Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imthatguy
    replied
    Anyone knows time frame after JSTARS submitted before here back for final offer? Also what’s the difference between FDC and FCI, being hired on as GS-7

Leave a comment:

• JJCP0123
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you guys for the advice and comments! I contacted HR today, she was very helpful and I did make the list and should be receiving the OF-5 tomorrow. Crossing my fingers, I hear this is a very promising career.

• Camelbak
    commented on 's reply
    Hiring is fairly fast and straightforward compared to other agencies. Mine took about five months from applying to working. You'll definitely be given the opportunities to transfer if you want, it's also the fastest way of moving up the ranks if you plan to make a career out of it. California has a wide variety of institutions. If you want places where a lot of actions goes down (I wouldn't, but some people like that) pick Victorville or Atwater. If you want to work in a more jail environment pick either MCC San Diego or MDC Los Angeles. If you just want to work with women then there is Dublin. So, there is pretty much is an institution for whatever you want. I don't work for the BOP anymore, but it's what you make of it, I don't regret my time there.

• Ty808
    commented on 's reply
    Hiring process can take anywhere 3-8 months depending on how much officers the institution is hurting for them. My process took about 3months but I have my application in for about 2years prior. My advice to make the process go faster is to contact the institution that you’re trying to get on with and ask if they can put you in contact with HR. Phone numbers and email address to the institution can be found on bop.gov If you are willing to move to another state to get on with an institution that is hurting for officers that would be how you can get the process moving a lot faster. I tried getting on with the FDC back in Hawaii for 2years with no luck. So my third year trying to get in I started emailing institutions in California, Seattle and Colorado and got a hit with Colorado. Got put into contact with HR and she helped push my application along very quickly. It took all about 3months from start to finish. And moving around in the BOP from what I heard is very easy. As long as you’re a decent officer and keep your nose clean from all the bs you’ll be fine. I’ve even heard crap staff getting transferred but that’s to and far in between. Also if you’re a veteran you’ll have a better chance of getting in faster as your at the top of the list. I believe they go thru all the VA applicants first before hiring non VA.

• jahson83
    commented on 's reply
    So no shield or badge given?
    ID cards?

• JJCP0123
    replied
    Good Evening Everyone,

I recently applied and have been referred, finally after 3 years of applying. I am currently a Police Officer for the Veterans Affairs but am looking for something more rewarding. How long is the hiring process? And are there opportunities to transfer? I'd like to transfer to California eventually. Pros/cons? Thank you for your help in advance and looking forward to hearing your guys advice/comments.

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ty808 View Post
    Who does the reference checking when transferring internally? Is it HR or the Warden? I’ve been trying to move back home to Honolulu and get on with the FDC. I’m currently located at FCC Florence. I know the first few times I put in I was bouncing around all the institutions so I didn’t really get to establish Report with the higher ups due to being moved all over the complex. Now I’m station at one permanently and have established that report. This past one I put in was in Dec 2019. BQ and got referred. Couple weeks ago got an email stating no one was picked. Also on usajobs were it usually says referred in green letters now say canceled in red letters. First time I have seen this. They also reference checking was conducted but asked around and nobody said they were contacted for a reference check.
    Just like a regular promotion a lateral does the Capt to Capt AW to AW and Warden to Warden vouch. The GOOD thing is I gour case of a lateral it's not a super isor so the RD wo t have to check the box.

My suggestion get with your Capt and your AW and just ask if they know anyone at Honolulu. How it works is they have probably been to LTs Capt or AW train in ng. They always make deals. And with that being home it can be in your favor. Also if you have let them know they can maybe call and that's generally how laterals get announced. The Warden hears from his AW wtc someone wants to come there so he has HR post it. In the old days it was just a Warden to Wardwn Memo and mich easier.

