Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOP Correctional Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • edited:edit
    Last edited by stathound; 01-04-2016, 12:21 PM. Reason: added statute and quoted wrong quote originally

    Comment


    • Originally posted by stathound View Post
      Pardon my ignorance but I thought we had on and off duty powers of arrest on or off BOP property when involving an officer being assaulted? I'll try to look it up...

      EDIT: An officer or employee of the Bureau of Prisons may—
      (1) make arrests on or off of Bureau of Prisons property without warrant for violations of the following provisions regardless of where the violation may occur: sections 111 (assaulting officers), 751 (escape), and 752 (assisting escape) of title 18, United States Code, and section 1826(c) (escape) of title 28, United States Code;
      BOP Policy you have statutory powers of arrest both on and off institutional grounds however statutory powers of arrest are while ON DUTY ONLY. The last time any BOP staff effected an arrest I couldn't tell you. There are only 3 arrestable offenses for non inmates off institutional property and it is Assaulting an Officer, Escape and Facilitating an escape. It is all in PS 5510.14

      Comment


      • edited: edit
        Last edited by stathound; 01-04-2016, 12:21 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
          Wentwest whoever gave you this information was wrong. I am a Lead Firearms Instructor and you are not qualified to carry any firearms until you attend Glynco. Also after you attend Glynco if you go on medical, Military or whatever leave and mis your yearly firearms qualification you become unqualified until you re-qualify with the firearms portion of ART.

          As far as dh 3521 and the "badges" they are actually just the BOP emblem and several outlets sell them as well as several institutional employees clubs.
          Hmm, I'll have to recheck. One of our instructors basically said that you have to be trained and qualified with whatever you carry off duty to comply. That the controlling statute was the LEOSA, and that the BOP was merely, if not begrudgingly only confirming LEO status as it applies to LEOSA.
          This same instructor strongly urges everyone to get a CPL. if they wish to carry, and take training with that specific weapon.
          I am surprised that the point you made was not stressed, as I would bet we might have new hires carrying. Many of our new hires are hired off PDs or the DOC and might be assuming as I had that current/recent LE weapons training covered one as far as the LEOSA goes. So as I understand your point, the employing agency whose position puts one under the LEOSA may dictate that you cannot carry under LEOSA until you meet their specific firearms training. I'll get with him, that is good to know.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
            Hmm, I'll have to recheck. One of our instructors basically said that you have to be trained and qualified with whatever you carry off duty to comply. That the controlling statute was the LEOSA, and that the BOP was merely, if not begrudgingly only confirming LEO status as it applies to LEOSA.
            This same instructor strongly urges everyone to get a CPL. if they wish to carry, and take training with that specific weapon.
            I am surprised that the point you made was not stressed, as I would bet we might have new hires carrying. Many of our new hires are hired off PDs or the DOC and might be assuming as I had that current/recent LE weapons training covered one as far as the LEOSA goes. So as I understand your point, the employing agency whose position puts one under the LEOSA may dictate that you cannot carry under LEOSA until you meet their specific firearms training. I'll get with him, that is good to know.
            They problem with LEOSA is people try to read into it or make their own crap up. It isn't rocket science. Here is the breakdown. LEOSA states a group of qualifiers to be covered. Employed by a GOV agency (fed, state municipal etc), Statutory powers of arrest/detain, qualified to carry firearms (by your agency), supervise detained/arrested/incarcerated persons, not under the influence of any substances/alcohol, and not under any discipline.

            As far as the firearm there is no breakdown if your qualified on a 9mm Ruger or Beretta at work you can still carry a Glock, a 45 1911, 10mm or a snub nosed revolver, as long as it is legally owned it doesn't matter what type period.

            The only time any specific firearm is needed to be qualified for off duty carry is when you retire. Then you fall under the law or your state of residence. Many local PD's hold LEOSA qualifications for retired folks just get with them, they are qualified through a certified instructor through whoever runs it in that state. In Indiana a freind is a deputy and a certified instructor through the Indiana LE Academy and sends the retired BOP staff's info through them for their yearly retired qualification and they issue them a card.

            As an active LEO/BOP whatever a qualification card is not needed since the whole qualified to carry firearms clause and since you are an active staff member you should be qualified and that is just a good faith belief and you won't be required to show any, besides how many LEO's carry their work qualifications around with them?.

            No the big thing is since BOP does not REQUIRE it's staff to carry off duty staff does so at their own risk. As in "If you get into something and get sued they will not represent you". The only exception to that would be if it involved a former inmate etc or anything that could be tied to work. That is what people need to worry more about.

            Now the one advantage if you have a state permit/licence whatever your state issues is if you are under any kind of discipline under LEOSA you are not "suppose" to carry but under a state permit your legal to carry as a private citizen while under the same discipline.

