Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
    That's a very bold statement.

    Those of us that have been around a little bit don't need to talk to you rookies because you guys already know everything. We are just sitting back in awe learning all we can watching you guys.
    This is exactly part of the problem, You ready to jump my **** because of a misunderstood comment. .. I don't know everything, I'm still learning myself daily. however, being that I worked in a Complex/USP before transferring to a standalone Medium. I was able to aquire a wealth of knowledge very quickly and I'm greatfull for the Sr, staff who've showed me the ropes and helped me along my rookie year. all I was saying, is I'm now working with guys who've never done forced cell moves, seen a fight, let alone a stabbing and it would be the Bureau ' advantage to send folks to USP'S 1st for atleast a year, much like CBP sends folks to the southern border 1st to sharpen and hone their skill sets.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by dox1842 View Post
      Here is some more advice.... As a rookie keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Stay humble. No one cares how you did it at the state or county, the BOP has its own way of running things. I NEVER mouth of to an old hack and take in everything they are trying to tell me. The only "old staff vs new staff" issues come from those that have 5-10 years in and act like they never made a mistake before.
      And No, two BOP joints do things the same either. You will learn who you can ask questions and get advice from and who to avoid like the plague. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dod299 View Post
        This is exactly part of the problem, You ready to jump my **** because of a misunderstood comment. .. I don't know everything, I'm still learning myself daily. however, being that I worked in a Complex/USP before transferring to a standalone Medium. I was able to aquire a wealth of knowledge very quickly and I'm greatfull for the Sr, staff who've showed me the ropes and helped me along my rookie year. all I was saying, is I'm now working with guys who've never done forced cell moves, seen a fight, let alone a stabbing and it would be the Bureau ' advantage to send folks to USP'S 1st for atleast a year, much like CBP sends folks to the southern border 1st to sharpen and hone their skill sets.
        WARNING rant coming.....

        To piggyback on DOD299. Over 16 years ago I hired into an old school USP that became a Complex about 11 Years ago. I have seen many folks from line staff to Wardens transfer in that came from stand alone medium and low FCI's. I have also traveled to many of those same FCI's. And will yell anyone this.

        Its not that bad stuff can't or don't happen at an FCI its that bad stuff really doesn't happen much at all at FCI's. FCIs have a random bad incident the inmate gets shipped to an USP. A bad ncident happens at a USP the inmate goes to SHU but usually stays for several times unless he is shipped to another USP and that USP gets one from usually another USP etc,etc.

        You have staff believe it or not at FCI's that have never seen a good fist fight let alone a stabbing. Those things happen usually a couple times a day (fights) to a couple times a week (good stabbings) at USPs. Homicides all happen at USPs 50 to 1 compared to an FCI.
        On all those incidents they are reportable incidents and do what is called a 583 packet on. On any given year a Low FCI's do maybe 6-10 per year (those include a CPR) Mediums do 10-20 per year (some include CPR) USP's do 250-400 per year depending on the USP (and don't do one on CPR). In fact when I was SHU LT I did more packets in 3-5 days than most FCI's do in a year and then I have to listen to a war story new transfer that did one over a hemlic manuver at the FCI he was at. They never had to send a staff member to the hospital, or home to change their blood stained clothing.

        My point is there are staff at USP's that see more in 6-12 months than some staff see in a career at FCI's. In fact if some had started at a USP they wouldn't have made it and would have quit.

        Staff are sort of the same everywhere in you have those that seem to get out of things (Lucky) but most staff that have spent anytime at a USP (and some FMC's they hold high security inmates too as well as mental health cases) do see a lot more a lot faster than anywhere else.

        Sorry for the rant,
        Last edited by in625shooter; 05-05-2016, 02:30 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dod299 View Post
          This is exactly part of the problem, You ready to jump my **** because of a misunderstood comment. .. I don't know everything, I'm still learning myself daily. however, being that I worked in a Complex/USP before transferring to a standalone Medium. I was able to aquire a wealth of knowledge very quickly and I'm greatfull for the Sr, staff who've showed me the ropes and helped me along my rookie year. all I was saying, is I'm now working with guys who've never done forced cell moves, seen a fight, let alone a stabbing and it would be the Bureau ' advantage to send folks to USP'S 1st for atleast a year, much like CBP sends folks to the southern border 1st to sharpen and hone their skill sets.
          I misunderstand your post and thought you transferred to Coleman from an FCI. That said keep all the tools you gathered here and learn to deal with the crooks the "fci way." I'm sure you've noticed the difference as they cry about everything.

