300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contacted by Iowa DOC

I am returning to this forum after a long absence. I worked county corrections for a year and then left for personal reasons. After much soul searching I realized my heart is in this profession. I applied and tested for Iowa DOC just under a year ago. I was just contacted last week and told I will be offered a position within the next few weeks! I think I am more excited the second time around.

Originally posted by IowaGuy View Post
    After much soul searching I realized my heart is in this profession.
    Paraphrased: I needed a job that paid a decent wage and had good benefits.
    The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Comment

Originally posted by BSOdeputy View Post
      Paraphrased: I needed a job that paid a decent wage and had good benefits.
      That is kind of a cheap shot..................

I know many people that have left "public service" jobs for better pay/better work conditions such as hours and not working shift work..............who have returned because they find out they really like the job. ..........................The OP had been trying to get on with the DOC while he was still working as a DO for the county, we just were not hiring due to budget problems.

As a side note, I am familar with the County jail where he used to work.( I don't' know the OP other than thu PM's) And I know several people who used to work there........................and left for "personal reasons".

I can pretty much state with at least some confidence that it is a euphemism for "shoddy supervision/ management." At least for that particular department.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Wow, not sure what I did to warrant the cheap shot, however I am actually taking a very significant pay cut and leaving a recent promotion from a good company to go back to public service......so much for assuming, huh? Some of us actually enjoy public service. I have six years in combined with both county and the federal government. It took being away for me to realize how much I do enjoy the work.

As for Iowa #1603 and his post. You are skilled at "reading between the lines"!

Comment

Is it true that IOWA does not let their CO's have any law enforcement status, nor can they carry firearms off duty on their shield?

I find that remarkably ODD.

If true, are there any changes coming?
          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Law enforcement/corrections is a different animal than on the coasts. I cant think of any upper midwest state (MN,IA,ND,SD,WI) that gives Correctional Officers law enforcement status/powers.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
              Is it true that IOWA does not let their CO's have any law enforcement status, nor can they carry firearms off duty on their shield?

I find that remarkably ODD.

If true, are there any changes coming?
              No changes forthcoming-----------Like Branis stated this is the upper Midwest, and that is the way it is. The state will NOT train our CO's to LEO standards, nor do we hire at LEO standards.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Hey gents,
                I tested for the Iowa DOC lastweek and still haven't received my results. I know... I'm anxious. How long should I expect to wait?

Any info would be much appreciated!
                Thanks guys

Comment

There was a HUGE backlog of applicants since most institutions have not hired for close to 2 yrs.

We have pretty much whittled that backlog down are are working on new people.

It normally takes about a week to tabulate the testing results and get you on a list.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3122 users online. 177 members and 2945 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X