            As mentioned before I am a Lead firearms and spend a lot of time on LEOSA and what I am telling you is the same as the staff attorney at Glynco would say and That is the NO BS assessment.
            Last edited by in625shooter; 02-25-2015, 05:12 PM.

            Comment


            • In625, thanks for the info and patience. I got off the phone our firearms guy confirms your info. My big mistake was thinking one could co mingle say, the ID, qualification, etc to be good under LEOSA. Example, if a 12 yr LEO with current qualification carries, he can not use his new hire BOP creds. He/she must use old agency ID. BOP creeds are no good until trained and qualified by BOP.
              You are right. The act is easy to muddle up. I like to know this stuff, even though I rarely carry, again, thanks!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

                No the big thing is since BOP does not REQUIRE it's staff to carry off duty staff does so at their own risk. As in "If you get into something and get sued they will not represent you". The only exception to that would be if it involved a former inmate etc or anything that could be tied to work. That is what people need to worry more about.
                Just curious. How often have you seen situations where a staff member has shot a former inmate in self defense? One thing that scares me is seeing a former inmate on the street.....

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dox1842 View Post
                  Just curious. How often have you seen situations where a staff member has shot a former inmate in self defense? One thing that scares me is seeing a former inmate on the street.....
                  as far as BOP I haven't myself since most inmates are not from the local area however their support network is out and about often moving and working to whichever institution they go to. The last staff homicide was tied to inmates though, that was 2 years ago to the day. He was leaving work and was ambushed. There were a total of 9 people charged in connection to his murder.

                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/21764-li...valdo-albarati

                  Comment


                  • I have a question. I applied to BOP a few days ago, but the announcement closes on March 12, 2015. Does that mean if I don't get a call/hired by March 12, I won't be eligible to get hired from this current list?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by JohnnyUtah1989 View Post
                      I have a question. I applied to BOP a few days ago, but the announcement closes on March 12, 2015. Does that mean if I don't get a call/hired by March 12, I won't be eligible to get hired from this current list?
                      I take it it was the open continuous announcement?

                      With BOP it is more about timing. On open continuous what happens is if the institution you put down pulls a list (and they can pull a list right away or they can go months without depends on which institution you put in for and how much hiring they do) then you will get rated. If you come back as Best Qualified (BQ'd) you will get referred to HR for their list to pull for an interview. You have to get BQ to make the list for an interview however Be Forewarned though just because you are on the BQ list does not guarantee an interview. Generally interview 3 people for every 1 job. So say they have 20 people on their list and 3 spots They will interview 9 people so that leaves 11 people that won't get called. Sometimes someone at the institution can help you, get picked sometimes they are throwing darts.

                      On the open continuous announcements they generally purge them at the closing date so about all the institutions will pull a list.

                      On the open continuous announcement once they purge the list in march they will have another open continuous list announcement will come up within a couple days so I would go ahead and reapply on the next one as well.

                      If you put in for a stand alone FCI (especially a low old school stand alone) you will be waiting a LONG time since there are a ton of people on those lists and only 3 or 4 spots a year. FCC's you will probably have no issue getting an interview if you can BQ.

                      Good luck

                      Comment


                      • Thanks for the clarification. Does anyone have information on Philly FDC. I ranked "BQ" and have a bachelors in CJ.

                        Comment


                        • I applied with the BOP on 9/3/14 my status changed from received to referred 2/26/15. However it only says referred and to my understanding that means I will on the next certificate that my first choice institute pulls? I'm only on a list of referred applicants at this time until the next certificate? Can anyone help me with this?.... BQ in 5&6

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by rob08 View Post
                            I applied with the BOP on 9/3/14 my status changed from received to referred 2/26/15. However it only says referred and to my understanding that means I will on the next certificate that my first choice institute pulls? I'm only on a list of referred applicants at this time until the next certificate? Can anyone help me with this?.... BQ in 5&6
                            If you are "referred" that means they have pulled a board and you are on the list of names that they will pick from for an interview. NOTE!!! Just because you make "the list" doesn't mean you will get picked. There could be 20 folks on the list and they only interview 10 so your at a 50/50. Not to be a negative Nancy but thats how it rolls down.

                            Comment


                            • Does anyone know if the upcoming sequestration budget cuts will hurt hiring, or cause line staff lay offs? I would hope not, as we are short as it is. No one here seems to know anything about this. Any one in the know?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                                If you are "referred" that means they have pulled a board and you are on the list of names that they will pick from for an interview. NOTE!!! Just because you make "the list" doesn't mean you will get picked. There could be 20 folks on the list and they only interview 10 so your at a 50/50. Not to be a negative Nancy but thats how it rolls down.
                                Okay thanks for your response! I was so lost and thinking it could be months before another cert is pulled. Do you think calling the facility to request an interview would be a good idea?
                                Last edited by rob08; 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 16290 users online. 321 members and 15969 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X