Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by rocknroll View Post
    Hey guys, I applied for the NYC and Brooklyn BOP facilities. How long does it take them to hire? and also does this qualify as federal law enforcement experience? Like when you are applying for another federal LE job and you get priority? Thanks
    That is a good question and there really is no telling. My suggestion is to try and find a phone number for HR at one of the facilities and ask them if they are pulling a hiring list soon.

    Yes we are considered federal law enforcement officers (extremely low level ones ) however don't think that if you apply for another federal job you get any sort of priority. You still have to compete just like everyone else. The only people who get priority are vets. Being a federal employee, you will be able to apply to status announcements. Those are job announcements open only to current federal employees.

    Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
    speedy in nycdoc 5 years in serive you make 73,500 in bop with that same amount of years on the job u will be making about 55,000. very big diference. bop u have to pay for medial nycdoc u dont with 20 years of service u will be makeing about 90,000 to 100,000 in bop less then 65,000. imagine retirement with 50% of 65,000. chump change cost of living is getting higher every year i also heard that bop doesn't have that much overtime as doc and they dont have a union fighting for benefits like ny unions bop will probably be a good places to start with you mind in something better getting a better federal job........
    Now with the BOP, depending on the facility, there can be a ton of overtime, or there can be very little. I have heard that the MDC's (Brooklyn) have tons of overtime available. I work at an FCI and am very low in seniority, and I could easily get at least one shift (8 hours) a week if I wanted it. Some of the guys with more seniority work 70-80 hours every week.

    We also are represented by a union, AFGE (American Federation of Government Employees) and at least where I work, the union fights strongly for us and is quite powerful. Our pay is no where near as high as NYS, but it is higher than what the overwhelming majority of states pay their officers. Just as an example, I was a state CO here in Kansas and my base pay was $26,990/year.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


    BOP - BPA - ICE

    Comment


  • #17
    Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
    speedy in nycdoc 5 years in serive you make 73,500 in bop with that same amount of years on the job u will be making about 55,000. very big diference. bop u have to pay for medial nycdoc u dont with 20 years of service u will be makeing about 90,000 to 100,000 in bop less then 65,000. imagine retirement with 50% of 65,000. chump change cost of living is getting higher every year i also heard that bop doesn't have that much overtime as doc and they dont have a union fighting for benefits like ny unions bop will probably be a good places to start with you mind in something better getting a better federal job........
    Yes with NY City DOC that would be correct but with the NY state DOC the pay is different and the retirement. I was doing the comparing BOP with the state

    Comment


    • #18
      Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
      That is incorrect. We are given a step and grade increase at the same time. I don't know why the BOP does it that way, and I notice that other agencies don't do it like that. It might have to do with our journeyman grade being only GL-7, or it may be something that the union helped negotiate.
      This is the first I've ever heard of something like that. I know years ago, BOP had "accelerated promotions" from GS-6 to GS-7 (6 months waiting time rather one year), but that has long ended.

      Unions, even one as powerful as AFGE Council of Prison Locals, can negotiate a lot of issues, but pay rates and increases are not one of them. Is your source for this information reliable?

      Comment


      • #19
        Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
        speedy in nycdoc 5 years in serive you make 73,500 in bop with that same amount of years on the job u will be making about 55,000. very big diference. bop u have to pay for medial nycdoc u dont with 20 years of service u will be makeing about 90,000 to 100,000 in bop less then 65,000. imagine retirement with 50% of 65,000. chump change cost of living is getting higher every year i also heard that bop doesn't have that much overtime as doc and they dont have a union fighting for benefits like ny unions bop will probably be a good places to start with you mind in something better getting a better federal job........
        1. With NYC DOC, you're stuck in NYC (i.e., Rikers). At least with the BOP, you can move to other areas around the US. If you're on the ball and willing to move, you can promoted quickly within the BOP. I've seen it. I work with wardens and asociate wardens who started as officers or even secretaries.

        2. To have a $65k pension with DOC, you would have had to make $130k the last year. I don't know of many DOC CO's making anywhere near that much.

        3. Federal employees have a 401k type reirement too (in addition to the pension) and the gov't provides some matching contributions.

        4. Federal retirees get COLAs almost every year. DOC retirees do not.

        5. BOP employees, especially in the facilities at MDC Brooklyn and MCC New York can get TONS of OT.

        I'm not saying that one agency is better than the other, but they each have their good and bad.

