300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
    Does an 8 promotion have to come from within your institution or can you "chase" it?
    99.9% it is from within. About the only chance to get an 8 from outside is an activating (or recently activated institution that has issues filling)

Look at the announcement and most say local commuting area only with an excptio. For displaced employees.

The problem is 8's are highly sought after and compitition is fierce and for a Warden to bring in an outsider as an 8, that will cause a bunch of animositybis not a mutiny.

So it just doesn't happen,

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
      99.9% it is from within. About the only chance to get an 8 from outside is an activating (or recently activated institution that has issues filling)

Look at the announcement and most say local commuting area only with an excptio. For displaced employees.

The problem is 8's are highly sought after and compitition is fierce and for a Warden to bring in an outsider as an 8, that will cause a bunch of animositybis not a mutiny.

So it just doesn't happen,
      IN625 Nailed it. No wardenis likely to promote to GL8 from without. That would be an ultimate dis. to current staff. Many Local staff work hard and do extra for that 8. It is the single hardest grade to get.

Comment

• I'm new here and have a question...

I applied for the nationwide posting and picked Otisville and Danbury as my preferred locations. After doing some research, it seems those places don't hire much. I read that FCI Berlin hires a lot because it's remotely located and is a newer facility. Is this still true? I switched them as my first choice. Was this a good move? Does anyone know about them?

Thank for the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by onwardsalways View Post
          I'm new here and have a question...

I applied for the nationwide posting and picked Otisville and Danbury as my preferred locations. After doing some research, it seems those places don't hire much. I read that FCI Berlin hires a lot because it's remotely located and is a newer facility. Is this still true? I switched them as my first choice. Was this a good move? Does anyone know about them?

Thank for the help.
          If you look at the job announcement on USA Jobs, the institutions with recruitment incentives are usually the ones that hire the most. Berlin does hire often due to its isolation. Pollock and Yazoo also seem to hire often.
          Last edited by LubbockBound; 06-02-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Anyone knows what a 12 minute oral interview for corrections means ? At the end all the doctor said was email your investigator if you have any questions

Comment

• Originally posted by LIFinest1213 View Post
              Anyone knows what a 12 minute oral interview for corrections means ? At the end all the doctor said was email your investigator if you have any questions
              Sure you're in the correct forum?

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                Interfector, I mean this respectfully but you probably should slow down. You are not going to blow through the ranks/grades of BOP. Your issue is you might have been a GS 9 but unless it wasin the 007 (Correctional Officer) series you will only be eligible to apply because of your TIG but you will not be Best Qualified (BQ) which you have to be to make the desk to have a chance. And further more no warden will even consider promotng yoy into an 8 SOS or SIS TECH or 9 LT without you taking your lumps.

For a 9 counslor you HAVE to be a GL 8 in the 007 series with very few exceptions.

As far as time constraints it use to be 90 days in you could apply but I believe it is a year because you generally have tio be off any probationary status and even though you are vested you are still on probation and subject to clearing the public trust background investigation (unless you currently have a Public Trust clearance and secret clearences don't count)

As far as looking bad it doesnt, people put in for jobs if for nothing else to get the experience of applying. There is an art to getting your paperwork right to BQ and sometimes it takes a few times. People move up and down in BOP all the time. People step down from LT to GL 8's or 9 councilors you name it all the time for family issues, you name it, they might have a ding but they can reapply for a LT and get it back. I have seen about everything in 16 years.

As far as steps back, its all about your comfort level and what do you want in 20 years, is advancement in pay with step increases etc and the LE retirement worth it? Is the changing shifts and jobs every month for your first year on the rookie roster, working every holiday, getting mandatoried, not having the seniority so you work the weekends, you cant get the job or shift you want because of seniorty and every other bad thing BOP staff (especially at USP's) face worth it? Only you can answer that!

You get your foot in the door you would have no problem getting a case manager job which would be a 5,7.9. 11 job automatically so maybe but be patient it wont happen overnight and again I mean this respectfully but no one in BOP gives 2 hoots about you having a Masters, or prior military or federal civlian service, the only thing they care is will you be there when the staff member is dealing with a fight or will you be one of the going the other way types" again just what they will look for before they accept you. At the USP level anyway.

Good luck

***I would like to thank you for your time to respond to my post in625shooter, I did not take what your wrote disrespectfully at all! I sincerely appreciate your no sugar coating response because, I really did not know the answer to my question even though I have searched high and low on the forums. Also, the only reason I stated a brief snapshot of my background was to see if I would even be competitive in the BOP arena and able to promote; I meant no disrespect!

