Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by dod299 View Post
    Especially if you are in the group who has it 1st in the AM.......
    We have range day 1st all week this week and next


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
      We have range day 1st all week this week and next


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I took my PTD uniform with me to DT after lunch...if you do the same you'll see why.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dod299 View Post
        I took my PTD uniform with me to DT after lunch...if you do the same you'll see why.
        My dorm is 277 right next to the g bar, gym and building 263 where all our classes are held so going back to my room to change or grab uniforms has not been difficult.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • Does anyone here have some advice on this:

          I applied to the CO position after reviewing requirements (which I meet). My first choice pulled my name but I got an email saying that the necessary requirements were not reflected in my resume, therefor my app status says 'referred' but that's as far as it went, not even to HR at the facility. Now, having had the opportunity to speak to HR at the facility and reworking my resume, HR says they don't see why I wouldn't be qualified. Note that I did get 'best qualified' when I applied. Now what do I have to do to get them to pull my name again, or is it a one-time deal. Since I was already declined, do I have to wait to reapply next year, or will they pull my resume again since I tweaked it? If anyone has any insight on this, I'd surely appreciate it.

          Comment


          • Re do your resume and re apply and wait for them to pull your name again.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RopeS View Post
              Does anyone here have some advice on this:

              I applied to the CO position after reviewing requirements (which I meet). My first choice pulled my name but I got an email saying that the necessary requirements were not reflected in my resume, therefor my app status says 'referred' but that's as far as it went, not even to HR at the facility. Now, having had the opportunity to speak to HR at the facility and reworking my resume, HR says they don't see why I wouldn't be qualified. Note that I did get 'best qualified' when I applied. Now what do I have to do to get them to pull my name again, or is it a one-time deal. Since I was already declined, do I have to wait to reapply next year, or will they pull my resume again since I tweaked it? If anyone has any insight on this, I'd surely appreciate it.
              You have to be rated as Best Qualified ie BQ. To get referred. Anything else (qualified, eligible etc) won't do it however there is one more thing.

              Just because you are BQ'd and referred DOS NOT 100% garuntee and interview. If they are hiring for 3 spots but there are 20 peole on the list there are 11 folks on the list that will not get called that time around.

              Whe you se you are BQ'd just make contact with te HR office (about once every 3-4 weeks but no more than that). Sometimes they are just picking random names from the list however (comma) be forwarned if you become to much a pest they can omit you ie not call you either.

              Good luck

              Comment


              • Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
                Re do your resume and re apply and wait for them to pull your name again.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Thanks guys. I just didn't know if I could reapply on the same announcement or if I had to somehow cancel the first time out or what.

                Comment


                • Government Shutdown

                  What's the protocol during a government shut? I'm assuming as BOP Correctional officers we still have to report to work but my next question is do the federal correctional officers still get paid during a government shutdown.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jamy View Post
                    What's the protocol during a government shut? I'm assuming as BOP Correctional officers we still have to report to work but my next question is do the federal correctional officers still get paid during a government shutdown.
                    You get paid eventually. We are no different than anyone else.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jamy View Post
                      What's the protocol during a government shut? I'm assuming as BOP Correctional officers we still have to report to work but my next question is do the federal correctional officers still get paid during a government shutdown.
                      You'll get paid when funding goes through, and you'll get it all retroactively.
                      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                        You'll get paid when funding goes through, and you'll get it all retroactively.

                        ^^THIS^^


                        Originally posted by jamy View Post
                        What's the protocol during a government shut? I'm assuming as BOP Correctional officers we still have to report to work but my next question is do the federal correctional officers still get paid during a government shutdown.
                        There was zero pay for a pay period back in 1996 ish under Clintion. Since then all GOV employees have been threatened to not recieve any pay, while they are furloghed, or partial pay and about 3 other varations. Nothing ever came to light but some folks were sweating a bit.

                        As far as BOP they never furloughed anyone and being that you fall under 6C retirement you still had to come to work, if they didn't pay you then they would retroactivley like Goldbadge stated.

                        It was all just a bunch of fear mongering and both political sides were guilty of it.
                        They do have furlough rosters for the just in case moments and working 72 hours a pay has been one recent "rumer" if it goes south again.

                        Comment


                        • Hi,

                          I am going to be starting with BOP as a CO on the 7th of next month. I don't know if my questions have already been answered or addressed if it has I'm sorry I am new to this forum and their is a lot of pages on this post. Here is my questions:

                          1. I know the first two weeks is facility familiarization and was wondering what this usually consists of and after these two weeks what happens then do you start working or what? And if you do start working are you alone during this time?

                          2. What is the current appearance policy for BOP like facial hair and so on. I would like to be in appliance when I first start.

                          3. I know the Academy consists of firearms training self-defense and I believe BOP policies. But what else does the academy consist of and how long did it take to get sent there?

                          4. Is there a investigation division within BOP or does a different federal agency do that? Also if there is a investigation division what is the name of it and how do you get into that division?

                          5. What do inmates try on new recruits and what are some tips for someone starting out as a CEO has never done it?


                          I know it's a lot of questions I just want to be prepared for when I start and would like to know a few things about what goes on at BOP. Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Zerstorer View Post
                            Hi,

                            I am going to be starting with BOP as a CO on the 7th of next month. I don't know if my questions have already been answered or addressed if it has I'm sorry I am new to this forum and their is a lot of pages on this post. Here is my questions:

                            1. I know the first two weeks is facility familiarization and was wondering what this usually consists of and after these two weeks what happens then do you start working or what? And if you do start working are you alone during this time?