          Most FCI's rarely see anything more than a one on one and in that aspect you are ahead of the game. However all those things we considered petty in the pens is significant in the FCI's. You also have more nuisance and entitlement issues. Contraband is more of an issue and managing staff becomes more difficult the lower you go in security.

          I worked the low and med here and never felt "comfortable." My senses raise higher than they should and I become too edgey. I'm leaving for a complex with no pen soon and I have to be rewired because I've never learned to deal with inmates or staff at an fci.
          Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
          Me: you really want an answer to that
          Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

          Comment


          • Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
            I misunderstand your post and thought you transferred to Coleman from an FCI. That said keep all the tools you gathered here and learn to deal with the crooks the "fci way." I'm sure you've noticed the difference as they cry about everything.

            Most FCI's rarely see anything more than a one on one and in that aspect you are ahead of the game. However all those things we considered petty in the pens is significant in the FCI's. You also have more nuisance and entitlement issues. Contraband is more of an issue and managing staff becomes more difficult the lower you go in security.

            I worked the low and med here and never felt "comfortable." My senses raise higher than they should and I become too edgey. I'm leaving for a complex with no pen soon and I have to be rewired because I've never learned to deal with inmates or staff at an fci.
            I appreciate the apologies, I started in FCC Pollock did all of a qtr in the medium the rest of the time I was in the USP. and yes, the crying is annoying at the med,. I'm grateful to have had that exp 1st, it's helped me alot, especially now that I'm at a standalone joint. There is an Old head at my new joint I call him OG anywho he's never worked in a Pen . However he has 20 plus in and is full of knowledge. I'm learning new stuff from him. I look at it this way, it's us vs them. we always need to stick together no mater what joint you work.

            Comment


            • Any one on here work at USP Canaan, Pa or FCI Otisville, Ny, Just looking for info on the basic stuff like Overtime ect. Feel free to hit me up offline.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by usmc3816 View Post
                Any one on here work at USP Canaan, Pa or FCI Otisville, Ny, Just looking for info on the basic stuff like Overtime ect. Feel free to hit me up offline.
                I have friends at Canaan. Great area and staff. And being a USP you will get some OT. Otisville you will see very little if not any OT.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                  I have friends at Canaan. Great area and staff. And being a USP you will get some OT. Otisville you will see very little if not any OT.
                  There is OT at Otisville if you want it. They are maxed out now with co's.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                    I have friends at Canaan. Great area and staff. And being a USP you will get some OT. Otisville you will see very little if not any OT.

                    Also hear Canaan is looking to hire a bunch more. Both prisons are the complete opposite of each other, lol.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by kawninja1200 View Post
                      Also hear Canaan is looking to hire a bunch more. Both prisons are the complete opposite of each other, lol.
                      Like mentioned RD ALL USP's have to add staff so nows the time if you want to get in. You always had more than average OT at USP's anyway but now it will really open up more. We are running 35-50 shifts of OT a day and its getting ready to go up.

                      Whike there will always be one or two exceptions, Other folks at many many FCI's have zero OT and some might get one shift a week if they are lucky.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                        We are running 35-50 shifts of OT a day and its getting ready to go up.
                        [emoji15] dang!

                        Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                        Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                        Me: you really want an answer to that
                        Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

                        Comment


                        • So my understanding is that if you're already in the federal government BOP will bring you up to your current salary or close to with steps?

                          Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Usmc1586 View Post
                            So my understanding is that if you're already in the federal government BOP will bring you up to your current salary or close to with steps?

                            Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
                            Yes most of the time, and answered on the other thread

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Bman4130 View Post
                              ^thank you for the insight

                              I was a little more involved in this thread in the past. I just re did my application and updated a bunch of information. I know some people that know people who work at Oxford, WI and I was told to not put that as my first choice. I now have Chicago MCC as choice one. I used to be a little more flexible with location including Pekin and Terre Haute but have since moved north and that is a little out of range. Any insight on Chicago's hiring needs and if/when they pull lists?
                              Why were you told not to make oxford your first choice? IS there a lot of things wrong with working there? I ask because I got a conditional offer for Oxford and think I will get the final offer tomorrow.
                              Knowledge is best used to apply action, not to disrupt or corrupt action.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by packer083 View Post
                                Why were you told not to make oxford your first choice? IS there a lot of things wrong with working there? I ask because I got a conditional offer for Oxford and think I will get the final offer tomorrow.


                                because Oxford doesnt hire a lot. if you got a conditional offer congrats!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4062 users online. 193 members and 3869 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X