Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCKoutWurGLKout
    replied
    We have locker rooms, but I'd rather change at home. Of course, the part of the country I live in is not bad enough to where you're likely to just randomly be shot on the street for having the uniform on. I could understand elsewhere. Plus, I stand out in a crowd of white faces... needless to say, they will remember me one way or another...

Leave a comment:

• TexasAggieOfc
    replied
    I can see, agree, and respect that point. Whatever you have to do to stay safe then.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Graydog View Post
    To Stewie:

NOT a good idea. For your own safety, you might consider a differant method.

I had occasion to see a parolee gasing his car next to me once, and he recognized me from work. I was in civies. They still know who you are.
    Graydog,
    Retired CDC
    Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
    What is with the paranoia with CDCR? I used to have a parolee (that had been in one of my housing units) that lived next door to me. I regularly see those that I have watched over, and put in jail out in the community... And, at least here, if they wanted to know where you lived, they could find out real quick. Public databases list DLs and LPs, as well as voter registration information.

If you look at the responses in this thread and in other threads that have been in the General Law Enforcement area-------------the West coast/California officers are violently against showing that they are officers when off duty! East Coast/NY officers are only a bit less worried about it.

It goes with the territory guys/gals. On both coasts LEO's are targeted by the thugs on a daily basis. If you read the news I can understand their worry. From what I have read on the forum----many departments have rules about cover shirts or changing at the job.

TexasAggie----its not paranoia----for them its survival.
    We here in the midwest, for the most part, have not seen officers targeted when off duty. Not so in other areas of the country.

Personally I can feel confident wearing my uniform anywhere in Iowa(we are not armed either)----I don't do it but for the most part I wouldn;t worry-----but actually I have been in the hood in DesMoines, Cedar Rapids & Davenport and been recognised by thugs when I am in civies.-------

The midwest is a different place than SoCal and NYC/NJ. If things change-----so will our practices. For now--------I doubt there is an agency in the upper midwest that even thinks about the subject

Leave a comment:

• srq screw
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
    What is with the paranoia with CDCR? I used to have a parolee (that had been in one of my housing units) that lived next door to me. I regularly see those that I have watched over, and put in jail out in the community... And, at least here, if they wanted to know where you lived, they could find out real quick. Public databases list DLs and LPs, as well as voter registration information.
    exactly. if they wanna find you bad enough, they are gonna find you - no sense in worrying too much. that being said, i carry everywhere.

i get dressed at home.

Leave a comment:

• TexasAggieOfc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Graydog
    replied
    To Stewie:

NOT a good idea. For your own safety, you might consider a differant method.

I had occasion to see a parolee gasing his car next to me once, and he recognized me from work. I was in civies. They still know who you are.

Graydog,
    Retired CDC
    Last edited by Graydog; 09-24-2008, 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Stewie
    replied
    I wear my Uniform to and from work, and sometimes I make stops if I really need something like a pop or gas.

Leave a comment:

• WPD954
    replied
    I got a flat tire in Compton on my way home from work, luckily I wasn't wearing anything that looked like I was a cop, there were crackheads and winno's walking around.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I change at work. Not that I'd mind changing at home but I have black uniforms and a yellow lab that sheds alot.

Hobbsie

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    double post
    Last edited by hobbsie711; 09-22-2008, 09:13 PM. Reason: double post

Leave a comment:

• Graydog
    replied
    " Ditto " to Sgt. 809. CDC never did enforce the cover or change at work rule as alot of other agencies do. My brothers county agency makes it manditory that you either wear a cover or change at work. They are written up if caught otherwise.
    We had no room like the Sgt. says. I always wore a cover to and from, even when I got off late at night, or went in real early. Just a good practice for your own safety.

Graydog,
    Retired CDC

Leave a comment:

• Hack4NYS
    replied
    I dress fully at home. Jump in my heavily tinted truck and drive straight to work. I do not stop, I do not pass GO, I do not collect $200. My uniform is only visible in the parking lot of the jail, and my driveway at home. (God forbid I stop for a coke and see an old porter from Downstate or something.)

Leave a comment:

• Groove
    replied
    I used to change at home but then started doing other activities and it was more convenient to change at work but now the activities have slowed down due to school. So i do a half and half. I put on the pants and boots on at home and the shirt once i get to work.
    Last edited by Groove; 09-22-2008, 02:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• co1669
    replied
    I wear my civilians to and from work.NYCDOC uniforms look identical to NYPD uniforms except for the patch and people dont stop to read the patch.

Leave a comment:

• R12GOMEZ
    replied
    I wear my uniform to work, but when i have to stop somewhere I change at work I like keeping a low profile too many people ask questions about the prison.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6228 users online. 351 members and 5877 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X