300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna get out of Washington

My wife and I are thinking about moving from Washington State over to Florida or Colorado. I worked for the Washington State DOC as a Corrections Officer for almost 7 years. I have done Minimum, Medium, and Maximum units as well as our Emergency Response Team. Would I need to go to the Academy? What is the pay range a veteran CO would expect? What Union covers FDOC and CDOC? Is there a high level of staff assaults or any stab vest requirement like California? What kind of retirement do you have? How are the benefits? Any other advice would be helpful.

Colorado DOC

I can answer some of the questions for Colorado.
    The starting pay for a CO I in Colorado is $3273 a month plus a shift differential if you are evenings or graveyard. I have talked to some people who were shift commanders for the state and they said they made over 60k a year when you added shift differential. Don't believe there is a union at this time but I have heard that may be changing in the future.

Keep an eye out for the next round of testing. The state is currently on a hiring freeze. The new fiscal year will be starting soon and there is a new 900+ bed max facility under construction right now so their will be some opportunities coming up.

http://www.doc.state.co.us/index.html
    "If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one...."
    -- James Madison

Comment

Don't know about DOC, but things look grim for CSP. Hiring freeze, talk about furloughs.........Gotta job now keep it and wait until at least July When the new Fiscal year starts.
      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Know anything about the Colorado Springs city jail or El Paso County jails? All I can find is the Police Officer recruitment's. I would love to move back to Colorado Springs.

Comment

What about Nevada DOC, anyone know anything about them? I hear they are commissioned.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
            Know anything about the Colorado Springs city jail or El Paso County jails? All I can find is the Police Officer recruitment's. I would love to move back to Colorado Springs.

not sure if you mean El Paso Texas, but here is the website for the county..not sure if it helps either but its a start...

https://www.epcounty.com/jobs/default.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by r1967a View Post
              not sure if you mean El Paso Texas, but here is the website for the county..not sure if it helps either but its a start...

https://www.epcounty.com/jobs/default.aspx
              Thanks, but I meant El Paso County, Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                The El Paso County Sheriff's office has been suffering due to budget problems lately (who isn't these days). You can keep an eye out on their site for openings for Sheriff's deputy's. They all have to start by working at the county jail.

http://shr.elpasoco.com/
                "If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one...."
                -- James Madison

Comment

hey r1967a are you talking about NYCDOC started June 8th?

Comment

kjb,

if u don't mind me asking what prison do you work for?

i am looking to get a job with WA DOC and am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahawks398 View Post
                      kjb,

if u don't mind me asking what prison do you work for?

i am looking to get a job with WA DOC and am curious.
                      WaDOC is pretty much in a hiring freeze right now with the exception of a few institutions. No word on when they will lift the freeze. I know we had academies scheduled for June and July and they've been cancelled due to lack of funding.

The benefit of a hiring freeze though, less staff means more overtime opportunities.

My advice for you is to apply to county agencies. I know King County Dept of Adult and Juvenile Detention is hiring. Several of my co-workers have made the move over. The pay is much better.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5980 users online. 376 members and 5604 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X