Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey in625shooter - How often does BOP hire people claiming Veteran preference to be exempt from the 37 age limit. Also what is the thing about getting another set of credentials after 5 years.
    Last edited by valetudo39; 04-15-2015, 02:30 PM.
    Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
      They only issue badges for on duty armed posts. Not really sure what the reason is. you will find that sometimes BOP dumb's things down.

You can work other jobs but you have to submit a memo and form to your Warden but there are some stipulations. You can not work any jobs where you are required to carry a firearm (so no reserve Police jobs) and a few other factors but unless you are at a facility that has ZERO O/T why bother. you can make a pretty good mint at those institutions that have a lot. Some of our Officers are bringing in over 100,000 with O/T on rest of the US Salary.
      I'm assuming outside work involving alcohol (bartender, server, bouncer) etc is prohibited?

Comment

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
        Hey in625shooter - How often does BOP hire people claiming Veteran preference to be exempt from the 37 age limit. Also what is the thing about getting another set of credentials after 5 years.
        Since they started the age waiver for vets I have only seeen 2 staff come on board my institution which I am at an FCC so we hire about 50-70 Officer a year.

The way they use to do it is you had your agency ID when you started and after 5 years you got your Credentials. But in 2013 they issued everyone new ID's whether you were brand new or already had credentials that were just like the 5 year Credentials but all of them said "Law Enforcement Officer" on them in Red Letters. This was because in 2013 they amended the LEOSA law and required that the agency issued ID was suppose to say "LEO" on them. BOP for years when someone was issued a retired ID the retired ID had "Retired Law Enforcement Officer" on it.

As far as badges BOP issued a second ID to both credentialed and non credentialed staff in 2005 that said LEO on it, the national Union wanted BOP to issue Badges to everyone, The Director and Central Office bucked and fought the Union on it since LEOSA didn't require anyone to carry a badge and it resulted in the Director getting mad and they required everyone to turn in their second new ID. (we were still covered under LEOSA and they couldn't change that just a punk move from some hurt egos)

Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
        I'm assuming outside work involving alcohol (bartender, server, bouncer) etc is prohibited?
        I am not really sure about the alcohol, I can check with HR sometime. Don't know of anyone that does it, no one here really has any off duty employment other than maybe being part of a family farm or a side HVAC or Carpenter or repairs cars as a hobby kind of thing. Most of them are non custody since custody has first dibs on O/T and are making bank.

Comment

• I've stumbled across some websites that make custom badges with an eagle or American flag on it and you can customize them to say BOP/DOJ/Federal Officer/HR 218, etc..does anyone do this or is it frowned upon/not approved?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
            I've stumbled across some websites that make custom badges with an eagle or American flag on it and you can customize them to say BOP/DOJ/Federal Officer/HR 218, etc..does anyone do this or is it frowned upon/not approved?
            I would refrain from any of that. The whole HR 218 thing is not accurate. It was LEOSA. The HR 218 was only the number of the bill HR stands for House Resolution and 218 was the number of House Resolutions it was for that year so in 2004 HR 218 was the legislation introducing LEOSA that year. Every year if they get up past 218 bills introduced there will be another HR 218. So the folks pan handling those things are about as dumb as the ones that buy into it.

Several BOP Employee clubs at institutions as well as the approved uniform vendors sell several Wallets and items with the BOP star-burst badge on them but be warned DO NOT GET HIMMED UP FLASHING ANY BADGE. BOP employees have ZERO statutory powers of arrest of duty. The only right you have is you are qualified to carry a personal firearm with you.
            Last edited by in625shooter; 04-15-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I would refrain from any of that. The whole HR 218 thing is not accurate. It was LEOSA. The HR 218 was only the number of the bill HR stands for House Resolution and 218 was the number of House Resolutions it was for that year so in 2004 HR 218 was the legislation introducing LEOSA that year. Every year if they get up past 218 bills introduced there will be another HR 218. So the folks pan handling those things are about as dumb as the ones that buy into it.

