300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RX8_Vet View Post
    Wondering did everyone here that was recently hired apply through USAjobs?? I have applied twice for Tucson and nothing no movement on my application, went in today to talk to HR but the lady pretty much told me that I had a very slim chance of getting hired because I don't have corrections experience even as a vet. i know Tucson also has and FCI so was wondering also if they pull applicants from the same pool or should I got try and talk to their HR? Any advise would be appreciated.
    Were you best qualified for both grades? That's a must.

Comment

• Originally posted by RX8_Vet View Post
      Wondering did everyone here that was recently hired apply through USAjobs?? I have applied twice for Tucson and nothing no movement on my application, went in today to talk to HR but the lady pretty much told me that I had a very slim chance of getting hired because I don't have corrections experience even as a vet. i know Tucson also has and FCI so was wondering also if they pull applicants from the same pool or should I got try and talk to their HR? Any advise would be appreciated.

The issue you are facing is there are enough applicants that are Vets with experience that that is all they are using. To get hired as a Vet with no experience you will have to wait until they pull a VRA board which is Vets only. the VRA board allows Vets with Zero Corrections experience to get hired where on the regular board they need to have the 1 year experience or education to BQ. The way BOP works is for most jobs experience trumps education 9 out of 10 times. Where education comes in is getting promoted into certain jobs from Custody ie Case Manager etc.

If you are flexible you can always put in for other places that are hiring more frequently, even if thats not where you want, get hired do your year then lateral back to Tucson or wherever. Several staff have had to do that to get in.

Tucson will pull a board for both places at the same time. If they have a complex roster then you will work both joints, if they have a specific roster you will be hired n and assigned to whichever institution they are short and that is where you will stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
        The issue you are facing is there are enough applicants that are Vets with experience that that is all they are using. To get hired as a Vet with no experience you will have to wait until they pull a VRA board which is Vets only. the VRA board allows Vets with Zero Corrections experience to get hired where on the regular board they need to have the 1 year experience or education to BQ. The way BOP works is for most jobs experience trumps education 9 out of 10 times. Where education comes in is getting promoted into certain jobs from Custody ie Case Manager etc.

If you are flexible you can always put in for other places that are hiring more frequently, even if thats not where you want, get hired do your year then lateral back to Tucson or wherever. Several staff have had to do that to get in.

Tucson will pull a board for both places at the same time. If they have a complex roster then you will work both joints, if they have a specific roster you will be hired n and assigned to whichever institution they are short and that is where you will stay.
        Thanks also applying here for Pima County Sheriff CO, they are hiring maybe I can get hired on there get some experience and try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick2 View Post
          RX8, did she mean you have a slim chance at that specific institution, or in the BOP in general due to your lack correction experience?
          She was kind of vague she just said "we are looking for people with experience". She did take my resume and DD214 so maybe there's hope lol

Comment

• can anyone tell me about the academy? how hard is the physical part? is it really only 3 weeks and then your at the prison?
            FYI- i have no previous LE or military exp

i applied to FPC Bryan and FCI big spring.....any info on these prison..... lot of violence.......or an easy gig?

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
              can anyone tell me about the academy? how hard is the physical part? is it really only 3 weeks and then your at the prison?
              FYI- i have no previous LE or military exp

i applied to FPC Bryan and FCI big spring.....any info on these prison..... lot of violence.......or an easy gig?
              BOP does not have an Academy, it is 3 week course titled "Introduction to Corrections" It is not hard, You have 2 weeks of Institutional familiarization at the institution right when you start. Then if your lucky a week of OJT shadowing someone then they throw you on your own. You will not get to go to Glynco until around the 6 month mark it is that far behind.

As far as PC Bryan that is a female camp with very few openings ever and zero drama. Big Spring is a medium male joint and you won't see very much.

Comment

• hold on a second......you got to glynco after you have already been working as a CO.....that sounds backwards......

so how long are you in glynco? is is also 3 weeks?

