300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

Hey guys just wondering the overtime rates for corrections officers? Also how much overtime you can work, and how much you can earn a year in california including overtime?

Originally posted by af7ermath View Post
    Hey guys just wondering the overtime rates for corrections officers? Also how much overtime you can work, and how much you can earn a year in california including overtime?
    The answer to your question is-----------------------it depends.

It depends on the budget, the number of people calling in sick, on vacation, the number of open jobs at your facility and quite frankly how much you want to work.

What happened last week might not happen this week or next week as far as how many OT shifts are needed each day.

I always caution people not to live off of OT pay. You can use OT pay to have the toys, but never count on it as a staple. It could be gone tomorrow.

Last year I had at least 5 officers on my shift make over $70,000 on a base pay of $49,000. This year----------------I'll bet almost no one makes over $60 because of the budget cuts (and the 2 posts on my shift that we are no longer manning due to the cuts)

I have heard of CDCR officers making $150,000 at fire camps. (But they can't have a life outside of work)
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The rate is probably time and 1/2 like it is for everywhere else (unless you are lucky and get stuck on a holiday). My department will do everything possible to avoid paying over time, usually giving an extra day off.

Comment

I made about $17,000, base about $60,000, in OT last year, usually I make around $25,000 but I got transferred to a M-F job. There are some that make well over $100,000 a year. OT has slowed to a trickle as we are just 8 spots from being fully staffed.

Comment

Mine depends on budget. If we are out of money comp time, or shift adjustment, but its generally time and a half

Comment

our rates also go from 20,000 to 33,000. Small town = lower budgets

Comment

here in NC OT non existent get comp time instead
              if the lights go on someone is paying the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by priorarmymp View Post

Same here in CO! They make you sign a form saying you agree to this policy.

Comment

My base is 59,840. With my OT, I made almost 71,000.
                  And I was out sick for almost three months.
                  Doing Life On The Installment Plan.

Comment

I am a Correctional Sergeant, with the California Department of Corrections and 'Rehabilitation' and made $90,000 last year, with a total of 12 overtime shifts for the whole year.

In California you make time and a half for overtimes worked! A topped out Officer (7 years) makes a base salary of $72,000.

However, you can minus 10% of the above figures due to Arnold, Cali's AWESOME Governor.

Comment

it varies from institution to institution here in VT. my old jail (small regional), no OT at all, had to fight for it. my new prison (large central facility) TONS of OT, i'm averaging about 23-30 hours a paycheck.
                      WE DON'T GET PAID TO LOSE

"Be nice, until it's time NOT to be nice" ~ Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse

Comment

Originally posted by priorarmymp View Post
                        Not exactly, it depends on what facility you're at. Where I work there is no shortage of overtime. And yes it is time and a half. There is no policy that you must get comp time, well, only if you're a Lt. and above they are not elligible for overtime. It is not uncommon for C/Os to make more than their supervisors.
                        Last edited by Blankstare; 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM. Reason: forgetfulness
                        Now get out there and protect and serve

Comment

Wow!!!!! I am amazed how much C/O's in California make. And all you need is a clean record, mentally stable and a High School diploma. However, it looks like things have changed in California because the state has changed it's hiring requirments. You still only need a high school diploma to apply, but as of right now, you will not get hired if that's all you have. The CDCR is only allowing applicants that score 85 and above on the SCW form to take the written test. So if you don't have a College degree, your pretty much out for now. With a base pay of $72,000 and the ability to make $100,000, more college grads are turning towards the CDCR for a career. This is good for the CDCR, because they are getting more educated people to do the job. However, many people's dreams are being taken away. It looks like education is finally being valued again. I am sure once the budget gets better, the department will go back to letting applicants with a score of 70 take the written test.

Comment

Weeelllll....

Originally posted by BakersfieldCO View Post
                            Wow!!!!! I am amazed how much C/O's in California make. And all you need is a clean record, mentally stable and a High School diploma. However, it looks like things have changed in California because the state has changed it's hiring requirments. You still only need a high school diploma to apply, but as of right now, you will not get hired if that's all you have. The CDCR is only allowing applicants that score 85 and above on the SCW form to take the written test. So if you don't have a College degree, your pretty much out for now. With a base pay of $72,000 and the ability to make $100,000, more college grads are turning towards the CDCR for a career. This is good for the CDCR, because they are getting more educated people to do the job. However, many people's dreams are being taken away. It looks like education is finally being valued again. I am sure once the budget gets better, the department will go back to letting applicants with a score of 70 take the written test.

In my experience, and it's just my experience, the "educated" and "over qualified" want little to do with inmates (dorms, blocks) and the trade of corrections. They come in and want a promotion right away and do as much as possible to keep away from inmate related issues. Not all mind you. I've a friend with a masters degree who is a solid officer, but I'll take a guy with a high school diploma who played football over the new educated officer who freezes or hangs back everytime there's trouble.

And in regards to OT, yes it can supplement your salary and it's awesome (it really is), but to make 20K to 40K over your base salary means you are spending a LOT of time inside a prison open to more stress and sickness. I try to work 16 - 24 OT hours a pay period and the money is great (and I could do more as people do) but I've seen a lot of people come in saying they want the OT only to slow up considerably after a few extra shifts as they realize you're SPENDING MORE TIME IN A PRISON. OT in a prison is not like it is for a police officer. You can't go to Starbucks or move about a town/sector. At times you are stuck for 16 hours in the same 5000 square foot block with the same criminals who were annoying 15 hours earlier. There are times when you are on your feet for 10 hours and your knees hurt and you're stressed and then there are other times your back hurts from sitting waaaayy to long and it dawns on you that there are better things you could be doing. Corrections is a weird mind game.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Comment

I am sorry if it sounded like I was saying an educated person would make a better officer. I guess what I was trying to say is the CDCR just made it that much more difficult for the high school grad to get the C/O job. I know a bunch of people who were in the process of being hired and then sent a letter stating the SCW score was not high enough and that they were being terminated from the process and would have to re-apply. I am talking like 20 people, I know, had this happen to them. They were so excited that they were going to get a job being a C/O and making $72,000 to $100,000 a year. These people still know they can become a CO if they go to school, but the majority of them don't have the money or time to get an education. I think it's important to have a college education, but I also know many people can't afford it. Like I said, I hope CDCR lowers the SCW score so others have the same opportunity to get this job. Some of my friends were devastated when they got the letter stating they had been taken off the list and that they would have to re-apply. Once again, I apologize if I sounded like I was saying only the educated deserved the job.

I do believe that Correctional Counselors (CC1's) and Parole Agents (PA1's) should have a College BA/BS degree, and that the degree should be in a specialized field like Psychology, Sociology or Criminology. The CC1 and PA1 position are very difficult to obtain if your trying to apply off of the streets. Plus, if your coming off of the streets, you have to have a College BA/BS degree, plus experience. However, if you already work for the CDCR, all you need is experience and no degree. I heard that the CDCR wants to change the qualifications for already employed staff to also have a degree to obtain these positions. That's why I am going to school right now to get my BA degree in Criminal Justice. I think the CDCR is going to change it's requirements and qualiications for certain jobs. They have already done this to the C/O position, so I am sure it will happen to the other positions too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4853 users online. 301 members and 4552 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X