Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does BOP experience count toward any other FED LE agencies?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dd1906 View Post
      Does BOP experience count toward any other FED LE agencies?
      As far as experience doubtful but the clock stops as BOP you are covered by the 6C Fed LE retirement so you can transfer to another Agency (Luke FBI Marshals etc) after you turn 37

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post

That is incorrect. We are given a step and grade increase at the same time. I don't know why the BOP does it that way, and I notice that other agencies don't do it like that. It might have to do with our journeyman grade being only GL-7, or it may be something that the union helped negotiate. All I know is that it will be a welcome boost to my pay. Those who say that us feds get paid a lot would hate to see my paltry pay checks.
        Does that also apply to higher steps as well? If one came on board as a GL-6 step 10, would he then be promoted to GL-7 step 10 after a year? Apart from BOP policy, according to OPM (two step increments plus current pay) it should be GL-7 step 9. I could not locate the additional step in the union master agreement so there must be a memorandum floating around somewhere I'm assuming.... any idea where to locate it in writing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trax_XLT View Post
          Does that also apply to higher steps as well? If one came on board as a GL-6 step 10, would he then be promoted to GL-7 step 10 after a year? Apart from BOP policy, according to OPM (two step increments plus current pay) it should be GL-7 step 9. I could not locate the additional step in the union master agreement so there must be a memorandum floating around somewhere I'm assuming.... any idea where to locate it in writing?
          Just asking how did you (or whoever this scenario is based off of) go to a GS 6 step 10? Unless it's a secretary etc as 7 is automatic for Officers

In your scenario you would probably go to a GS 7 step 9. You could go to a step 10 if the pay from 6 10 was close enough when they look at the same pay on the 7 scale and add (usually) 2 steps.

The only time you would loose money is if you took an admin distractive bust from like a GS 11 to a 7 (some folks do just to move and certian politics keeps them from getting a paid move)

as far as writing g try the OPM website. Not exactly sure where but it's in there somewhere. Out of a 3-5 person HR Office one should be able to tell you

Comment

• I talked to the guy who started right after I did he came in as a 5-8, this year he's a 6-8 and I assume he will be a 7-8 next year

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Us older guys they took just under 1% but anyone after sometime in 2012 is like 4.9% ish.

That's for you to get the 1.7% per year for your first 20 years (34%) then you earn 1% per year after 20. And whatever your thrift amounts are as well as your social security supplement is

since i am TSA 2012 or before.....if i make it to BOP........would still be grandfathered in? under the 1% or would i fall in the 4.9% retirement category

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post

since i am TSA 2012 or before.....if i make it to BOP........would still be grandfathered in? under the 1% or would i fall in the 4.9% retirement category
                I would say since TSA is not under the FED LE retirement you more than likely would not be grandfathered with the lower % but something to bring up. All they can do is say no.
                Last edited by in625shooter; 11-26-2016, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I would say since TSA is not under the FED LE retirement you more than likely would not be grandfathered with the lower % but something to bring up. All they can do is say no.
                  If he was covered under FERS regardless of pay system and contributing to it on December 31, 2012 he will continue to pay 1.3%. Prior to my time in the BOP I spent a number of years with several other federal agencies as a non-LEO GS employee and obtained tenure (permanent career status). After being hired with the BOP (with a break in service), I was erroneously contributing 4.9 percent for retirement. My HR was unsure how to assist me, therefore I sent an email to OPM ([email protected]) and they submitted a help ticket into their system and a few weeks later I received back pay for several pay periods and a revised SF-50 was uploaded into my eOPF file.

https://www.opm.gov/blogs/Retire/201...oyee-FERS-RAE/

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-servi...014/14-107.pdf

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Just asking how did you (or whoever this scenario is based off of) go to a GS 6 step 10? Unless it's a secretary etc as 7 is automatic for Officers

In your scenario you would probably go to a GS 7 step 9. You could go to a step 10 if the pay from 6 10 was close enough when they look at the same pay on the 7 scale and add (usually) 2 steps.