Comment

• I applied and received a BQ grade a few months ago. I was routinely getting emails saying such and such institution was hiring, but I haven't gotten any emails like that in a while. Has hiring slowed, or has my application fallen by the wayside? Anyone familiar with how it works?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick2 View Post
                    I applied and received a BQ grade a few months ago. I was routinely getting emails saying such and such institution was hiring, but I haven't gotten any emails like that in a while. Has hiring slowed, or has my application fallen by the wayside? Anyone familiar with how it works?
                    When and if an institution hires they pull a list of best qualified people, vets get preference over non vets. When they get to you they either determine you get an Interview or your resume did not support your answers and you don't get one. Chances are you won't get called for an interview off this announcement since it closes very soon. When the new announcement opens Re apply asap so you are first in line for the new lists, all lists from the last announcement expire when the new announcement opens. Good luck. It took me a couple times.
                    Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
                    hold on a second......you got to glynco after you have already been working as a CO.....that sounds backwards......

Yes I was told I'll be working 6 months before glynco. Until after glynco we can't carry personal weapons off duty with out a permit.

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
                      hold on a second......you got to glynco after you have already been working as a CO.....that sounds backwards......

In BOP you will work a post after IF well befor you get to attend Glynco. The average is most staff have around 6 months in before they go. The only thing they can not do is work an armed post since they are not qualified on firearms until Glynco.

Comment

• so after glynco you get a shield or credentials?

and you can carry of duty in all 50 states like fbi, cbp, police?

Comment

• You will get your credentials the week you start however BOP does not issue take ome badges/shields. You get a badge if you go on an armed post but that is turned in with the firearm.

After Glynco when you are qualified with a firearm you are then legal to carry off duty anywhere in the US or it's territories under LEOSA. However, BOP has ZERO statutory powers of arrest off duty, LEOSA is just for you to save your skin if need be so you get no special powers or S on your chest. You are no different than Joe Civilian other than you get the extended courtesy of carrying a firearm.

And since BOP does not require their employees to carry firearms off duty anything you get into off duty you are responsible for on your own (ie if you need an attorney etc) The only way BOP would legally cover you is if it was somehow connected to your duties (ex inmate etc)

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                            You will get your credentials the week you start however BOP does not issue take ome badges/shields. You get a badge if you go on an armed post but that is turned in with the firearm.

After Glynco when you are qualified with a firearm you are then legal to carry off duty anywhere in the US or it's territories under LEOSA. However, BOP has ZERO statutory powers of arrest off duty, LEOSA is just for you to save your skin if need be so you get no special powers or S on your chest. You are no different than Joe Civilian other than you get the extended courtesy of carrying a firearm.

And since BOP does not require their employees to carry firearms off duty anything you get into off duty you are responsible for on your own (ie if you need an attorney etc) The only way BOP would legally cover you is if it was somehow connected to your duties (ex inmate etc)
                            I could care less about the credentials part, but looking on the uniforms websites I'm seeing all these credential wallets with "badges" in them. What is BoP policy on them? I've read some posts saying they don't want you having them, and some saying they are fine.

Again I could care less, I'm just happy to have a well paying job.

Comment

• If you have other academy firearms qualification, or military you can carry as soon as you are sworn. However, as was mentioned; we carry not to enforce or assist. It is simply allowed. As for the badges, we sell those cred cases in our lobby and the Warden, etc., have no issue with them.

I cannot recall any program statement that specifically prohibits them, not that there isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                                If you have other academy firearms qualification, or military you can carry as soon as you are sworn. However, as was mentioned; we carry not to enforce or assist. It is simply allowed. As for the badges, we sell those cred cases in our lobby and the Warden, etc., have no issue with them.

I cannot recall any program statement that specifically prohibits them, not that there isn't.
                                Wentwest whoever gave you this information was wrong. I am a Lead Firearms Instructor and you are not qualified to carry any firearms until you attend Glynco. Also after you attend Glynco if you go on medical, Military or whatever leave and mis your yearly firearms qualification you become unqualified until you re-qualify with the firearms portion of ART.

As far as dh 3521 and the "badges" they are actually just the BOP emblem and several outlets sell them as well as several institutional employees clubs.
                                Last edited by in625shooter; 02-19-2015, 10:43 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8385 users online. 323 members and 8062 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X