Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a flat tire in Compton on my way home from work, luckily I wasn't wearing anything that looked like I was a cop, there were crackheads and winno's walking around.

Comment

I wear my Uniform to and from work, and sometimes I make stops if I really need something like a pop or gas.

Comment

To Stewie:

NOT a good idea. For your own safety, you might consider a differant method.

I had occasion to see a parolee gasing his car next to me once, and he recognized me from work. I was in civies. They still know who you are.

Graydog,
        Retired CDC
        Last edited by Graydog; 09-24-2008, 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
        With Strength and Power We Will Prevail......

Comment

What is with the paranoia with CDCR? I used to have a parolee (that had been in one of my housing units) that lived next door to me. I regularly see those that I have watched over, and put in jail out in the community... And, at least here, if they wanted to know where you lived, they could find out real quick. Public databases list DLs and LPs, as well as voter registration information.
          sigpic
          Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
            What is with the paranoia with CDCR? I used to have a parolee (that had been in one of my housing units) that lived next door to me. I regularly see those that I have watched over, and put in jail out in the community... And, at least here, if they wanted to know where you lived, they could find out real quick. Public databases list DLs and LPs, as well as voter registration information.
            exactly. if they wanna find you bad enough, they are gonna find you - no sense in worrying too much. that being said, i carry everywhere.

i get dressed at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Graydog View Post
              To Stewie:

NOT a good idea. For your own safety, you might consider a differant method.

I had occasion to see a parolee gasing his car next to me once, and he recognized me from work. I was in civies. They still know who you are.
              Graydog,
              Retired CDC

If you look at the responses in this thread and in other threads that have been in the General Law Enforcement area-------------the West coast/California officers are violently against showing that they are officers when off duty! East Coast/NY officers are only a bit less worried about it.

It goes with the territory guys/gals. On both coasts LEO's are targeted by the thugs on a daily basis. If you read the news I can understand their worry. From what I have read on the forum----many departments have rules about cover shirts or changing at the job.

TexasAggie----its not paranoia----for them its survival.
              We here in the midwest, for the most part, have not seen officers targeted when off duty. Not so in other areas of the country.

Personally I can feel confident wearing my uniform anywhere in Iowa(we are not armed either)----I don't do it but for the most part I wouldn;t worry-----but actually I have been in the hood in DesMoines, Cedar Rapids & Davenport and been recognised by thugs when I am in civies.-------

The midwest is a different place than SoCal and NYC/NJ. If things change-----so will our practices. For now--------I doubt there is an agency in the upper midwest that even thinks about the subject
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I can see, agree, and respect that point. Whatever you have to do to stay safe then.
                sigpic
                Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

We have locker rooms, but I'd rather change at home. Of course, the part of the country I live in is not bad enough to where you're likely to just randomly be shot on the street for having the uniform on. I could understand elsewhere. Plus, I stand out in a crowd of white faces... needless to say, they will remember me one way or another...

Comment

I think the criminals here and in texas are a tad different. In Texas, you actually enforce you death penalty, here we dont. So there is little consequency to murder here other than a 20 year sentence, that may be reduced because of some twinky defense.

Things are different out here. The bad guys will smoke you the first chance they get, and you have to do whatever it takes to survive. I relish the thought of living in the midwest where I wouldnt have to worry about this stuff as much.

Comment

I wear my uniform to and from work, but I used to leave the shirt off until I got to work and took it off when I went home. I did that mostly in case of an auto accident regardless of fault, people seem to get "injured" more when they see a government uniform. Now I work 3rd shift and am not as worried about it.

Comment

In this same topic...

What kind of uniform do you wear? Do you wear the BDU's w/ polo or the Police Officer uniform w/ the patch badge?

I just work in the city jail so we wear Blue BDU's w/ grey polo and patch badge and name.
                        Last edited by TexasOutlaw; 09-26-2008, 07:33 AM. Reason: misspelled a word
                        ALways know that your being watched from up above

Comment

Bus Driver uniform.
                          If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

Blue jeans, polo shirt, badge on belt with cuffs and 'off duty' holster
                            sigpic

Comment

Summer time I wear the pants to work (they look like dickies) and no shirt, put the shirt on when I get there. Winter time I dress fully, as I'll be wearing a coat anyway!
                              New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

Comment

I wear my uniform to and from. I try not to stop if at all possible.
                                BRAAAAAAAAAAINS!!!!!! The other white meat.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2901 users online. 154 members and 2747 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X