300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOP Weapons

I have an interview with the BOP on Tuesday. After reading through a bunch of posts, I see that new CO's go to FLETC for 3 weeks where they learn the basics included firearms. I read a post that stated new employees qualify with a handgun, shotgun, and rifle. In what instances would you use these weapons? Aren't CO's unarmed in BOP facilities? I have also read that you are allowed to carry weapons off duty.........
    ATF 1811 SA
    Applied - 10/13/09

CBPO (GEO - Philadelphia)
    Written Test - 5/11/09
    NOR (87) - 6/10/09

ICE IEA (GEO - Philadelphia)
    Written Test - 6/1/09
    NOR (88.9) - 6/22/09

ICE 1811 SA
    Written Test - 7/28/09
    Written - Passed - 8/10/09
    NOR (80.5 ugggh)

Well you would carry a pistol during outside transports. wall towers would use the shotguns and rifles. There are other weapons I'm sure, but I'm sure that would be covered in SWAT stuff.

Comment

Ok - I applied for the Philadelphia FDC, and as far as I know the building looks like an office building. I don't think there is an outside area as it is practically down the street from Independence Hall. .
      ATF 1811 SA
      Applied - 10/13/09

Written Test - 5/11/09
      NOR (87) - 6/10/09

Written Test - 6/1/09
      NOR (88.9) - 6/22/09

ICE 1811 SA
      Written Test - 7/28/09
      NOR (80.5 ugggh)

Comment

Originally posted by MontgCounty33 View Post
        Ok - I applied for the Philadelphia FDC, and as far as I know the building looks like an office building. I don't think there is an outside area as it is practically down the street from Independence Hall. .
        You seriously have no idea why a correctional institution would have guns? Use your brain a little more.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

Originally posted by DCPSDcop View Post
          You seriously have no idea why a correctional institution would have guns? Use your brain a little more.
          Don't be a smart-***. My question was more or less b/c of CO's being unarmed in the confines of the building. Maybe I should've asked, "Who within the jail facility carries a weapon". It's not like you would be walking down market street with a sub-machine gun.
          ATF 1811 SA
          Applied - 10/13/09

Written Test - 5/11/09
          NOR (87) - 6/10/09

Written Test - 6/1/09
          NOR (88.9) - 6/22/09

ICE 1811 SA
          Written Test - 7/28/09
          NOR (80.5 ugggh)

Comment

Don't be a smart-***. My question was more or less b/c of CO's being unarmed in the confines of the building. Maybe I should've asked, "Who within the jail facility carries a weapon". It's not like you would be walking down market street with a sub-machine gun.
            Everytime Ive been passed FDC they have never had weapons. Also they have a tunnel underneath 6th st in which they bring prisoners into the court house. They do have weapons when they do transports to other federal prisons such as FCI Allenwood and FCI Ft. Dix and such. They also handle prisoners remanded to them through the US Marshal's service.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Generally, the BOP has officers with sidearms patrolling the streets surrounding downtown MDc's, MCC's and FDC's. I guess the theory is in the event an inmate is able to lower himself out a window,

They used to carry shotguns patrolling the sidewalk around MCC New York in Manhattan. But that ended several years ago.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Thank you Orlando-Fed and Gold Badge
                ATF 1811 SA
                Applied - 10/13/09

Written Test - 5/11/09
                NOR (87) - 6/10/09

Written Test - 6/1/09
                NOR (88.9) - 6/22/09

ICE 1811 SA
                Written Test - 7/28/09
                NOR (80.5 ugggh)

Comment

They also have some fairly large expansive facilities in the mid-west, with lots of ground outside the walls, places like super max and the like.

kind of like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADX_Florence

Comment

I have an interview with the BOP on Tuesday. After reading through a bunch of posts, I see that new CO's go to FLETC for 3 weeks where they learn the basics included firearms. I read a post that stated new employees qualify with a handgun, shotgun, and rifle. In what instances would you use these weapons? Aren't CO's unarmed in BOP facilities? I have also read that you are allowed to carry weapons off duty.........
                    Well at my facility, there is a tower officer who is armed in case inmates get out of control on the yard. Also there is a patrol officer who drives around the outside perimeter fence. That officer is also armed. Also any officer who takes inmates to the outside hospitals is armed.

Keep in mind that any officer could have to do any of those armed posts at any point in time. That is why we must be trained in the proper use of firearms.

At my facility, we went through firearms training as part of our IF training before heading to Glynco. We have a decent range.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

The answer to that question is normally NO ONE.

However, we in Corrections often transport Convicted Felons to various locations. When we transport, we are many times armed.

