300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
    Gs-6 is pretty much prior LE experience or a masters degree, correct?
    Originally posted by oef_vet View Post
    I got the email also; but only qualify for GS5.
    For the GL 6 you are "suppose" to have the year of experience. Experience always trumps education and you will get a higher starting grade. GL 5 is for folks with a degree and zero education as well as all VRA boards (Veterans) start out as GL 5's. That is done on the VRA boards to afford Vets not otherwise qualified (motorpool, maint infantry but no Police/corrections experience) to get employed by BOP.

However how they (several Wardens) were doing it is back in 2010 they started bringing in everyone experience or not as GL 5's. Saved them some money. It is not like that 100% but at the same time if you fall into that relm just go with it, you will be a 7 step 3 the same time someone that hires in as a 6 step 1 with you is.

Comment

• anyone have any info on FDC Houston.....i know they house all security levels and it a detention center.....
      i already read what wiki has on FDC houston

anyone know what its like to work there?
      any experiences, stories or feedback would be great

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
        anyone have any info on FDC Houston.....i know they house all security levels and it a detention center.....

High rises are a little different animals than a standard FCI, USP etc. First being it is a high rise you are indoors all the time, being it is a pre/post trial you generally don't have the inmates that long before they are transferred to their designated facility, you will se several come back and forth to Writ for court appearances, appeals etc.

The turn over might be slightly higher than a stand alone FCI etc in FDC.s/MCC/s are in large metro areas where local LE agencies pay as much or more with more advancement than BOP has compared to those in the rest of the country so.

Folk I work with that were at a couple MCC's (not Houston) said it was fine but they are moving around for their career.

Comment

anyone have any info on FDC Houston.....i know they house all security levels and it a detention center.....

I wouldn't advise putting Houston as a first choice. You usually have to already work for the BOP to get on there. I had them as my first choice for two years before learning they basically only hire people transferring from other facilities.

Comment

dont do it got dudes with 12 years in still waiting for a transfer..lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Evolution81 View Post
              dont do it got dudes with 12 years in still waiting for a transfer..lol
              Everyone wants that high COLA. A lot of folks commute in and get a heck of a house for the money with modest driving time. Thats the problem with getting to Houston.

Comment

• I've been meaning to update. I received my OF5 and submitted it. Now I'm waiting for some paperwork that I need to fax back to HR before scheduling an interview. Anyone know what these papers are?
                Last edited by rob08; 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rob08 View Post
                  I've been meaning to update. I received my OF5 and submitted it. Now I'm waiting for some paperwork that I need to fax back to HR before scheduling an interview. Anyone know what these papers are?
                  They need various paperwork to make sure you are qualified for Federal employment etc. AND they are vouching you out before your interview for any obvious show stoppers etc. They will (or should have) a good feel for you before the interview, the interview just tells them if you are halfway real or just impressive on a resume so to speak.

All formalities and there are a few of them before you get hired. Just keep plugging along and you will be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                    They need various paperwork to make sure you are qualified for Federal employment etc. AND they are vouching you out before your interview for any obvious show stoppers etc. They will (or should have) a good feel for you before the interview, the interview just tells them if you are halfway real or just impressive on a resume so to speak.

All formalities and there are a few of them before you get hired. Just keep plugging along and you will be fine.
                    Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

• why is the BOP offering recruitment incentive to FCI Dublin, USP Atwater, FCI Herlong and FCI Mendota, and FCC Victorville
                      obviously they are short handed.....but why is that....are these bad places to work at? why are they short handed?

Comment

why is the BOP offering recruitment incentive to FCI Dublin, USP Atwater, FCI Herlong and FCI Mendota, and FCC Victorville
                        obviously they are short handed.....but why is that....are these bad places to work at? why are they short handed?
                        Those are all in California. California institutions are harder to fill because most local LE agencies and state DOC there start out higher than BOP where in almost all the rest of the US BOP pay starts out and climbs considerable more than anything local. So they put incentives in place to attract staff.

As far as bad places I know a LT at Dublin and he loves it, Mendota I work with a LT that use to be there and he liked it but was ready to move. Nothing happens at those 2. Herlong is out in the middle of nowhere.

As far as Victorville it is a complex with a USP so there is business and USP issues. Atwater is a stand alone USP so no business but USP issues.

USP's have the worst inmates so you will see a lot more things there than stand alone FCI's no matter if your n California or West Virginia.

Comment

Those are all in California. California institutions are harder to fill because most local LE agencies and state DOC there start out higher than BOP where in almost all the rest of the US BOP pay starts out and climbs considerable more than anything local. So they put incentives in place to attract staff.

As far as bad places I know a LT at Dublin and he loves it, Mendota I work with a LT that use to be there and he liked it but was ready to move. Nothing happens at those 2. Herlong is out in the middle of nowhere.

As far as Victorville it is a complex with a USP so there is business and USP issues. Atwater is a stand alone USP so no business but USP issues.

USP's have the worst inmates so you will see a lot more things there than stand alone FCI's no matter if your n California or West Virginia.

what do u mean by business? i know by issues you mean fights and violence.

Comment

• Typo I ment busyness. Complex's are off the hook with constant busy work and staff drama (sometimes entertaining). As far as the USP part you will see a lot more things in a couple years there than some staff see in a 20 year career at a stand alone FCI.

Comment

Typo I ment busyness. Complex's are off the hook with constant busy work and staff drama (sometimes entertaining). As far as the USP part you will see a lot more things in a couple years there than some staff see in a 20 year career at a stand alone FCI.
                              thanks you have been very helpful......do you know what the locality rates are for these places?

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...ement-officer/

i know locality varies by cities.....would the units fallen with San Francisco?

Comment

thanks you have been very helpful......do you know what the locality rates are for these places?

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...ement-officer/

i know locality varies by cities.....would the units fallen with San Francisco?
                                I believe Dublin falls in the SF area. The others (except Herlong) fall somewhere where they are more than the rest of the US scale. Not 199% sure where they fall into. For several years Atwater was on rest of the US scale but they finally wised up and increased them. Herlong at last account was on rest of the US but again not 100% sure. Don't really have any interest an any institutions in Calf

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17423 users online. 509 members and 16914 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X