Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
    I heard lol! But my weight is starting to affect my kneese. A 4 mile walk/jog a day and vegetable soup twice a day every day until the Academy and i should be good.
    For the Love of GOD, and the up-tenth time BOP does not have an academy, you attend the Introductions to Corrections Course at FLETC. All of the courses there are like a college, the exception is some agencies do more PT than others but nothing like the Border Patrol which switched their primary center to Charleston.


    Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
    So if the pt and defensive training arent all that great, should i invest in some mma and krav maga training?
    Your getting way ahead of yourself. BOP skims the surface on it. Even working at USP's is nothing like the movies. Yes bad stuff happens and i have seen some but bottom line if some one wants you they are going to get you and you WILL NOT KNOW IT WHEN IT COMES if they are are that set on it. Most of the inmate on Officer issues are a secondary reaction to them trying to get rid of some sort of contraband etc nit an outright attack. Just doesn't happen like the movies.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
      I applied for years for this position and got nowhere until recently. Got an email to fill out my OF-5 form and got a phone call an hour later. Interview on June 4th! Just focusing on getting in better shape for FLETC and sorting out any credit issues.
      Congratulations. Was there any particular reason why it took a while to start with the BOP? Were you focused on getting hired at one specific institution?

      Comment


      • Im not sure why it took so many apps lol! Im just grateful to get a shot. I was willing to be in chicago or new york so if i do pass, im going to transfer to brooklyn of manhatten in a year or 2.
        I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

        Comment


        • Weird scenario: When I go to USA Jobs and click "application status" - it says "referred" but when I click "more information" it says status: "application received"...I just added my new job on my resume tonight, but I can't see that making a difference...


          Also, how do I know which facility has referred me? Should I assume it's my first preference choice?
          Last edited by JohnnyUtah1989; 05-27-2015, 03:25 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
            Im not sure why it took so many apps lol! Im just grateful to get a shot. I was willing to be in chicago or new york so if i do pass, im going to transfer to brooklyn of manhatten in a year or 2.
            You can BQ and be Referred however, that does not 100% guarantee one to get an interview. YES you have to be on the BQ list but they only pull so many names (generally 3 names to interview for every 1 position) So if there are 20 on the BQ list but only 3 positions that means 9 will get called and 11 won't.

            Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
            Weird scenario: When I go to USA Jobs and click "application status" - it says "referred" but when I click "more information" it says status: "application received"...I just added my new job on my resume tonight, but I can't see that making a difference...


            Also, how do I know which facility has referred me? Should I assume it's my first preference choice?
            In a perfect world if you are referred when you click into the application status more it should state which one which being a new person should only be your irst choice. When you are a BOP employee and apply for multiple institutions for say a Lieutenant spot it will state which institution.

            The problem is Grand Prairie in TX runs the BOP staffing and they sometimes have some issues and the USAjobs site is different and might not be updated IE your app might be farther along than USAjobs shows it, sometimes not. Like they say "It's Grand Prairie"

            Good luck

            Comment


            • Does anybody have any tips on passing the interview? Also anybody who works or worked at MCC Chicago, what is the environment like?
              I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
                Does anybody have any tips on passing the interview? Also anybody who works or worked at MCC Chicago, what is the environment like?
                Chicago has a high turnover of staff. There are a few staff that stay their whole career there but a lot less than most traditional facilities. Most people either get on do their year and move on with BOP or they go to other agencies in the area which pay the same often more than BOP. As far as the joint it is a high rise and holds pre and post trial inmates of all security levels. You usually won't have them very long (compared to the years and years you see them at other institutions) before they are transferred to their designated institution after sentencing. However most often the Minimum, Low and a very few Medium inmates are released after sentence with a Report Not Later Than date at designated facility. You will see several inmates return though if they go out from say Terre Haute, Greenville or wherever back to Chicago on Writ to make court appearances.

                Also plan on riding public transportation. Parking there was at a premium and EXPENSIVE!

                Comment


                • Interesting. Im planning on riding the red
                  ine it stops right by my house so thank God for that! I figure i will either put in a few years then transfer to New york or try to get in with the DEA or Homeland Security
                  I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

                  Comment


                  • I leave on Monday for FLETC, been on the job for six months.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
                      Fletc is a joke for BoP. Everyone passes the pt. It's designed so an old nurse or admin person could pass it.
                      Someone in our sister class failed the run, I was like wow...just wow.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by dod299 View Post
                        Someone in our sister class failed the run, I was like wow...just wow.
                        Uh that's sad. I can power walk it in the required time.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jsphilly View Post
                          I leave on Monday for FLETC, been on the job for six months.
                          Enjoy, I graduated last month, hopefully your driving your POV. If you like BBQ there's a place called Southern Soul BBQ all I can say it was $25 well spent..

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
                            Uh that's sad. I can power walk it in the required time.
                            Yea I know, we had a 57 y/o Doc who passed, barley but he passed...

                            Remember for you guys trying to get on, a few things that will get you walked out,
                            1.Being dirty
                            2.being dirty
                            3.not counting
                            4. Being dirty lol
                            While it's OK to be human and talk to the inmates don't get to personal, I/M's are not your friends, also be careful about sharing personal info with fellow staff many I/M's find out personal info about you from fellow C/O's
                            Last edited by dod299; 05-29-2015, 01:27 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by dod299 View Post
                              Yea I know, we had a 57 y/o Doc who passed, barley but he passed...

                              Remember for you guys trying to get on, a few things that will get you walked out,
                              1.Being dirty
                              2.being dirty
                              3.not counting
                              4. Being dirty lol
                              While it's OK to be human and talk to the inmates don't get to personal, I/M's are not your friends, also be careful about sharing personal info with fellow staff many I/M's find out personal info about you from fellow C/O's
                              Lmao not at my joint. .

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                                Your getting way ahead of yourself. BOP skims the surface on it. Even working at USP's is nothing like the movies. Yes bad stuff happens and i have seen some but bottom line if some one wants you they are going to get you and you WILL NOT KNOW IT WHEN IT COMES if they are are that set on it. Most of the inmate on Officer issues are a secondary reaction to them trying to get rid of some sort of contraband etc nit an outright attack. Just doesn't happen like the movies.
                                This is so true. So many situations can be talked out of. Your best weapon is persuasion. You will be shocked at how orderly the prison is on a day to day basis. I have a friend that teaches middle school and I do not deal with half the **** hee does.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 17431 users online. 500 members and 16931 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X