Several BOP Employee clubs at institutions as well as the approved uniform vendors sell several Wallets and items with the BOP star-burst badge on them but be warned DO NOT GET HIMMED UP FLASHING ANY BADGE. BOP employees have ZERO statutory powers of arrest of duty. The only right you have is you are qualified to carry a personal firearm with you.
              That's pretty much what I was thinking. It seems like anyone can order/customize a badge to say anything online, which can be very dangerous for a lot of reasons.

Comment

• On the application it has a check the box which asks if you would take part-time or temporary. Does BOP have part time positions or is that just part of their standard application that can apply for non Co's positions.
                Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
                  On the application it has a check the box which asks if you would take part-time or temporary. Does BOP have part time positions or is that just part of their standard application that can apply for non Co's positions.
                  No not really, The only part time employment with BOP as a GOV employee is there are some Physicians that work 20 hours a week and maintain their practice in town etc. Thats at my institution, there might be a couple other disciplines but the majority Officer, Nurses, LT's Facilities etc etc etc are all full time. They do have several contract employees. Mostly for medical and some religious for those hard to fill things. The medical contractors are things like Pharmacy Techs, Medical Records Lab etc supplement BOP. Not all BOP facilities have BOP Pharmacy Tech or staff etc. They generally can't work more than 30 hours a week. They work at the institution, have the same background check BOP staff do but don't go to Glynco and have no retirement other than what their company offers them (401K etc). Most contractors are BOP spouses or retired BOP staff

Comment

• Thanks for responding and those of you that responded threw private messages I thank you also. Is there anybody here that work in MDC Brooklyn??

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                    That is a wide range of possibilities since there are a ton of offerings. I use federal Blue Cross/Shield for a family and my part is around 200 a pay. Others might be less others might be more.

Comment

I will add, It's not being soft or a sellout or weak it's called BALANCE. You have nothing to prove Prison work is not rewarding, you won't get a pat on the back and if you are the type that needs their ego stroked then stay employed somewhere else because you will be a dangerous staff member. The ones with the ego or exaggerate their awesomeness have the most trouble, inmates smell it like blood in the water they know that staff member is really shallow and hiding something and you will have more issues. Not that you would be outright attacked etc but your mental buttons will be pushed so what are you going to do, Scenario is your in that case,no hard contraband or anything just personality clash with inmate schmuckatelli, SHU is full and the LT tells you to deal with it unless they go hands on you write them a shot and wait until DO to see what the sanctions are and did I mention no room in SHU for petty BS incident reports There is your scenario.

Pick your battles.
                      What they said - I came from the street as well. If you come in to the joint all billy badd *** not only are you a liability to youself, your a liability to me and I prefer to make it past the grills intact - now don't get me wrong, if your doing everything right and I/M bucks well it's time to go to war....he had it coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
                        That's pretty much what I was thinking. It seems like anyone can order/customize a badge to say anything online, which can be very dangerous for a lot of reasons.
                        If anyone would like to read the current version of LEOSA it is codified as 18 USC 926(B) Active LE just Google it

Comment

• Are there communal barracks at some complex facilities? For example, if you want to work OT back to back type shifts with some sleep in between, is there a place to crash? I'm planning to drive from my home that's 96 miles away from the facility and in the event I can sign on for OT, maybe I could avoid having to drive all that way back and forth.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeltaScout View Post
                            Are there communal barracks at some complex facilities? For example, if you want to work OT back to back type shifts with some sleep in between, is there a place to crash? I'm planning to drive from my home that's 96 miles away from the facility and in the event I can sign on for OT, maybe I could avoid having to drive all that way back and forth.
                            No they have bno such thin in BOP. usually people in those cases just make due by staying at a friend or co worker that is close.

Comment

• Got'cha! Thanks for the response.

Comment

• If for some miracle I get picked up at age 47 by VEOA or VRA when would I have to retire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18836 users online. 501 members and 18335 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X