300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmate sign language

I know there are at least 2 or 3 variations of one handed sign language.(alphabet) Can someone point me in the direction of the one that is most commonly used by inmates? I need to learn this.

The best I have figured I can do is do my best to put a stop to it. I know a few CO's that know sign language and they cannot tell heads nor tails most of the time; for the most part the individual inmates who are doing the signing have set something up that pretty much only themselves can decipher. So, whenever I see it I put a stop to it and will just use progressive discipline until my (nutless) captain eventually allows me to lock them up.

Comment

I don't believe there is a common sign language used by inmates.
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Iowa, I agree every sign they use is taught for a specific reason so we cannot interpret it. They will play dumb when they are caught.

Other than that, they all share the same verbal language, ebonics.

Comment

Originally posted by Protect-N-Serve View Post

Other than that, they all share the same verbal language, ebonics.

Actually the universal criminal language------------stupid

Originally posted by Protect-N-Serve View Post
          Iowa, I agree every sign they use is taught for a specific reason so we cannot interpret it. They will play dumb when they are caught.
          What I meant by no universal sign language is that whatever the idiots use in LA County, won't be the same as what they use in Iowa and you will have a different sign language in Dade County Fl.

There is nothing universal like ASL

Around the turn of the century (1900) Inmates at my facility could not speak in the dining hall. They were required to use hand signals to communicate with food workers for more helping of certain items.

This is a photo copy of those signals from an old convict handbook
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-16-2010, 10:18 PM.
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Here in my camp the CMs spell everything out with the alphabet, they can't actually use real ASL. I've been saying for a few weeks now that I want to learn the alphabet so I can read what they are signing to each other.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2400 users online. 131 members and 2269 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X