Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by qwertyuiop123 View Post
    it's definitely a different beast.

The I/M's know my policy...as long as you want to be treated like a man I will treat you like a man....if you don't want to be treated like a man...we can do that. I'm at a USP so I don't sweat all the small stuff & go crazy over petty things. If you have nothing to take away you have no leverage. It's a give & take. I'll be honest...at 1st you may feel like a sellout or "soft" because you realize that you have to rely on your mouth & brain 90% of the time (if you want a long career) and not use your street skills to "set the tone" hahahahaha. Some cops are able to adapt and some are not.

I will add, It's not being soft or a sellout or weak it's called BALANCE. You have nothing to prove Prison work is not rewarding, you won't get a pat on the back and if you are the type that needs their ego stroked then stay employed somewhere else because you will be a dangerous staff member. The ones with the ego or exaggerate their awesomeness have the most trouble, inmates smell it like blood in the water they know that staff member is really shallow and hiding something and you will have more issues. Not that you would be outright attacked etc but your mental buttons will be pushed so what are you going to do, Scenario is your in that case,no hard contraband or anything just personality clash with inmate schmuckatelli, SHU is full and the LT tells you to deal with it unless they go hands on you write them a shot and wait until DO to see what the sanctions are and did I mention no room in SHU for petty BS incident reports There is your scenario.

Pick your battles.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
      I will add, It's not being soft or a sellout or weak it's called BALANCE. You have nothing to prove Prison work is not rewarding, you won't get a pat on the back and if you are the type that needs their ego stroked then stay employed somewhere else because you will be a dangerous staff member. The ones with the ego or exaggerate their awesomeness have the most trouble, inmates smell it like blood in the water they know that staff member is really shallow and hiding something and you will have more issues. Not that you would be outright attacked etc but your mental buttons will be pushed so what are you going to do, Scenario is your in that case,no hard contraband or anything just personality clash with inmate schmuckatelli, SHU is full and the LT tells you to deal with it unless they go hands on you write them a shot and wait until DO to see what the sanctions are and did I mention no room in SHU for petty BS incident reports There is your scenario.

Pick your battles.
      In short, dont be a billy badass. I definately do not have the "billy badass" attitude. I sometimes hate when im in social situations in which everyone is talking about their career and I mention I am a CO. It seems most people get this picture in their head that most prisons are unruly and we are constantly fighting the inmates.

Comment

• Hi officers/applicants.

I threw my application on March 24. I applied to GS-5 and obtained a Best qualified (after having to switch some answers)

I put Victorville and Tucson as options, but I'm open to almost anything that they offer me.

My question is for for people who has been on the application process recently, when I could be expecting to hear from them?

I got an email from FCC Florence Asking if I was interested in working there as a GS6, but I'm only GS5. (After this I placed Florence instead of Tucson as second option)

Does getting that email mean that they reviewed my application? On USAJOBS the status is the same.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Comment

• Question for you guys that work for BOP. How much do you guys pay for medical every month? For a single person, married couple and a family of four? Please reapond to all three. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
            Question for you guys that work for BOP. How much do you guys pay for medical every month? For a single person, married couple and a family of four? Please reapond to all three. Thanks
            That is a wide range of possibilities since there are a ton of offerings. I use federal Blue Cross/Shield for a family and my part is around 200 a pay. Others might be less others might be more.

Comment

• Originally posted by CristoGama View Post
              I got an email from FCC Florence Asking if I was interested in working there as a GS6, but I'm only GS5. (After this I placed Florence instead of Tucson as second option)

Does getting that email mean that they reviewed my application? On USAJOBS the status is the same.

Thanks.
              I'm pretty sure that email for Florence was a mass email sent to everyone that put an application in to the BOP. Doesn't necessarily mean you've been reviewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerami View Post
                I'm pretty sure that email for Florence was a mass email sent to everyone that put an application in to the BOP. Doesn't necessarily mean you've been reviewed.
                Yeah, that's what I thought...

Comment

• I took me 6 months after I applied before hearing back from the BOP only for them to tell me that my whole application was messed up and I would no longer be considered for the position. I firmly, but respectfully countered it and they gave me a second shot after I corrected my errors. After that, it took another 4 1/2 months until I received my firm offer.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by DeltaScout View Post
                    I took me 6 months after I applied before hearing back from the BOP only for them to tell me that my whole application was messed up and I would no longer be considered for the position. I firmly, but respectfully countered it and they gave me a second shot after I corrected my errors. After that, it took another 4 1/2 months until I received my firm offer.

Good luck!
                    If you don't mind me asking, what was allegedly wrong with your application? I don't wanna make the same error, if there ever was one. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
                      If you don't mind me asking, what was allegedly wrong with your application? I don't wanna make the same error, if there ever was one. Thanks.
                      No worries. It all had to do with my resume on USAJobs. I missed the whole part about BOP having their own special standard on how they read your resume from your application off the website. I didn't understand until the person emailing back and forth with me explained how BOP had their own resume outlines. I reorganized the whole thing and then when I took a second look at it, it made so much sense why the first time wasn't working out. And really, having corrected my resume only made me look that much more marketable. The first time around, I had left out crucial dates, training and experience. It was really a win-win once I did it over and re-submitted. And it did not start the whole process over again which was good.

Comment

No worries. It all had to do with my resume on USAJobs. I missed the whole part about BOP having their own special standard on how they read your resume from your application off the website. I didn't understand until the person emailing back and forth with me explained how BOP had their own resume outlines. I reorganized the whole thing and then when I took a second look at it, it made so much sense why the first time wasn't working out. And really, having corrected my resume only made me look that much more marketable. The first time around, I had left out crucial dates, training and experience. It was really a win-win once I did it over and re-submitted. And it did not start the whole process over again which was good.
                        The key to get on the list is have a resume that you get rated Best Qualified or BQ'd. The only way to get BQ'd is your work experience has to jive with the KSA's.

Also the resumes are not read by a person, they utilize Monster so a computer looks for key phrases etc (and don't ask me what they are) You learn by trial and error. Articulate but don't lie about all your experience and you should be OK.

Comment

• As far as transcripts, is it acceptable to scan both pages and then upload the both "pictures" to a word document, and then lastly submit the word document to the announcement in the document submittion section?

Comment

• Just out of curiosity is why doesn't BOP give its officers badges? Also can you guys work other jobs while off duty?
                            Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
                              Just out of curiosity is why doesn't BOP give its officers badges? Also can you guys work other jobs while off duty?
                              They only issue badges for on duty armed posts. Not really sure what the reason is. you will find that sometimes BOP dumb's things down.

You can work other jobs but you have to submit a memo and form to your Warden but there are some stipulations. You can not work any jobs where you are required to carry a firearm (so no reserve Police jobs) and a few other factors but unless you are at a facility that has ZERO O/T why bother. you can make a pretty good mint at those institutions that have a lot. Some of our Officers are bringing in over 100,000 with O/T on rest of the US Salary.

Comment

I took me 6 months after I applied before hearing back from the BOP only for them to tell me that my whole application was messed up and I would no longer be considered for the position. I firmly, but respectfully countered it and they gave me a second shot after I corrected my errors. After that, it took another 4 1/2 months until I received my firm offer.

Good luck!
                                Thanks for the response. I hope that that resume thing doesn't happen to me...

Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
                                As far as transcripts, is it acceptable to scan both pages and then upload the both "pictures" to a word document, and then lastly submit the word document to the announcement in the document submittion section?
                                I scanned all the documents with an mobile app wich scans images into PDFs (with amazing results) and melted all the separate pdf into one. And I uploaded that thing

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8079 users online. 213 members and 7866 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X