Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy here... current Army guy, about to be disabled veteran.. Q's on being CO

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here... current Army guy, about to be disabled veteran.. Q's on being CO

Hey all.. been looking over the forum the past few days and this seems like the best one with the most activity.

So here is my situation. I've been in the Army, but in the next few months will be enduring a disability discharge. I'll be moving back to home-sweet-home Buffalo New York.

Here is my plans. I'm going to move home, and work for my dad for a while. While working for him, I'm going to be applying to local PD's and to NYS Corrections. My ultimate goal is to be a state trooper, but we all know what the odds of people getting that are.

1. So I'm just wondering how well taken are disabled military in the CO world (or LEO world in general)?

2. How hard would it be to go troopers after working in Corrections

3. I know being disabled earns me brownie points on the NYS civil service exam, but how about with corrections?

4. How hard will it be for me to get into corrections, and how long will it take?

5. Where will I most likely get stationed?

Thanks for any help I can get guys, it means a lot

-Me

You'd be waiting for a while to get into Corrections . Points would help you on test , higher test score is the first tie-breaker in seniority . If you got in and finished academy , you would go back East - Sing-Sing , Greenhaven , Fishkill ,Hudson Valley area .
    I drink , I drive fast cars , and I fondle women . But I am my own boss , and do have weekends off !

Comment

Whats your Disability going to be and how do you know if you will be a Disabled Vet if you have not gotten out of the Military? Only the VA can rate you and that takes time after you get out.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by naze69 View Post
        You'd be waiting for a while to get into Corrections . Points would help you on test , higher test score is the first tie-breaker in seniority . If you got in and finished academy , you would go back East - Sing-Sing , Greenhaven , Fishkill ,Hudson Valley area .
        Whats your idea of a while? A few months? Years? I'm not worried about the academy; I know if I at least make it into the academy they I consider the job mine. But I'm going to take practice tests etc so hopefully I'll do ok.

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
        Whats your Disability going to be and how do you know if you will be a Disabled Vet if you have not gotten out of the Military? Only the VA can rate you and that takes time after you get out.
        Usually you know your disabled long before your getting out My meb is almost finished. Just waiting on final physical.

Comment

That does not mean you are a disabled vet. All that says is you are getting a Medical Discharge, hopefully Honorable. You are not a Disabled Vet until you go through the VA and even then they still may not give you a service connected, even though you got a Medical Discharge.

Getting into LE can take 6 months -2 yrs. And even though you are in the Academy does not mean the job is yours. And then to get hired, depending on what your "medical discharge" is as well and whether the dept/agency will hire you with your "disability".
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

hey brother i may be able to shed some light i am disabled vet, got out in 2000.. you can use your vet points on the exam which is 5 pts or save it and use them down the road for the sgts exam in which case you get 2.5..
            Right now the hiring is on hold for a while, but it will pick up again, so i would not plan on jumping right in have a backup plan...
            If you do eventually get in you will be put downstate somewhere, depends on which facility needs bodies, but you will be 5 hrs away from home.. it took me 3 years to get back to buffalo... yup im a local too..lol.... i am actually blowing off the city of rochester pd right now, i am supposed to go for my pt test tommaorow but i have decided to stick with corrections.. pm me if you got any questions brother.. and be prepared for hell at the va office... it sucks i got 10% could have got more but after waiting for 4 hours to be seen i left to never go back... the $ was only gonna be 100 bucks more probably and i hateeee to wait... call me stupid but still dont regret it lol 4 hours is like 4 years there...... i just told them i will take the 10% not to worry about my knee its fine... good luck to you brother....

Comment

That does not mean you are a disabled vet. All that says is you are getting a Medical Discharge, hopefully Honorable. You are not a Disabled Vet until you go through the VA and even then they still may not give you a service connected, even though you got a Medical Discharge.

Getting into LE can take 6 months -2 yrs. And even though you are in the Academy does not mean the job is yours. And then to get hired, depending on what your "medical discharge" is as well and whether the dept/agency will hire you with your "disability".
              Come on guy.. dont undermine my intelligence. I'm being separated for a service related accident which will more than likely result in permanent retirement. It's not up to the VA whether or not it's service related, the Army decides that. Which it's already been noted it is. This isn't the topic for debate.

But 6-mos to a year??? Thats out of hand. I thought NY was hurting for corrections and LEO in general? How does the Agency decide as to whether or not they will hire me due to my injuries?

