300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
    Sorry but thats a big Negative. The only way to get on the list they pull for interviews is to be rated Best Qualified (BQ). You need to go back and tweak your application. Articulate your job experience to better reflect the KSA's however don't exaggerate it into a lie.
    Thank's for taking the time.

The thing is I've reviewed my answers and I don't think there is a way of improving what I answered without falling into lie...

I supose the answers that put you into Best Qualified are the ones that include Correctional work in them right?

EDIT: All right, now I am best qualified and I didn't lie.

The thing is in some questions, various options are true for me, is just matter of making the right combination...
    Last edited by CristoGama; 03-23-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Drugs are still illegal in the eyes of the Federal GOV they just choose to allow the states to do their thing as far as certain types of usage. It's use is still not allowed for a large percentage of employees and especially Federal Government employees and a condition of employment so local laws do not matter.

As far as credit issues that is a big percentage of the show stoppers but usually as long as you are currently paying your just debt it's not a problem. They don't have a debt to income limit just what any past due amounts are if they are above so much, whic is pretty forgiving. Folks that get shut out over credit either are very bad/careless with their bills or in a couple cases had bad luck (very sick spouse/child) with large medical bills but in that case as long as you are paying whatever a month and have a letter they usually won't disqualify over that.
      I understand the nuances of the use laws, after over 20 yrs as a street cop (Now retired) I think I've got that down. And I understand the Federal view. Yet I am baffled that we cannot find viable applicants! These are good positions. Wether as a stepping stone or as a career.
      As for MJ use, I do not know of any governmental entity at any political division that allows employees to use MJ here in Colorado, even though it is legal. So that should not be a surprise to job seekers.

As for the credit issue, I can understand that being a block. The pay is not that great for a few years, and just the cost of living around here makes it tough, let alone with bills and catch up agreements to pay.
      Yet still I would think there would be clean desireable applicants out there. I hope HR starts finding them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
        I understand the nuances of the use laws, after over 20 yrs as a street cop (Now retired) I think I've got that down. And I understand the Federal view. Yet I am baffled that we cannot find viable applicants! These are good positions. Wether as a stepping stone or as a career.
        As for MJ use, I do not know of any governmental entity at any political division that allows employees to use MJ here in Colorado, even though it is legal. So that should not be a surprise to job seekers.

As for the credit issue, I can understand that being a block. The pay is not that great for a few years, and just the cost of living around here makes it tough, let alone with bills and catch up agreements to pay.
        Yet still I would think there would be clean desireable applicants out there. I hope HR starts finding them.
        The thing whether BOP, state DOC of jails face a couple of issues in getting qualified candidates. BOP fares a little better in BOP pays the best (in most places) and you get a pretty good jump at your first year then automatic step and or grade increases to GL 7 and steps past that until year 4 ish. Also if you don't mind moving you can obtain decent promotions.

#1 A lot of people are too condescending in the way they look at any work in Corrections, like they are too good for it or it is above their own skill set. IMHO if you think you are too good to work a cell house then you shouldn't be in a patrol car.probably why I would not be liked as a Sheriff, Chief at least 2 years in the jail as an Officer would be required before any patrol duty.

#2 A lot of the newer Millinials (and even some later in life hires lately) just don't want to work. They come in the door disillusioned that they are owed weekends and holiday's off and cake assignments without having to take their lumps. In BOP those types either resign or lay down and are the oxygen thief's Dad warned you about then complain when they don't get their GL 8 in 3 years when all thy do is stay outside the fence in a truck or tower.

#3 as far as agencies other than BOP the money and chance for advancement is usually not the best.

Comment

• I
          Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
          The thing whether BOP, state DOC of jails face a couple of issues in getting qualified candidates. BOP fares a little better in BOP pays the best (in most places) and you get a pretty good jump at your first year then automatic step and or grade increases to GL 7 and steps past that until year 4 ish. Also if you don't mind moving you can obtain decent promotions.

#1 A lot of people are too condescending in the way they look at any work in Corrections, like they are too good for it or it is above their own skill set. IMHO if you think you are too good to work a cell house then you shouldn't be in a patrol car.probably why I would not be liked as a Sheriff, Chief at least 2 years in the jail as an Officer would be required before any patrol duty.

#2 A lot of the newer Millinials (and even some later in life hires lately) just don't want to work. They come in the door disillusioned that they are owed weekends and holiday's off and cake assignments without having to take their lumps. In BOP those types either resign or lay down and are the oxygen thief's Dad warned you about then complain when they don't get their GL 8 in 3 years when all thy do is stay outside the fence in a truck or tower.

