300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
    Does anyone know if the upcoming sequestration budget cuts will hurt hiring, or cause line staff lay offs? I would hope not, as we are short as it is. No one here seems to know anything about this. Any one in the know?
    The sequester is with Homeland Security not DOJ. the only thing it has effected so far is since Homeland Security is over Glynco so they have cancelled all those going to Glynco from BOP for the last couple weeks until the get something passed. The rest of the GOV is still operating on continuous Resolution until they get another budget passed. Just the reality of being a GOV employee with this group of elected officials on both sides. They are still hiring like normal though.

Originally posted by rob08 View Post
    Okay thanks for your response! I was so lost and thinking it could be months before another cert is pulled. Do you think calling the facility to request an interview would be a good idea?

I wouldn't call and request anything (why would you have applied if you didn't want an interview, pretty obvious) however if you do call I would ask something on if they were hiring. how many etc etc. But after you make contact I wouldn't call anymore other than once every 3-5 weeks. Anything more frequently and you might rub them wrong and find yourself not getting an interview.
    Last edited by in625shooter; 03-02-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• I guess you missed my point, but okay thank you for the information.

Comment

• Originally posted by rob08 View Post
        I guess you missed my point, but okay thank you for the information.
        I called my place once a month before I got the call. Then I missed the call and got an email lol. Before they schedule the interview you have to fill out the of5 availability form then they schedule the interview/ computer based ethics test/fingerprinting, then a few weeks later was my medical and start date.

Comment

• Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
          I called my place once a month before I got the call. Then I missed the call and got an email lol. Before they schedule the interview you have to fill out the of5 availability form then they schedule the interview/ computer based ethics test/fingerprinting, then a few weeks later was my medical and start date.
          Thank you for sharing your experience. Looking forward to the future steps of this process.

Comment

• The BOP is great for a foot in the door into the Feds. Also you can get hired pretty quick, I've known people who have gotten hired in 2 months after applying, it's all timing. Being a rookie in the feds is pretty exhausting, you will deal with more stuff from staff then you would inmates. The older staff like to throw their seniority around and some of the lieutenants will "spin" you worst than they do inmates when it comes to roster assignments. Some senior staff don't like to work the units, but I will tell you this, working the unit is what you make it, the inmates usually match you in your demeanor while you are working. if you are calm, but firm, the unit can be so quiet, not to sound cliche but if you turn up, they will turn up.

It's very comfortable on the units, you still have to watch your back and keep in mind you are mixed in with all types, but you have your own office, a microwave, a locker, a computer, a phone and you can bring in a ipod as long as its without wifi and a camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOPRook View Post
              The BOP is great for a foot in the door into the Feds. Also you can get hired pretty quick, I've known people who have gotten hired in 2 months after applying, it's all timing. Being a rookie in the feds is pretty exhausting, you will deal with more stuff from staff then you would inmates. The older staff like to throw their seniority around and some of the lieutenants will "spin" you worst than they do inmates when it comes to roster assignments. Some senior staff don't like to work the units, but I will tell you this, working the unit is what you make it, the inmates usually match you in your demeanor while you are working. if you are calm, but firm, the unit can be so quiet, not to sound cliche but if you turn up, they will turn up.

It's very comfortable on the units, you still have to watch your back and keep in mind you are mixed in with all types, but you have your own office, a microwave, a locker, a computer, a phone and you can bring in a ipod as long as its without wifi and a camera.
              I'm looking forward to the opportunity to start a career with the BOP. Like you said, it's a waiting game. I've been referred and now waiting to hear back for an interview. My resume is pretty outstanding and I have years of experience in corrections. I've heard the first year is rough, but worth it in the long run. How long was your total wait from applying to hire date?

Comment

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to start a career with the BOP. Like you said, it's a waiting game. I've been referred and now waiting to hear back for an interview. My resume is pretty outstanding and I have years of experience in corrections. I've heard the first year is rough, but worth it in the long run. How long was your total wait from applying to hire date?
                I currently am in my 7th month at USP ATL. The probationary year is not that bad and most of the time I have been working pm shift (2pm to 10pm) which I personally find very convenient. My total wait time from applying to the first day of work was approximately 8 months. My status on USA jobs was changed to "hired" about 4 months after applying. That got me extremely excited but I still had to wait another 3 months to get my firm letter and start date. I have heard other people taking a year or more to get hired and then I have heard stories of getting hired in a few weeks. I guess it all depends on the institution and how bad they need additional staff. As far as senior staff I have had nothing but positive experiences. I have met a few senior staff that butt heads with each other and I have made sure to not get wedged in between them when it happens. The LTs at my institution are all very friendly and concerned and will always back you up when you are having issues with an inmate. Working a housing unit is not all that bad and as long as you treat the inmates with respect they will respect you back. Always watch out for imates trying to compromise you as they know you are knew and will assume your a soft target. Most of the posts you will work as a rookie are housing units.