The only time you would loose money is if you took an admin distractive bust from like a GS 11 to a 7 (some folks do just to move and certian politics keeps them from getting a paid move)

as far as writing g try the OPM website. Not exactly sure where but it's in there somewhere. Out of a 3-5 person HR Office one should be able to tell you
                  Highest grade I held was a GS-9 prior to coming on board with the BOP in custody. I'm currently a 6-10 and was told I'd be a 7-9 coming up, I was just curious as to why the extra step only applies to the lower end of the pay scale without anything in writing. Probably a decades old policy that has continued in the BOP. I can only suppose it's a little more incentive along with a retention bonus (if you're eligible) for officers just starting with the govt. I'm not complaining at all, but it would be nice if us crusty folks could rake up the extra cash for the TSP
                  Last edited by Trax_XLT; 11-27-2016, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dd1906 View Post
                    Does BOP experience count toward any other FED LE agencies?
                    May or may not. You just have to translate your experience into numbers and scope of responsibility. Many people use their first few years in the BOP to move onto other LEO agencies with career ladder positions (ie GL-9/11/12).
                    Last edited by Trax_XLT; 11-27-2016, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• Question. If something from a past job comes up, like a write up or something, that you legitimately forgot about, will they give you a chance to explain it or just dq you outright?
                      I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

• Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
                        Question. If something from a past job comes up, like a write up or something, that you legitimately forgot about, will they give you a chance to explain it or just dq you outright?
                        If it was one usually not a show stopper. We all forget things but what gets folks is several. We have not had near the folks get walked out like we did 15-17 years ago but one of the last ones they quite counting when they were at like 15 write-ups (there were more) at a kids last employer.

HR pretty much asks you several questions some the same as your E QUOTE. They are screening g obvious show stoppers so one doesn't get walked out like the old days. Be honest with them and for anything that gets forgotten (we might forget one simple thing) let them know.

Comment

If he was covered under FERS regardless of pay system and contributing to it on December 31, 2012 he will continue to pay 1.3%. Prior to my time in the BOP I spent a number of years with several other federal agencies as a non-LEO GS employee and obtained tenure (permanent career status). After being hired with the BOP (with a break in service), I was erroneously contributing 4.9 percent for retirement. My HR was unsure how to assist me, therefore I sent an email to OPM ([email protected]) and they submitted a help ticket into their system and a few weeks later I received back pay for several pay periods and a revised SF-50 was uploaded into my eOPF file.

https://www.opm.gov/blogs/Retire/201...oyee-FERS-RAE/

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-servi...014/14-107.pdf

Highest grade I held was a GS-9 prior to coming on board with the BOP in custody. I'm currently a 6-10 and was told I'd be a 7-9 coming up, I was just curious as to why the extra step only applies to the lower end of the pay scale without anything in writing. Probably a decades old policy that has continued in the BOP. I can only suppose it's a little more incentive along with a retention bonus (if you're eligible) for officers just starting with the govt. I'm not complaining at all, but it would be nice if us crusty folks could rake up the extra cash for the TSP

it probably is a decades old practice. Had a friend that was a tecnician with the Army Guard transfer and they started him out as a 6 10. I know anything above GS 10 they usually start you at a GS whatever and step 00 and one doesn't loose money but GS 11 and management they will loose money. OPM is quirky.

As far as your percentage you can have the same 3 scenarios as yours and BOP and OPM hands down 3 different answers. AFTER the employee does an uphill fight.

Glad I'm less than 3 to the door.

Comment

The OPM website contains all relevant information. As Shooter and I pointed out, the two step rule is applied went promoting up a grade,With downgrades from what I've seen is, if your salary at the higher grade exceeds the range of steps at the lower grad, HRS will adjust pay at what called the 00 step.

Comment

it probably is a decades old practice. Had a friend that was a tecnician with the Army Guard transfer and they started him out as a 6 10. I know anything above GS 10 they usually start you at a GS whatever and step 00 and one doesn't loose money but GS 11 and management they will loose money. OPM is quirky.

As far as your percentage you can have the same 3 scenarios as yours and BOP and OPM hands down 3 different answers. AFTER the employee does an uphill fight.

Glad I'm less than 3 to the door.
                              Shooter some of the new guys are contributing a higher percentage to their retirement. Those of us who were government employees prior to the change, our percentage(share) is still the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by dod299 View Post

Shooter some of the new guys are contributing a higher percentage to their retirement. Those of us who were government employees prior to the change, our percentage(share) is still the same.
                                I believe I mentioned that, the only unknown was someone employed by another agency non 6C crossing into BOP if they were grandfathered.which was touched on earlier. Someone believes they are grandfathered at the prior lower rate

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7260 users online. 317 members and 6943 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X