        Comment


        • #20
          for everybody that applied to BOP tommarow the list that are in the headquarters will be iliminated. So after tommarow applicants have to keep on checking to see other openings lets keep this link alive to hear from others that are going threw the process,Good luck to all...........

          Comment


          • #21
            I'm not trying to sound rude, but I didn't quite understand what you were saying in that last post. The list will be eliminated? I submitted my application less than a week ago, are you saying that I need to re-apply? I still have not heard anything besides the confirmation email that my application had been submitted. If you wouldn't mind clarifying what you were saying it would be much appreciated.

            Comment


            • #22
              Dear Applicant:

              The purpose of this notice is to inform you the current nationwide announcement for the position of Correctional Officer, GL-0007-05/06 will close on Friday, October 22, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

              The Consolidated Staffing Unit will post individual vacancy announcements for the position of Correctional Officer, GL-0007 at the GL-05 or 06 as requested by each location. If you wish to be considered for any of these individual announcements, you must apply directly to that vacancy announcement and follow all the application instructions. We strongly encourage you to establish a search agent in your USAJOBS account, if you wish to receive future vacancy announcements for the position of Correctional Officer.

              If you have any questions, please contact the Consolidated Staffing Unit/BOP-HIRES at 972-352-4200 or via email at www.GRA-HRM/[email protected].

              Thank you for interest in employment with the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
              Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
              Me: you really want an answer to that
              Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

              Comment


              • #23
                Yes for now beginning on the 22nd they will be eliminating the "national" announcement and each facility will put their openings on USAJobs and you will have to apply directly to it. I'm not sure how that will affect those who already applied but I'd call ASAP to find out. That email went out last week to the account you have on your USAJobs resume so if you didn't get it you should update your resume and USAJobs profile.
                Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                Me: you really want an answer to that
                Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

                Comment


                • #24
                  Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
                  Yes for now beginning on the 22nd they will be eliminating the "national" announcement and each facility will put their openings on USAJobs and you will have to apply directly to it. I'm not sure how that will affect those who already applied but I'd call ASAP to find out. That email went out last week to the account you have on your USAJobs resume so if you didn't get it you should update your resume and USAJobs profile.
                  Wow, that is certainly different, but it should help potential applicants. I can't tell you how many private messages I have received with questions on how to figure out when or if a specific facility is hiring. With the nationwide open continuous announcement, there was no way of telling.
                  What is Perseverance?
                  -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                  -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                  -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


                  BOP - BPA - ICE

                  Comment


                  • #25
                    I called both prisons in newyork and also the headcourters the list will be eliminated tonight that it what i was told in all three places(all applicants will be erased for the system). After tonight applicants have to keep looking for new jobs opening in the prison that interest you.In manhatten only 4 will be called instrucions of the warden and in brooklyn they pulled a list of 20. If theres any dought call the offices and they will let you know. Good luck to those who get called....

                    Originally posted by nyguy87 View Post
                    I'm not trying to sound rude, but I didn't quite understand what you were saying in that last post. The list will be eliminated? I submitted my application less than a week ago, are you saying that I need to re-apply? I still have not heard anything besides the confirmation email that my application had been submitted. If you wouldn't mind clarifying what you were saying it would be much appreciated.

                    Comment


                    • #26
                      Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                      Wow, that is certainly different, but it should help potential applicants. I can't tell you how many private messages I have received with questions on how to figure out when or if a specific facility is hiring. With the nationwide open continuous announcement, there was no way of telling.
                      It will make things a lot easier won't it.
                      Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                      Me: you really want an answer to that
                      Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

                      Comment


                      • #27
                        Man that stinks that the Job Vacancy for the Correctional Officer has now closed. Hopefully they update something for FCC Victorville to see if they are still 'in need'.

                        However the BIA is hiring for correctional officers to those who may be interested:

                        http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search....ub=Y&pg=1&re=0

                        Too bad they don't have anything for California, otherwise I'd hop on it.

                        Comment


                        • #28
                          Well it looks like the BOP just announced some openings via Usajobs.com. One location is USP Atwater and FMC Rochester.

                          Hurry though as the open period ends very soon!

                          http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...0+09%3a21%3a00

                          http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...5+00%3a03%3a00

                          Comment


                          • #29
                            One was open for Coleman too, but it closed a few days back.
                            What is Perseverance?
                            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


                            BOP - BPA - ICE

                            Comment


                            • #30
                              So, they have automatic pay raises in BOP every year? Here in CDOC we don't have any raises unless you promote thus BOP looks better

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3834 users online. 259 members and 3575 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X