300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Ideas for training

I just got selected by the admin to be the training cordinator for our county jail. We are a small staff with 15 CO's and deputies full time. The training we receive is bare bones. All staff goes through a 40 hour cert course at the academy which consist of just classroom lecture. We have no DT classes that the CO's get to go through. I'm trying to get some of that setup right now. My question is what are some other training ideas or resources I could look into? We are all trained on the tazer and oc and have the option to carry both. Which I do atleast. Any help is appreciated!

how big is your jail? i'd assume not big because of the amount of staff. how about narcotics identification or a gang training? those were two things i often wondered why were left out of our state training. i did teach a training class on STG's (security threat groups) for our prison for the new officer classes.

Comment

Our facility is only 46 beds. We have one officer thats the our gang "expert". We don't get many active or former gang members lately. But when we do, he's all over it. As of right narcs isn't a problem in our facility, not saying it will never be a problem. It's something that i'm going to look into further now. Money for training right now is VERY limited. I have to get all the yearly mandated training done first before i'm allowed to set up any extra training.

Comment

hmm. well i would have said drug id would be good in any corrections facility, considering contraband introduction into a facility is so common. if you already have a gang expert then no need for that.

how about some basic spanish? that never hurts. even if it's basic commands.

Comment

Have you tried contacting your state law enforcement academy? or the dept of corrections. In indiana they offer free classes every now and then that are refreshers for jail officers. Sometimes we get a group of officers together and go tour another prison/jail it's a good bonding experience. not technically training but we get to see how other facilities operate and it gives ideas to take back to our place. you might also try contacting some larger jails and see if you can maybe slide a few officers in during some of their training or maybe they could email you some powerpoints and you could do some roll call training.
          War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

1. Spanish
            2. Do a mock shakedown (plant some stuff in a cell and have them find it).
            3. On that note, mock anything.
            4. Report writing, could be a follow-up to a mock shakedown.
            5. PPCT and/or OCAT

Comment

ford_shooter

ILEA will certify civilian jailers in DT...................talk to your sheriff about getting someone certified.

I am sure you are aware of the Midwest CounterDrug Training Center at Camp Dodge. Here is the class schedule.............the training is free All it costs your employer is YOUR time. Yes they will let civilian jailers in the classes since you are employed by a Sheriff's dept.
              http://www.counterdrugtraining.com/d...menuitemid=106

Contact the local PD and neighboring counties and talk to their training staff..........maybe you can piggyback into some of their training........you have a couple large county/city agencies within an hour or so of your location.............

just a few thoughts
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

report writing, mma & takedowns , restraints,
                “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

I am also training coordinator for a smaller jail. We do roll call training everyday as a group and discuss it. Also with the younger officers I like to hide things on other officers and see if the rookie can find everything. Backup training corporation has some good training and so does the National Institute of Corrections.

Comment

we did some room clearing stuff in our academy that was pretty cool, correctional response only, so cuffs and flashlights, but simulating an inmate escaping then having to clear the buildings one by one (may not be as applicable to your small jail situation), also did drills where we were supposed to be looking for one inmate and then got randomly ambushed by another....really forced us to keep heads on a swivel and try to fight off the tunnel vision from an adrenaline packed situation....just some thoughts.

Comment

Maybe you can get some ideas from the ACA.
                      http://www.aca.org/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5515 users online. 307 members and 5208 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X