#3 as far as agencies other than BOP the money and chance for advancement is usually not the best.
          I think you really may have touched on many of the recruiting issues. Especially with point #1. Having been a C.O. Made me a much better
          Cop and gave me a respect for the position. So much so I returned to it after the street. People would skew their faces and ask why do you want to do that? The movies and media have given such a false picture of the profession.
          In this area the starting pay is about 40,000 to 49,000 for street or jail (Denver metro). However, the upward mobility, as well as the ability to work all over the U.S. Need to be understood. What we need in this area is an advertising program selling these points. I suppose there is no money for that though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
            I

I think you really may have touched on many of the recruiting issues. Especially with point #1. Having been a C.O. Made me a much better
            Cop and gave me a respect for the position. So much so I returned to it after the street. People would skew their faces and ask why do you want to do that? The movies and media have given such a false picture of the profession.
            In this area the starting pay is about 40,000 to 49,000 for street or jail (Denver metro). However, the upward mobility, as well as the ability to work all over the U.S. Need to be understood. What we need in this area is an advertising program selling these points. I suppose there is no money for that though.
            I will also add to my #1 comment that one of the things that has divided Joe Public against a lot of police is the attitude os a lot of the Police do not win over the public. yes people don't like to get arrested but My point is at the non arresting contacts (simple tickets or even just a contact) A lot of PO's (and this applies to some CO's in prisons) is their own Ego. it's not that they have authority over people its that they are not discretionary with applying that authority. There is a time and a place to go full bore, just because you have the legal authority does not mean the guy or gal did anything majorly wrong. There is a big difference between a murderer, domestic battery suspect or someone fighting/actively resisting and someone simply speeding. Cops (especially younger ones) that have this attitude that everyone that isn't LE need to bow to them as a subject to a king is in it for the wrong reason. Those are also the ones that cause a lot of rifts between CO's and LEO's which would be rectified by making any LEO have a mandatory 2 year bit working some cell blocks.

Comment

I will also add to my #1 comment that one of the things that has divided Joe Public against a lot of police is the attitude os a lot of the Police do not win over the public. yes people don't like to get arrested but My point is at the non arresting contacts (simple tickets or even just a contact) A lot of PO's (and this applies to some CO's in prisons) is their own Ego. it's not that they have authority over people its that they are not discretionary with applying that authority. There is a time and a place to go full bore, just because you have the legal authority does not mean the guy or gal did anything majorly wrong. There is a big difference between a murderer, domestic battery suspect or someone fighting/actively resisting and someone simply speeding. Cops (especially younger ones) that have this attitude that everyone that isn't LE need to bow to them as a subject to a king is in it for the wrong reason. Those are also the ones that cause a lot of rifts between CO's and LEO's which would be rectified by making any LEO have a mandatory 2 year bit working some cell blocks.
              I agree. The average citizen might be pleased with the end out come as well. And many LE would have less grief, even less danger in some circumstances.
              If this were the era of the Roman Collesium contests, LE might be the Gladiators. We would be the Lion tamers.

Comment

• For anyone interested, word is that FCI Englewood is looking for high quality applicants. (I am sure being a veteran is a big help). The word is that AT LEAST 20 new hires are needed.
                It seems that some correctional experience is also desirable.

Comment

• USP Atlanta is hiring alot of people as well. At first it seems like it was veterans only but this last batch has no experience or military. Just college.

Comment

• Florence Colorado will be hiring GS6 soon. I'm not interested, but if anyone else is you can make them to your first choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by rob08 View Post
                      Florence Colorado will be hiring GS6 soon. I'm not interested, but if anyone else is you can make them to your first choice.
                      I got an email from them... to bad that I applied under GS-5

They send this type of emails to everyone or just Best Qualified applicants?

Comment

• Originally posted by CristoGama View Post

I have no idea. You should apply for both if you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by CristoGama View Post

Unless there was a SNAFU only the ones rated Best Qualified should have gotten the E mail.

Comment

• Originally posted by rob08 View Post
                            I have no idea. You should apply for both if you can.
                            I only meet the criteria for GS-5 ...

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                            Unless there was a SNAFU only the ones rated Best Qualified should have gotten the E mail.

That is what I suposed. Thank you.

Another question: Do you know if you get emails on a regular basis just like this one with florence?

Comment

• Gs-6 is pretty much prior LE experience or a masters degree, correct?

Comment

• I got the email also; but only qualify for GS5.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12431 users online. 392 members and 12039 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X