300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Cuts----------AGAIN

Iowa Governor Culver announced a few minutes ago that he is instituting an 10% across the board budget cut. In his own words , he is expecting "100's of layoffs"

In his speach, he specifically used the Department of Corrections as an example of having to send him $40 million dollars of projected cuts, and then he will either approve or disapprove that plan. All prior cuts have exempted public safety----this one does not.

Translates to about $3 million at our facility.----Staff alone that is roughly 46 people (at Correctional Officer paygrade) My facility is already 20 officers down that we have not replaced, so we ONLY HAVE TO CUT 26 MORE.

I have NO idea how that will be possible and still be able to staff the facility.

The fun begins
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

I'd also be willing to bet that none of your elected officials or the Governor has offered to take a pay cut......right? It's the same everywhere.......cut the people who pay the bulk of the taxes....the working man. Our marvelous shining light of a Governor has announced another 500 Million in cuts also. I'm just waiting to see how long it is before he sets his sights on Corrections......again..........

Comment

Actually during the last cut---------------it was a 1.5% one, the governor DID give back an equivalent amount (he can't cut his own salary........something about the law). "The elected officials..................not so much.

Our Gov isn't a bad guy-----------------but of course he has a job to do and he IS a politician...................nuff said.

Thank god I only have a few months left

Comment

New Officers starting out are in for a **** storm across the country with these cuts.
        sigpic

Comment

Maybe you should let 1 escape everyday. Blame budget cuts, and make sure the news know exactly who to blame.

Just kidding of course!

Comment

Iowa newbby

I am a cherry in the Iowa Dept of Corrections. I have a whole 3 weeks experience now. Talk about a feces storm, I smell one coming. If the Gov cuts staffing in DOC, I will be one of the first to go. I hope he is able to find the cuts beside staff. I'm in the academy right now and the director told the class we could do 8% without staff cuts. He did not say anything about a 10% though. So I guess it's time to kick the sweat pumps to high and lay low. The by-product is about to hit the rotational ventilation device, with a guaranteed unequal distribution result.

Comment

I am a little worse off then Stormtruck...I am on the list to be hired and was actually just waiting for my start date....guess I will be waiting a little longer then I thought......

Comment

Originally posted by Willard_DTC View Post
                I'd also be willing to bet that none of your elected officials or the Governor has offered to take a pay cut......right? It's the same everywhere.......cut the people who pay the bulk of the taxes....the working man. Our marvelous shining light of a Governor has announced another 500 Million in cuts also. I'm just waiting to see how long it is before he sets his sights on Corrections......again..........
                http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/64287757.html

Culver Trims Pay 10 Percent, Matching Budget Cut
                By Becky Ogann

Story Created: Oct 14, 2009 at 4:04 PM CDT

Story Updated: Oct 14, 2009 at 4:04 PM CDT
                DES MOINES (AP) - Days after he ordered state spending slashed by 10 percent across-the-board, Gov. Chet Culver says he will take the same 10 percent cut in his salary as governor.

Culver announced Wednesday that he will lead by example by reducing his $130,000 salary by 10 percent, and he urged state agency heads to do the same. He didn't extend that call to other statewide elected officials.

The move followed Culver's decision last week to cut $565 million from this year's state budget due to falling tax revenues. State agency heads have until Tuesday to submit their plans for meeting that reduction, but significant layoffs are expected in many departments.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2695 users online. 141 members and 2554 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X