply for either a premises permit or a target, which allow you to purchase firearms in Ny and Nyc and carry under leosa. NYPD firearms section handles Nyc, also I belive NYPD is issuing unrestricted carry permits with a leosa endorsement these days check the website. I believe NYSP handles the all other areas.

                      Comment


                      • So let me get this one straight. You're saying in order to carry as a BOP officer in nyc, you would have to get a premises permit through NYPD, use that to buy a gun, then conceal carry that gun? Doesn't sound good.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by FrankRizzo16 View Post
                          So let me get this one straight. You're saying in order to carry as a BOP officer in nyc, you would have to get a premises permit through NYPD, use that to buy a gun, then conceal carry that gun? Doesn't sound good.
                          Basically you need a permit to buy a gun in NYC or even NY LEOSA does not lift any restrictions O. Buying a firearm only allows you to carry. BOP will not give you a letterhead since BOP does not "require" it's employees to carry off duty.

                          So while you are legally allowed to carry off duty by LEOSA and circumvent that law the state or NYC requires you to have a permit to purchase. Crazy I know

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

                            Basically you need a permit to buy a gun in NYC or even NY LEOSA does not lift any restrictions O. Buying a firearm only allows you to carry. BOP will not give you a letterhead since BOP does not "require" it's employees to carry off duty.

                            So while you are legally allowed to carry off duty by LEOSA and circumvent that law the state or NYC requires you to have a permit to purchase. Crazy I know
                            Bingo!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • My opinion if challenged in federal court, I'd believe Ny, and Nyc would lose in court. Due to it's purchase scheme being tied to it's permit issuance process. Under NYSCPL. Also, I think after Heller V DC, and Mcdonald V Chicago. I could see Nyc being forced to change it's stance reguarding issuance of firearms license for within the home. Once challenged.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by dod299 View Post
                                My opinion if challenged in federal court, I'd believe Ny, and Nyc would lose in court. Due to it's purchase scheme being tied to it's permit issuance process. Under NYSCPL. Also, I think after Heller V DC, and Mcdonald V Chicago. I could see Nyc being forced to change it's stance reguarding issuance of firearms license for within the home. Once challenged.
                                I don't disagree that the whole NYC permit to buy thing is total BS unfortunately it doesn't matter what we think.

                                The problem is even with the Heller and McDonald case look at Chicago and DC. They went from nothing to being able to purchase but those folks now have to jump through hoops much like NY.

                                If you have the money and resources since those cases are not cheP (and the NRA hasn't even stepped up) go for it

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 12674 users online. 495 members and 12179 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X