Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any clue why Coleman is always hiring? The cost of living vs salary is very reasonable. After doing research, it seems like the salary vs real estate is probably the best ratio on the OPM locality pay scale. They make much more than Highway Patrol and Florida DOC. Other than it being one of the biggest facilities, I can't seem to figure it out. Any advice is appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
      Does anyone have any clue why Coleman is always hiring? The cost of living vs salary is very reasonable. After doing research, it seems like the salary vs real estate is probably the best ratio on the OPM locality pay scale. They make much more than Highway Patrol and Florida DOC. Other than it being one of the biggest facilities, I can't seem to figure it out. Any advice is appreciated.
      i believe it's either one/the largest fcc in the bop...also a lot of people are being forced to retire @ 57...also lack of suitable candidates credit/past charges..etc

Comment

• please disregard
        Last edited by Nick2; 05-06-2015, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have any clue why Coleman is always hiring? The cost of living vs salary is very reasonable. After doing research, it seems like the salary vs real estate is probably the best ratio on the OPM locality pay scale. They make much more than Highway Patrol and Florida DOC. Other than it being one of the biggest facilities, I can't seem to figure it out. Any advice is appreciated.
          Coleman has three facilities, the Penn, fcc, camp. So you may be put in any of those places. Penn is crazy. Maybe this is another reason that they always hiring

Comment

• Gotcha. Thanks. I read on another forum that the OPM salaries are not based off of COL, but based off of other salaries In the area, or something like that. What I find really bizarre is that the FDC in Hawaii is only offering a little more money than Coleman and the COL is wayyyy higher. I'm surprised that facility isn't bleeding for people. No clue how a grown adult is living off of $40k in Hawaii.
            Last edited by JohnnyUtah1989; 05-07-2015, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
              Coleman has three facilities, the Penn, fcc, camp. So you may be put in any of those places. Penn is crazy. Maybe this is another reason that they always hiring
              There are 4 main facilities at Coleman. 2 USP's and 2 FCI's then a camp. Generally they hire quite frequently and then divide the class up for 3 at USP 1 4 for USP 2 2 for FCI 1 etc etc etc

Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
              Gotcha. Thanks. I read on another forum that the OPM salaries are not based off of COL, but based off of other salaries In the area, or something like that. What I find really bizarre is that the FDC in Hawaii is only offering a little more money than Coleman and the COL is wayyyy higher. I'm surprised that facility isn't bleeding for people. No clue how a grown adult is living off of $40k in Hawaii.
              Coleman is always hiring and they are hurting. As far as COL for Hawaii the location it's self is enough to attract folks so they don't need tp perk it up much. I know someone that is there now and it isn't his favorite place.

Comment

• Funny that you guys mention Coleman today and I've been waiting 2 weeks just to be able to post on this forum! I applied to BOP a few months ago and received an email from Coleman saying they are putting together a hiring list on April 27th for GS5. I decided to switch it to my first choice and the next day my application was "referred" to them (April 24th). I know it's still a long way from being hired, but I am hoping to get a call soon and really begin the process. I am currently in Tsa and wanting to move up to a better agency and LEO. JohnnyUtah did you apply with Coleman?
                BOP 10/04/2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt_Falco View Post
                  Funny that you guys mention Coleman today and I've been waiting 2 weeks just to be able to post on this forum! I applied to BOP a few months ago and received an email from Coleman saying they are putting together a hiring list on April 27th for GS5. I decided to switch it to my first choice and the next day my application was "referred" to them (April 24th). I know it's still a long way from being hired, but I am hoping to get a call soon and really begin the process. I am currently in Tsa and wanting to move up to a better agency and LEO. JohnnyUtah did you apply with Coleman?
                  Nope. I'm gonna ride out the summer and hope to get into Philly or Jersey. If I don't make any progress by the fall, I'm gonna switch Coleman to # 1 and make the move.

Comment

Nope. I'm gonna ride out the summer and hope to get into Philly or Jersey. If I don't make any progress by the fall, I'm gonna switch Coleman to # 1 and make the move.
                    That's a good idea. I'm living in Miami now so it would be a great move for me because, as you said, the cost of living is very low and there are still major cities (Orlando) close enough to have a good time. Decent 2 bedroom in Miami is 12-1400$ vs 6-700$ in Leesburg lol.
                    BOP 10/04/2015

Comment

That's a good idea. I'm living in Miami now so it would be a great move for me because, as you said, the cost of living is very low and there are still major cities (Orlando) close enough to have a good time. Decent 2 bedroom in Miami is 12-1400$ vs 6-700$ in Leesburg lol.
                      I don't blame you for wanting to make that move. Tampa and the beach isnt all that far either from Coleman. I would also assume that there's probably a ton of OT there since they're always so short. I'm single with no children, so I can pack up and relocate whenever I want. That is one privilege I will miss when I get older. Lol. Good luck.

Comment

• If a facility pulls a hiring list for gs5, and I got BQ for 5 but highly qualified for 6, will that hurt me? I have read on here a few times that it is a must to be BQ for both pay bands
                        BOP 10/04/2015

Comment

If a facility pulls a hiring list for gs5, and I got BQ for 5 but highly qualified for 6, will that hurt me? I have read on here a few times that it is a must to be BQ for both pay bands
                          You will get brought in as a 5.

Comment

• I never applied for a GS6 bc I don't have the LE experience or a masters degree. Is this hurting me or should I apply for GS6 knowing I'm not even closed to qualified? I'm BQ for GS5.

Comment

I never applied for a GS6 bc I don't have the LE experience or a masters degree. Is this hurting me or should I apply for GS6 knowing I'm not even closed to qualified? I'm BQ for GS5.
                              You should apply for both. Most people do. It can't hurt not to. I did when I applied, I only got a 5 with 4 years Federal service behind me. It's not a bad Jon but I'm not staying long.

Comment

That's what I figured, but a guy on another forum told me that you get that 14-17% bonus in one lump sum your first year, and then it gets added to your salary each additional year. I didn't think that made sense. Thanks.
                                The recruitment bonus is a one time deal however the retention incentive is reoccurring based on institutional need and funding. Discuss it with Employee Services at the institution.
                                Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                                Me: you really want an answer to that
                                Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17925 users online. 447 members and 17478 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X