As for the canceled spot. Who know they do that sometimes no rhyme no reason

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Ty808
    replied
    Who does the reference checking when transferring internally? Is it HR or the Warden? I’ve been trying to move back home to Honolulu and get on with the FDC. I’m currently located at FCC Florence. I know the first few times I put in I was bouncing around all the institutions so I didn’t really get to establish Report with the higher ups due to being moved all over the complex. Now I’m station at one permanently and have established that report. This past one I put in was in Dec 2019. BQ and got referred. Couple weeks ago got an email stating no one was picked. Also on usajobs were it usually says referred in green letters now say canceled in red letters. First time I have seen this. They also reference checking was conducted but asked around and nobody said they were contacted for a reference check.

Leave a comment:

• Ty808
    commented on 's reply
    My advice for you is to just put in for all 3, GL5,6,7. You never really know what they are willing to hire at. I had RRC experience which we were contracted thru the BOP but it was far from actual institution experience by any means. Got hired on as a GL6. Went to my first day of IF and learned only 4 out of 18 of us CO got picked up as GL6 while everyone else got picked up as GL5. And out of the 4 of us I had the least experience with working in an actual institution. Some of the guys that got picked up as a GL5 had actual LEO experience or had been with the state DOC for a few years before making the switch.

• bwm30
    replied
    Anyone on here from Pekin, IL? Trying to get some info on that location. Also, anyone come over from the Border Patrol? Wouldn’t mind hearing about pros and cons from someone who has been through it.

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
    Anyone work at an FDC? How is the day to day operation?

Do FDC have chow halls and the yard?
    Generally FDCs are fed on the floor aka food cart transferred up. Rec Yars sorting. Usually 4 walls and open air top

Day to day it's generally a modified lock down environment depending on on security level. You dont have to deal with stuff like a FCI USP as FDC inmates are short term hold You will see inmates coming and going to court a lot.

That's the genwral6surw someone else can give more detailed info

Leave a comment:

• dangerr101
    replied
    Anyone work at an FDC? How is the day to day operation?

Do FDC have chow halls and the yard?

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    commented on 's reply
    Being former AF and retired ANG I'm all familiar about the AF screwing the SPs. Nobody should have to pay money for a LEOSA agency Credientials.The 2013 update required the ID card or Credentials to specify LEO and that is when Military and DOD Police were added .

The 2010 update reduced the years from 15 to 10. Most agencies issue a retired ID or Creditials. BOP when one retires OR you seperate afterr 10 years you are issued (you have to ask if you are separating) similar Creditials except they say Retired LEO.

BOP has had an issue or 2 but as far as the LEOSA after the first year in 2005 with some back and fourth they so the right thing. Some staff have misinformation but the Agency (other than again a mis informed staff member here or there) has it right for the most part. Lots better than in 2005 when it was hot of the presses.
    Last edited by in625shooter; 04-27-2020, 08:39 AM.

• tigers2007
    commented on 's reply
    I'm sorry I meant "LEOSA ID Card".

Upon request of the leaving employee *and* permission from HQ, my former agency returned credentials with "Retired" or "Separated From Service" punched into them up until a couple years ago. They, like many others, now issue a sort of "LEOSA Identification Card" that merely indicates that said person is a "Qualified LEO" for LEOSA purposes. The LEOSA implied that law enforcement agencies were to issue a sort of ID card to qualified persons. There is a lot of case law on this and it favoured the government agencies; it is optional if they want to issue an ID card. Regardless, my former agency stands on basis that retirement or separated from service credentials DO NOT qualify for LEOSA identification; only their new LEOSA ID card will. I'm sure the risk management bean counters came up with that idea to cover the Agency's assets as much as possible.

https://www.defendermagazine.com/wp-...mples_X688.jpg

• in625shooter
    replied
    Tiger, Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But you don't normally collect Credientials. You are only covered in LEOSA on current agencies credentials provides you meet all the criteria. In BOP you are covered by LEOSA with BOP Credentials. You can ask to obtain Crediential after 10 years if your separating from service.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6549 users online. 439 members and 6110 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X