The majority of Corrections Agencies have officers who are trained (we in Iowa are trained to the same standards as "real" Law Enforcement officers when dealing with weapons and use of force) to carry weapons. While we are in transport, we are held to our use of force policies as well as any policies specifically dealing with weapons.

NOW notice that I originally stated that NORMALLY on one inside the confines of a facility is armed. There are some towers that are actually inside the walls of many institutions---they are armed posts and in many departments are armed with rifles, shotguns and handguns as well as an armory of less lethal munitions as well as riot control chemicles.

There are also posts in some older prisons called gun galleries.................they are gated off areas in living units or work units where armed officers are posted to control unruly or riotous inmates,

Seriously I question the fact that you are already interviewing for a Correctional Officer position and are not familiar with the job duties. This is disturbing.

BOP staff are considered Federal Law Enforcement officers and are covered under LEOSA
                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        The answer to that question is normally NO ONE.

However, we in Corrections often transport Convicted Felons to various locations. When we transport, we are many times armed.

The majority of Corrections Agencies have officers who are trained (we in Iowa are trained to the same standards as "real" Law Enforcement officers when dealing with weapons and use of force) to carry weapons. While we are in transport, we are held to our use of force policies as well as any policies specifically dealing with weapons.

NOW notice that I originally stated that NORMALLY on one inside the confines of a facility is armed. There are some towers that are actually inside the walls of many institutions---they are armed posts and in many departments are armed with rifles, shotguns and handguns as well as an armory of less lethal munitions as well as riot control chemicles.

There are also posts in some older prisons called gun galleries.................they are gated off areas in living units or work units where armed officers are posted to control unruly or riotous inmates,

Seriously I question the fact that you are already interviewing for a Correctional Officer position and are not familiar with the job duties. This is disturbing.

BOP staff are considered Federal Law Enforcement officers and are covered under LEOSA

It's not a matter of being ignorant to the job duties, it's more of trying to gain an understanding of the difference between facilities. I have yet to talk to anyone who works for an FDC in one of the metropolitan cities. (I think there are only a half dozen). I only asked b/c I've seen institutions in the SW where there are perimeter fences and outside patrols. I was curious to see how things work in an office building setting. I'm sorry If I have offended anyone but this is a forum to ask questions, and to receive answers.
                        ATF 1811 SA
                        Applied - 10/13/09

Written Test - 5/11/09
                        NOR (87) - 6/10/09

Written Test - 6/1/09
                        NOR (88.9) - 6/22/09

ICE 1811 SA
                        Written Test - 7/28/09
                        NOR (80.5 ugggh)

Comment

It's not a matter of being ignorant to the job duties, it's more of trying to gain an understanding of the difference between facilities. I have yet to talk to anyone who works for an FDC in one of the metropolitan cities. (I think there are only a half dozen). I only asked b/c I've seen institutions in the SW where there are perimeter fences and outside patrols. I was curious to see how things work in an office building setting. I'm sorry If I have offended anyone but this is a forum to ask questions, and to receive answers.
                          It doesn't matter whether it is an FDC, FPC, USP or ADX instituion. ALL BOP staff are trained as Correctional Officers and as Federal Law Enforcement Officers. They are trained in and do carry firearms at times. They also are prepared to defend their property should the need arise.

No one has been offended. You asked the question and got a wealth of answers. You may ask, but you don't get to dictate how we answer.
                          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The high-rise detention centers do not use firearms within the confines of the institution, but you would use weapons during the transport of inmates. In addition, just because you begin your career there does not mean you will always reside at that institution. Assuming you make a career of the BOP, you are almost certain to move...unless, of course, you are happy remaining as a GS-7 Officer. If you end up at any of the other BOP facilities which are not high-rises, you may end up carrying a weapon while on mobile patrol, tower duty, transport of inmates, or during your off-duty hours. You are less protected, legally speaking, if you use your firearm in an off-duty shooting and are not properly qualified with that weapon.
                            If you are my supervisor and reading this...I'm calling off sick tomorrow.

All posts made under this username are solely the opinion of the author (ME) and do not represent the opinion of my employer or any Federal, State, or local government agency and/or municipality. So get a grip and put on your big girl panties...'cuz if you suck at your job, I will probably tell you so.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
                              They also have some fairly large expansive facilities in the mid-west, with lots of ground outside the walls, places like super max and the like.

kind of like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADX_Florence
                              The complex in Florence you mention has more towers that I have EVER seen in my life! I golf on a course that is right next to the compound and the number of towers blows me away.

Also the external security who patrols the perimeter outside the fence will carry weapons.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5230 users online. 294 members and 4936 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X