Comment

• Originally posted by dox1842 View Post
                  I currently am in my 7th month at USP ATL. The probationary year is not that bad and most of the time I have been working pm shift (2pm to 10pm) which I personally find very convenient. My total wait time from applying to the first day of work was approximately 8 months. My status on USA jobs was changed to "hired" about 4 months after applying. That got me extremely excited but I still had to wait another 3 months to get my firm letter and start date. I have heard other people taking a year or more to get hired and then I have heard stories of getting hired in a few weeks. I guess it all depends on the institution and how bad they need additional staff. As far as senior staff I have had nothing but positive experiences. I have met a few senior staff that butt heads with each other and I have made sure to not get wedged in between them when it happens. The LTs at my institution are all very friendly and concerned and will always back you up when you are having issues with an inmate. Working a housing unit is not all that bad and as long as you treat the inmates with respect they will respect you back. Always watch out for imates trying to compromise you as they know you are knew and will assume your a soft target. Most of the posts you will work as a rookie are housing units.
                  Thanks! Yeah I guess the wait time is different for everyone. You're almost done with your rookie year so congratulations. I have over 12 years in corrections and detention so I'm all to familiar with the games inmates play. I'm ready to get on at a federal level and have a retirement worth looking forward to. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Comment

• A few weeks ago- I saw an ad on Craigslist for Philly FDC specifically. I would think it's safe to say that they're hiring soon or do they all utilize Craigslist?

Comment

• Originally posted by BOPRook View Post
                      The BOP is great for a foot in the door into the Feds. Also you can get hired pretty quick, I've known people who have gotten hired in 2 months after applying, it's all timing. Being a rookie in the feds is pretty exhausting, you will deal with more stuff from staff then you would inmates. The older staff like to throw their seniority around and some of the lieutenants will "spin" you worst than they do inmates when it comes to roster assignments. Some senior staff don't like to work the units, but I will tell you this, working the unit is what you make it, the inmates usually match you in your demeanor while you are working. if you are calm, but firm, the unit can be so quiet, not to sound cliche but if you turn up, they will turn up.

I'm with boprook, I'm 7 months in and worked mainly housing units. Both USP and FCI...my inmates know if they want me turned down, they need to be" out the way" and not doing to much, and if I have to "turn up" they know why and they "hit" simple as that. each CO must develop their own style, don't try to be someone your not .... They'll see right though you.

They are always watching you, give em what they got coming nothing more, nothing less, be fair,firm, and consistent and remember despite what they say it's your house for the shift.
                      Last edited by dod299; 03-07-2015, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I'm ready to get on at a federal level and have a retirement worth looking forward to. I appreciate you sharing your experience.
                        I tried to send you a pm about this but I guess you have them turned off. Just curious, what level of corrections do you work in (state or county)? What is their retirement like? I almost got on with the local sheriff's office in my hometown but a college friend who works there talked me out of it. Their retirement was a 401k with no matching and that was it. No pension whatsoever. Their upper level management cannot figure out why younger employees are coming in, getting their POST qualification, and then leaving for greener pastures.

Comment

• [QUOTE=dox1842;3613886]I tried to send you a pm about this but I guess you have them turned off.

I sent you a pm

Comment

• Nevermind..
                            Last edited by JohnnyUtah1989; 03-09-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• is it true that inmates test you based on the way you look?
                              a friend of mine used to be work as a detention officer(8 years)......he had shaved head mustache and hair on his chin......that Chicano look....
                              inmates would try and push his buttons....

he was telling me if you look soft or not like a badass the job would be easier and inmates would not really test or bother you

Comment

• e
                                Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
                                is it true that inmates test you based on the way you look?
                                a friend of mine used to be work as a detention officer(8 years)......he had shaved head mustache and hair on his chin......that Chicano look....
                                inmates would try and push his buttons....

he was telling me if you look soft or not like a badass the job would be easier and inmates would not really test or bother you
                                You should "look the part" inmates will try you no matter what but its important to look like you care about your appearance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8909 users online. 266 members and 8643 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X