16 years...Stay safe!!!

It really depends on the institution. The majority of places have the Days 8-4 Evenings 4-midnight and Mornings Midnight -8 however a couple go 6-2. 2-10 and 10-6. Others have the 8-4, 4-12 and 12-8 with am 6-2 and pm 2-10 to suppliment and overlap like your SHU posts and such. also the 32 officers in housing units at USP's were 2-10 but at ours are getting ready to go all 3 shifts and changing to 8-4, 4-12 and 12-8.

There are even a couple places that have a couple 4 10 hour shofts but those are only a couple I know of and you better have seniority for those posts.

So again it really can depend on the institution but MOST are on the same page, some are not

Comment

• Originally posted by LubbockBound View Post
                  If you look at the job announcement on USA Jobs, the institutions with recruitment incentives are usually the ones that hire the most. Berlin does hire often due to its isolation. Pollock and Yazoo also seem to hire often.
                  Is it safe to assume that the facilities with recruitment incentives actually hire more than the other facilities? Or do they hire at the same rate, just with a higher base pay?

Comment

Is it safe to assume that the facilities with recruitment incentives actually hire more than the other facilities? Or do they hire at the same rate, just with a higher base pay?
                    Regarding the first question, I do think it's safe to assume that. Atwater is sending out OF-5's as we speak. These institutions are more difficult to staff for a variety of reasons including turnover, so they hire more often. Customs offers similar incentives for border crossings that are in the middle of nowhere.
                    Last edited by LubbockBound; 06-02-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Pollock is my former joint, and they do hire alot. most of my IF class have moved on to other joints. It's not a bad joint per say, lots of action if that's your thing. competition is fierce for non- custody jobs and SOS (GS-8) spots. I'm at a Homestead joint now, much more relaxed than pollock. There are aspects of working in a USP I miss... Even tho I'm in a FCI now I have kept my pen mindset. The IM'S can't stand it however they don't try me like that because they know I don't have time for their BS games.

Comment

Regarding the first question, I do think it's safe to assume that. Atwater is sending out OF-5's as we speak. These institutions are more difficult to staff for a variety of reasons including turnover, so they hire more often. Customs offers similar incentives for border crossings that are in the middle of nowhere.
                        How do you know about the OF-5's? Through email?

I'm thinking about keeping my preferred location the same, and then just switching it if they send out emails about other locations. I'm willing to relocate. It just seems like a guessing game.
                        Last edited by onwardsalways; 06-03-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I'm thinking about keeping my preferred location the same, and then just switching it if they send out emails about other locations. I'm willing to relocate. It just seems like a guessing game.
                          Via your E-mail
                          Dear XXXXX

You need to fill in the inquiry of availability (OF-5 form) for certificate WA-DJ-77-14-1955-S0.

To fill in the OF-5 form, please go to http://www.usajobs.com and follow the instructions below.

1. Login USAJOBS
                          2. Select "I agree. Sign me in".
                          3. Select "Application Status".
                          4. Select the "More Information" link for this vacancy in the Application Status column.
                          5. Select the "View OF-5 Form Status" from the left navigation bar.
                          6. Select the "Not Returned" button for this certificate in the OF-5 Status column.
                          7. Complete the Applicant Response section of the OF-5 form and select the "Submit" button.

Sincerely,

Consolidated Staffing Unit
                          Federal Bureau of Prisons

also be on the lookout for this type of email as well.

Please be advised, this is notice that FCC Pollock is actively hiring for Correctional Officers. If you are interested in working at FCC Pollock, Pollock, Louisiana, please edit your application and place Pollock as your first choice of institutions that you would like to work at.

If you have any questions, or need additional information, please contact
                          Last edited by dod299; 06-03-2016, 12:53 PM.

Comment

It took a month for me to receive an OF-5 after receiving the above email. The whole process took 4 months.

Comment

• Are there any big differences between the FCCs/USPs, or are they all mostly the same?

Comment

• Hey guys I just received an email stating I was referred and to completed the OF-5. But when I went to completed it it only ask me when can I start work. I put 20 days and then I submit it. That was it?

Thanks
                                EXAM # 1320
                                LIST # 15**
                                EXAM DATE JUNE 25, 2011

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11148 users online. 434 members and 10714 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X