Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like working in corrections?

Seems like an dumb question, but really, what's it like? I've been investing a lot to become a correctional officer, but I don't personally know anyone in it and don't really know what I'm getting into. I'm trying to make a big life decision whether or not to stick with my application. Waiting for CDCR to get it together is hurting me. Is it worth it?

First of all start by reading the postings in this forum....................

There is a lot of information here and reading it will give you some insight into the true merits of the profession.

Today is a real bad time to be trying to get into Corrections or LE because of the economy and the fact that many departments are downsizing...........HOWEVER there will always be openings..................inmates are never going away so the job security is really one of the best in the world.

If you truly want to work in Corrections..........................let me say that after 32 yrs I think I can tell people that the profession has generally been very good to me. It has allowed me to buy a house an 6 acres of land, SEVERAL cars over the years...................and have a pretty good life.

I know the process in California is long and drawn out.................but the pay and job security is worth the wait if that is what you want to do with your life.

Good luck
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

I like to think of myself as a professional babysitter that has a badge and attitude!! Seriously, watch Inside Jail on tv. Its real I know b/c they taped here not too long ago. Our job is the same as a street cop except we are in jail.

Comment

Originally posted by code11TCDO View Post
        I like to think of myself as a professional babysitter that has a badge and attitude!! Seriously, watch Inside Jail on tv. Its real I know b/c they taped here not too long ago. Our job is the same as a street cop except we are in jail.
        Talk to a teacher that teaches special education or students with behavorial problems.
        REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!" sigpic

Comment

It's more fun than i thought it would be.
          War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

Originally posted by code11TCDO View Post
            This pretty much sums it up! I love watching that show with family, I constantly hear them saying, "people say that! people do that!" I honestly like it MORE then I thought I would, add in to that that i work with an awsome group of people that I know have my back.

Comment

This job is not for everyone...You must learn to be consistant all the time. You have to learn how to hold your ground. You can't tell one Inmate to do something and then turn around and let another get away with the same thing. Believe me they will test you. They will watch your every move. Stick to your guns....Follow the rules...Always be honest and watch your brother's back no matter what...Just a glimpse into the life of a good C.O.
              " Your best??? Losers always wine about their best while the winner goes home with the Prom Queen..."

Comment

It is imperative, that you understand you will be working around those who cannot function in society, there will also be inamtes there, so BE CAREFUL!
                Now get out there and protect and serve

Comment

i worked as a detention officer for 3 1/2 years. It was easy money. low stress and alot of down time. Regardless of what CO's or DO's will tell you you dont have to be billy bad A when going in. Very few real officer/inmate fights. Its a good decent paying, secure job. Coolest guys i ever meet where DO's. Also, its not like being a cop. I thought so until i became one.

Comment

Cops-n-Creeps behind bars .
                    I drink , I drive fast cars , and I fondle women . But I am my own boss , and do have weekends off !

Comment

Originally posted by AzLaw_E View Post
                      Regardless of what CO's or DO's will tell you you dont have to be billy bad A when going in.
                      Very few of us on this forum tell people that we area billy bad A.
                      Firm Fair Consistent is the mantra for Corrections

Very few real officer/inmate fights. (snip) It was easy money. low stress and alot of down time.
                      Depends on your institution/facility. Try working in a BOP USP.........or several State Penitentiaries

Its a good decent paying, secure job.
                      True

Also, its not like being a cop. I thought so until i became one.
                      I have been both---------------There are similarities. Institution CO's are the cops for the institution. BUT they are not Police Officers.

Prison CO's, County CO's/Deputies/Detention officers, Private CO's, City CO's all have similar jobs----------but not necessarily have the same jobs . It really depends on where you are as to what you do.

The OP is talking about waiting for the CDCR---------so he/she is looking at working for a State DOC (California to be exact).
                      Jail CO's/Detention officers have a completely different job description than I have as a State Prison CO............................Inside Jail has almost nothing to do with what I do.............try MSNBC's Lockup series for what happens in a prison.
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Worst job I have ever had. Depending on what you want to do in corrections I would totally reccommend working in a prison or for a larger correctional facility. I worked for a college town Sheriff's Department that held around 220inmates in the facility. We worked 12 hour shifts and it was the most depressing job I've ever had. Go to work at 6am...pitch black outside, get out of work to go home 6pm......pitch black outside. Dealing with idiots all day, passing meds out, hearing about road patrol complaining about corrections and listening to corrections complain about road patrol. It was just not for me. You have your ups and downs with every job but honestly, I would go back to delivering pizza's before I would ever go back to work in corrections!
                        "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                        -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

I agree w/ what your saying Iowa #1603...some love it, some hate it

With the billy bad A comment, one of the number 1 questions i get for being a DO/CO is "Did you get in alot of fights?" No way, and thats state and county. I left because A. wanted to be a cop and B. tired of calling all the other fat, lazy, slobbish DO's my co-workers. Not all DO's/CO's are fat...just most of them.

Comment

On a more serious note, I love being a C/O. Once you establish yourself in the system, the inmates know what to expect of you and will act accordingly. Occasionally, there will be a newer inmate who will try you because he doesn't know better, so you'll have to flex a little bit. All in all, it's a very good and exciting career.

Originally posted by: Az Law_E
                            I left because A. wanted to be a cop and B. tired of calling all the other fat, lazy, slobbish DO's my co-workers. Not all DO's/CO's are fat...just most of them.
                            While it is true there are some large men/women that work in corrections, I think it is inaccurate to say "most of them" are fat. I came into corrections out of the military and still maintain my fitness standard, and many of my coworkers are in the same boat.

My main concern is professionalism. If an officer I am working with behaves in a professional manner in his/her dealings with inmates, I could care less if they could stand to lose a few pounds.

Ultimately, you get of it what you put into it. Do I like every co-worker? No, but in the end when we walk through the gates it's "us vs them" I do not look down on anyone who will put on the uniform and "do the job" the way it's supposed to be done.

To the OP: I would say go for it. You will gain tons of experience in dealing with people. People who by the way do not necessarily like you and some who hate you.
                            This job is mostly about verbal skills, I would say 90% however, when the time comes, you must be prepared to get physical to achieve your "Correctional objective"

If you decided in the future that you would rather be a policeman, I would bet your Corrections experience certainly would come in handy.
                            Now get out there and protect and serve

Comment

It depends on how you make it to be. If you go in, do your job to the best of your abilities, remain fair, firm and consistent, you'll do fine.
                              I've got almost 27 years in. I've worked in Max Joints, Shock Camps, everything but a Medium. Now, I've got a Perimeter Patrol Post on Days that I love. But you've got to get time on the job before you can even think about something like that. I've been cut by a convict (almost 25 years ago) and I survived it. Some guys can do an entire career and not get hurt while others aren't as lucky. Always be aware of your surroundings and keep alert.
                              When I started, the pay was $12,920. Now, I make just shy of $60,000. Benefits were a lot better when I started, they've gone steadily downhill.
                              Doing Life On The Installment Plan.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11918 users online. 501 members and 11417 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X