                            2. What is the current appearance policy for BOP like facial hair and so on. I would like to be in appliance when I first start.

                            3. I know the Academy consists of firearms training self-defense and I believe BOP policies. But what else does the academy consist of and how long did it take to get sent there?

                            4. Is there a investigation division within BOP or does a different federal agency do that? Also if there is a investigation division what is the name of it and how do you get into that division?

                            5. What do inmates try on new recruits and what are some tips for someone starting out as a CEO has never done it?


                            I know it's a lot of questions I just want to be prepared for when I start and would like to know a few things about what goes on at BOP. Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            1 They will go over mundane things like the mission, different security levels SOP's yada yada yada, your first day you will be overwelmed with paperwork and have a buch of health insurance info to take home and decide on. As far as working Each institution is a little different but we usually put you on OJT shadowing some folks for a week then afte that you are usually thrown somewhere simple that you won't poke an eye out on.

                            2. There isn't one, most come from the state clean shaven little boy hair cut etc then grow a goatee or beard like 70% of the rest of BOP staff, as far as hair no regs, just neat, you might get some crap blown at you by other staff but don't matter. I had smine past my shoulders after I retired from the Guard for a while.

                            The biggest thing with bards etc is you have to shave to be fit tested for SCBA training IF you want to do it.

                            3. It is just a Intro to Corrections course and not an Academy, it is 3 weeks and firearms and a sanitized curiculum of FPC Cupcake is it. Your IF and just learning how your institution does things will teach you more than Glynco, however just nod your head, agree and when you get back do it how Your institution does it. They teach a generic way because there is a HUGE difference between a USP and a low FCI, so just think of the old KISS phrase.

                            4. BOP has a Special Investigation Services (SIS) section. It is comprised of a few GS 8 SIS Techs, a couple of SIS LT's and an Special invetigative Agent (SIA). They all do inmate cases however on a staff case (as in staff misconduct, not following proceedures petty things) only the SIS LT of SIA can handle that and they also have BOP Office of Internal Affiars (OIA) come in (which is geographically seperated from the institutions), IF they sustain a case against someone it can lead from a letter to a termination, depends on a lot of factors. If the case is criminal then DOJ Office of Inspector General (OIG), If OIG has a case it is usually bad, if they do not it is generally kicked back down to OIA,

                            To get into SIS as a tech you have to have your GL 7 for 52 weeks to be eligible, however it helps to have collateral duties as Evedince Recorver Team (ERT) and things of that nature help. Lots of competituon for thos jobs.

                            5, Inmates are inmates, some will wait and watch, others will try little nit noid stuff to get a small thing past you, don't worry about it, everyone gets beat every day by some hustle, 120 inmates i a uniyt and you are running doors, answering radios, phones etc you can't be everywhere. The thing to worry about is the several small things that equell up to a big thing they usually try and bambozzle new staff on.

                            That was a generic one but if an inmates mouth is moving they are generally lying.

                            Good luck

                            Comment


                            • Welcome to the Bureau Zerstorer! I'll try with a few of those.

                              1: After the two weeks of IF, you will likely get one or two work days with another Officer. Then basically, you are on your own. Hint: You are expected to have questions. Call other units not the LT.. They have other things on their plate, don't let the LTs perceive you as lacking conficdence or being needy. Every place is a little different.
                              2: Don't be an appliance! We'll break you and trade you in for a new one! As for compliance, the hair/beard standards are quite lax. Remember, you are making an impression, a lasting one. Inmates really do seem to respect a well groomed, neat, professional Officer.
                              They may not like you, but they know you could be their life line someday. Officer presence/ape renew is important.
                              3: Lots of classes. The Interpersonal Communications and role playing are some of the most useful to a new guy.

                              4: SIS is the institutions version of a Detective Bureau. There are some 1811 SIS spots, they are rare. This is an area that can take awhile to get into. You have to demonstrate smarts, that you're trustworthy, and hopefully suited to the work. That might take a few years.
                              5: Inmates will try anything and every thing. Caution, your co workers, and time will teach a lot of this. Just never, ever trust an inmate.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                                Welcome to the Bureau Zerstorer! I'll try with a few of those.

                                1: After the two weeks of IF, you will likely get one or two work days with another Officer. Then basically, you are on your own. Hint: You are expected to have questions. Call other units not the LT.. They have other things on their plate, don't let the LTs perceive you as lacking conficdence or being needy. Every place is a little different.
                                2: Don't be an appliance! We'll break you and trade you in for a new one! As for compliance, the hair/beard standards are quite lax. Remember, you are making an impression, a lasting one. Inmates really do seem to respect a well groomed, neat, professional Officer.
                                They may not like you, but they know you could be their life line someday. Officer presence/ape renew is important.
                                3: Lots of classes. The Interpersonal Communications and role playing are some of the most useful to a new guy.

                                4: SIS is the institutions version of a Detective Bureau. There are some 1811 SIS spots, they are rare. This is an area that can take awhile to get into. You have to demonstrate smarts, that you're trustworthy, and hopefully suited to the work. That might take a few years.
                                5: Inmates will try anything and every thing. Caution, your co workers, and time will teach a lot of this. Just never, ever trust an inmate.
                                Inmates will try you over and over and over, be firm fair and consistent.....Never ever;ever ever trust an inmate....and remember when you think your cutting them slack your not they can careless what happens to you.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11765 users online. 251 members and 11514 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X