Originally posted by armyman12b View Post
              hey brother i may be able to shed some light i am disabled vet, got out in 2000.. you can use your vet points on the exam which is 5 pts or save it and use them down the road for the sgts exam in which case you get 2.5..
              Right now the hiring is on hold for a while, but it will pick up again, so i would not plan on jumping right in have a backup plan...
              If you do eventually get in you will be put downstate somewhere, depends on which facility needs bodies, but you will be 5 hrs away from home.. it took me 3 years to get back to buffalo... yup im a local too..lol.... i am actually blowing off the city of rochester pd right now, i am supposed to go for my pt test tommaorow but i have decided to stick with corrections.. pm me if you got any questions brother.. and be prepared for hell at the va office... it sucks i got 10% could have got more but after waiting for 4 hours to be seen i left to never go back... the $ was only gonna be 100 bucks more probably and i hateeee to wait... call me stupid but still dont regret it lol 4 hours is like 4 years there...... i just told them i will take the 10% not to worry about my knee its fine... good luck to you brother....
              Like I said above, I thought NYS was hurting to for LEO's? So why is it going to take a long time? I def. have a backup plan, and it's going to work, I just dont want to have to use it lol (it involves being away from home a lot, like the Army.. but the pay will def. get us by_).
              Thanks for the input and advice though. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the VA, but it's something thats gotta be done I guess.

I'd really like to be close to buffalo though when I get into corrections. That will probably take a few years to transfer eh?

Comment

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
                Come on guy.. dont undermine my intelligence. I'm being separated for a service related accident which will more than likely result in permanent retirement. It's not up to the VA whether or not it's service related, the Army decides that. Which it's already been noted it is. This isn't the topic for debate.IT is up the the VA, which is why you have to go through the VA. I know from experience! You can have a injuries and documentation out the ying yang and the VA will still deny you. I am just for warning you. The Army is just getting you out and if you take a lump sum, and go to the VA, you will have to pay all of it back.

But 6-mos to a year??? Thats out of hand. I thought NY was hurting for corrections and LEO in general? How does the Agency decide as to whether or not they will hire me due to my injuries? You have so much to learn and I not insulting your intelligence! For one, read the threads on here, it does take at least 6 months to get hired at most agencies and NY state police only test every so often, so you are looking at a couple of yrs. Same goes for the Feds. How will an agency decide? When they have you do a pyhsical with a doctor or when they interview about your "disability" that you don't have yet from the VA. No point in hiring someone if you can't meet the physical requirements. And for one, if you are "permanently disabled, you can't work. The VA will explain that all to you.
                ?

Comment

It's not up to the VA. The VA backs the soldiers more than the Army themselves do. I understand that if I get less than 30% and I get a lump sum and if the VA ups my percentage than I have to pay it back. Thats poopy but if you play your cards right, everything works out to your advantage.

I'm not really asking anything state trooper related, i'm asking about corrections. I was merely stating that troopers was my ultimate goal.

Comment

It's not up to the VA. The VA backs the soldiers more than the Army themselves do. I understand that if I get less than 30% and I get a lump sum and if the VA ups my percentage than I have to pay it back. Thats poopy but if you play your cards right, everything works out to your advantage.

I'm not really asking anything state trooper related, i'm asking about corrections. I was merely stating that troopers was my ultimate goal.
                    You really don't get it. It is up to the VA, hence why you have to go through them. If you do take the lump sum and go to the VA ,no matter your %, you have to pay it back. I would know I am in the system!

The VA won't "up" your percentage. They may just give you 10% or nothing. And you are not a "disabled vet" until the VA says so and you are at a certain percentage. If you get 10% from the VA, that does not mean you are "disabled vet". Be careful with your choice of wording.

Again, getting into LE takes months.
                    Last edited by irishlad2nv; 08-06-2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Ok guy I have no idea what I'm talking about, I haven't spent the past 12-13 months studying this, and I have no buddies that have ever been medically separated. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Comment

It'd be most likely in the years range , as they have just started canvassing people from 07 tests to see if still interested .
                        I drink , I drive fast cars , and I fondle women . But I am my own boss , and do have weekends off !

Comment

Ok guy I have no idea what I'm talking about, I haven't spent the past 12-13 months studying this, and I have no buddies that have ever been medically separated. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

At least you have realized that you in fact don't know what you are talking about. Identifing the problem is the first step towards fixing it. Why come here, ask questions and then argue about the answer. Have you ever dealt with the VA? If not, you do not have an informed opinion, regardless of how much "studying" you have done. Come back in about 5 years, when they may have your case finished and let me know how it went. Generation "why" is starting to wear me out.
                          Last edited by bowers72; 08-07-2009, 06:44 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Agree 110% times 2!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowers72 View Post
                              At least you have realized that you in fact don't know what you are talking about.
                              I think I detected scarcasm in his posting...........................
                              I still don't think he got it............................

Identifing the problem is the first step towards fixing it. Why come here, ask questions and then argue about the answer. Have you ever dealt with the VA? If not, you do not have an informed opinion, regardless of how much "studying" you have done. Come back in about 5 years, when they may have your case finished and let me know how it went.
                              I'll just agree with you here.

Generation "why" is starting to wear me out.
                              I prefer either Generation ME, or Generation WHINE

Agree 110% times 2!!!
                              Count me in with a x3
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5215 users online. 332 members and 4883 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X