300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick2 View Post
    General question for you. While this Facility mentions the months they are aiming to hire, most emails of this kind do not. To that end, how long should you keep a facility as your #1 choice before giving up? I have placed two separate facilities (both actively hiring) as my #1 choice in the last 2 months and, despite a BQ rank, never heard back. Should I put Big Spring as my #1 or hope the other facility is still hiring?

PS: I tried to make that as simple as possible, but it still sounds convoluted.
    The problem is just because one is on the BQ list only means your name is referred and on the list they pull names from. IT DOES NOT GUARANTEE that you get an interview. And as has been suggested time and time again within these 1,800 plus here, if you are on the BQ list you might want to call the institions HR office and politley inquire but no more than once every 4-6 weeks. Often times they are picking folks at random for an interview so when you do that it can help if no one there knows you from Adam.

On a side note Big Spring ALWAYS has announcements for BOP reassingment elegibles that want to do a lateral transfer. No sure why, never hear anything bad from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
      The problem is just because one is on the BQ list only means your name is referred and on the list they pull names from. IT DOES NOT GUARANTEE that you get an interview. And as has been suggested time and time again within these 1,800 plus here, if you are on the BQ list you might want to call the institions HR office and politley inquire but no more than once every 4-6 weeks. Often times they are picking folks at random for an interview so when you do that it can help if no one there knows you from Adam.

On a side note Big Spring ALWAYS has announcements for BOP reassingment elegibles that want to do a lateral transfer. No sure why, never hear anything bad from it.
      I understand their hiring policy and don't begrudge it at all. I guess my main question was, when do you throw in the towel on one institution and move on to the next one? I will take your advice and count on 4-6 weeks. My gripe (whine) is about the vagueness of the length of the opening period and regarding how many officers they intend to hire. Big Spring, in my opinion, does a great job of telling you when they're hiring and how many.

Regarding your side note, do you mean that officers are frequently looking to laterally transfer out of Big Spring?
      Last edited by Nick2; 06-09-2015, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I understand their hiring policy and don't begrudge it at all. I guess my main question was, when do you throw in the towel on one institution and move on to the next one? I will take your advice and count on 4-6 weeks. My gripe (whine) is about the vagueness of the length of the opening period and regarding how many officers they intend to hire. Big Spring, in my opinion, does a great job of telling you when they're hiring and how many.

Regarding your side note, do you mean that officers are frequently looking to laterally transfer out of Big Spring?
        Without meaniong this in a smart way just the truth. IF you don't like vagueness you need to get use to it or go anywhere but the FED's especially BOP.

As far as throwing in the towel for that institution that depends on how bad you want that particular one. It is often timing it right to get on at certian facilities (like lows and stand alones) So if one of those are where you are wanting or often times the only one you can go because say you are not looking to leave a certian area then you could have a wait. I know folks that have waited a couple years to get on because they only wanted a certain institution. I also know folks that got on at a FCC that hiried all the time just to get in the door, did their year then did a lateral transfer to where they wanted. The thing about lateral transfers is once the Warden of an institution knows someone in BOP wants to lateral it is great news because he/she gets a staff member that can come in and immediatley start working just about anywhere and is a lot more versatile than a new hire. They won't have to train them up, send them away to Glynco etc etc and it costs the Warden nothing since on laterals you pay your own move etc.

I haven't noticed a lot of movement out of Big Spring as far as laterals, just promotions out. The laterals with Big Springs is for folks to transfer there and posted on USAjobs every couple months. Other institutions post laterals anywhere from 2-3 times a year (on average) or whenever their Warden is aware someone is interested (of course they have to get vouched out if one is a real S^&* bag then they often get declined) A couple BOP staffers there told me one issue is that even out though you have Midland and Odessa there, there is some competituion with the oil jobs there, then there is some issues finding housing because of the oil jobs etc

Comment

• So I've tried to contact my facility quite a few times and no one answers the phone in any department. I also sent an email that didn't receive a response. I'm guessing the only thing I can do is hope/pray for them to contact me?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
            So I've tried to contact my facility quite a few times and no one answers the phone in any department. I also sent an email that didn't receive a response. I'm guessing the only thing I can do is hope/pray for them to contact me?
            Call the institutions phone number on the website and ask to be transferred to personnel.

Comment

• Thanks. I spoke too soon. I just recieved an email stating that my application is currently under review by HR and everything is on the right track.

Comment

• Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
                Call the institutions phone number on the website and ask to be transferred to personnel.
                Call the number on the position announcement.
                Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                Me: you really want an answer to that
                Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

• Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
                  Call the number on the position announcement.
                  You will be lucky if you get anything calling that number. The number on the announcement is for the Consolidated Staffing Unit at Grand Prairie and about all the can tell you is what caused you to not get BQ'd etc if your lucky, Grand Prairie has NO CLUE where the institution is at as far as interviews, hiring etc. Most that call them get various results, sometimes an answer sometimes you are more confused after they talked to them.
                  Last edited by in625shooter; 06-10-2015, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• I couldn't tell you last year I received the same type of email from my joint within 4 weeks I received an OF-5 then a month later a call to schedule an Interview. So my process
                    E-Mail - March 2014
                    OF-5. - April. 2014
                    Interview June 2014
                    EOD. Aug. 2014
                    Originally posted by Nick2 View Post
                    General question for you. While this Facility mentions the months they are aiming to hire, most emails of this kind do not. To that end, how long should you keep a facility as your #1 choice before giving up? I have placed two separate facilities (both actively hiring) as my #1 choice in the last 2 months and, despite a BQ rank, never heard back. Should I put Big Spring as my #1 or hope the other facility is still hiring?

PS: I tried to make that as simple as possible, but it still sounds convoluted.

Comment

• Originally posted by dod299 View Post
                      I couldn't tell you last year I received the same type of email from my joint within 4 weeks I received an OF-5 then a month later a call to schedule an Interview. So my process
                      E-Mail - March 2014
                      OF-5. - April. 2014
                      Interview June 2014
                      EOD. Aug. 2014
                      Wow, that's extremely quick compared to some of these other agencies.

Comment

Contacting the institution is the best advice you'll receive. I finally got a hold of an HR rep at my facility choice and they told me they generally hire 4x a year (June, September, December, March). I'm going to ride it out till September and if I don't get anywhere - I'll change my preference elsewhere.

Comment

• I'm curious, what is the OF-5 form? And does it typically have to be filled out prior to the interview or after?

Comment

• OF-5 Inquiry of availability is prior to interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by dod299 View Post
                              OF-5 Inquiry of availability is prior to interview.
                              Weird, I wasn't asked to fill out an "OF-5" form. Guess I'll find out shortly.
                              Last edited by Trax_XLT; 06-11-2015, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• So some good news and maybe helpful information. Today I checked my email to find out I received an OF-5 request from my second location option (FCC Florence), which was surprising considering my first location was Coleman in Florida. The form also gives me the HR number and advises to call and schedule an interview before a specific date and before submitting the form, is that the normal procedure? Seems a little odd for me to call and make the appointment. Also, one last question. If I check the box saying that "I do not wish to be considered for the position shown above on this form" does the remove me from the entire BOP hiring process or just for Florence? If it was an OF-5 for Coleman I would not hesitate because I live in Florida so it would be a great move. I would really appreciate any information about FCC Florence. Thanks guys
                                BOP 10/04/2015

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7958 users online. 399 members and 7559 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X