300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Pretending

I've been rummaging through the posts on this forum for a while and I keep coming across messages from people who don't seem proud to be a Corrections Officer. They like to make claims to the "arrest powers" that they have, or they try to liken themselves to cops on the street as much as they can. They seem to do everything they can to avoid the label of C/O. I am proud of the label because it represents us and only us. However, there seem to be some people that don't want to be part of that team, they like the badge and the patches because it allows them to give off the impression to others that they are street cops, when they are not. If you are a C/O because it's an easy way to play "police" you should find another line of work. There are people that want to APPEAR to be law enforcement officers and there are people that ARE law enforcement officers. I am a C/O and I don't make a claim to be anything else. I am extremely proud of the difficult job that I do, and I would never give anyone a misconception about what I do for a living by trying to liken myself to another profession. I want people to clearly understand the job that I do, and you can't accomplish that by constantly comparing yourself to cops on the street. You know it's weird everyone always trys to compare C/O's to street cops... we have arrest powers like them....we have guns like them...but no one ever trys to compare themselves to firefighters....we learn to put out fires...we have air tanks. If you want to be a street cop...be a street cop....if you're so ashamed that you're a C/O that you need to connect yourself to some other professoin, then quit. Real C/O's are proud of the job they do. They are proud of the service they provide, and they don't NEED to pretend, they don't WANT to pretend that they are anything else.

Originally posted by boduff View Post
    I've been rummaging through the posts on this forum for a while and I keep coming across messages from people who don't seem proud to be a Corrections Officer. They like to make claims to the "arrest powers" that they have, or they try to liken themselves to cops on the street as much as they can. They seem to do everything they can to avoid the label of C/O.

I am proud of the label because it represents us and only us. However, there seem to be some people that don't want to be part of that team, they like the badge and the patches because it allows them to give off the impression to others that they are street cops, when they are not. If you are a C/O because it's an easy way to play "police" you should find another line of work. There are people that want to APPEAR to be law enforcement officers and there are people that ARE law enforcement officers.

I am a C/O and I don't make a claim to be anything else. I am extremely proud of the difficult job that I do, and I would never give anyone a misconception about what I do for a living by trying to liken myself to another profession. I want people to clearly understand the job that I do, and you can't accomplish that by constantly comparing yourself to cops on the street.

You know it's weird everyone always trys to compare C/O's to street cops... we have arrest powers like them....we have guns like them...but no one ever trys to compare themselves to firefighters....we learn to put out fires...we have air tanks.

If you want to be a street cop...be a street cop....if you're so ashamed that you're a C/O that you need to connect yourself to some other professoin, then quit. Real C/O's are proud of the job they do. They are proud of the service they provide, and they don't NEED to pretend, they don't WANT to pretend that they are anything else.
    I hope your don't mind but I edited your post to make it a bit more "readable".
    The paragraph is your friend.

As you may or may not know-----MANY people get into corrections as a stepping stone into mainstream Law Enforcement. We also get a lot of frustrated people who can not become a cop for some reason or other.

I did it ---left and became a deputy sheriff----and ended up coming back to Corrections. I have enjoyed working corrections for many years. It has also allowed me and my family to have a fairly comfortable life.----I still miss being a street cop many times.

But the truth of the matter is it is MUCH faster and easier to get into Corrections than it is getting into LE. Therefore many people who really want to be cops start in Corrections. They have no plans on staying. But while they are here---------they are CO's.

You are going to have wanna be's-----they won't last/stay long. They will always be around tho.

I am proud of the label because it represents us and only us. However, there seem to be some people that don't want to be part of that team, they like the badge and the patches because it allows them to give off the impression to others that they are street cops, when they are not. If you are a C/O because it's an easy way to play "police" you should find another line of work. There are people that want to APPEAR to be law enforcement officers and there are people that ARE law enforcement officers.
    I would like to point out that even the term Correctional Officer has different meanings for different people/systems.

1. You can be a County Correctional Officer which is usually a non-sworn officer sometimes refereed to as a detention officer. You do Correctional Officer Duties in a pre-trial jail setting.

2. You can be a Deputy Sheriff -Correctional Officer. This is a County Corrections job, BUT you are also a sworn Law Enforcement officer doing Correctional Officer Duties in a pre-trial jail setting.

3. You can be a State Correctional Officer in a state that does not confer Law Enforcement officer status to their CO's. But you are doing Correctional Officer duties in post trial sentenced correctional facility/prison.

4. You can be a State Correctional Officer in a state that DOES confer LE officer status----but you are still doing Correctional Officer duties in a post trial sentenced correctional facility/prison.

5. You can be a federal Correctional Officer----in a post sentenced facility with Federal Law Enforcement status

6. You can work at a Private Correctional Facility as a Correctional Officer with NO status.

All of the above job descriptions are Correctional Officers-------but they are NOT equal. They all have different responsiblilies, duties, and functions

Then there is Community Corrections-------but that's another story.

You know it's weird everyone always trys to compare C/O's to street cops... we have arrest powers like them....we have guns like them...but no one ever trys to compare themselves to firefighters....we learn to put out fires...we have air tanks.
    The nexus between CO's and street cops exists but there is really no comparison between CO's & firemen.
    We learn psychology and first aid but we are neither psychologists nor are we paramedics
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've been rummaging through the posts on this forum for a while and I keep coming across messages from people who don't seem proud to be a Corrections Officer. They like to make claims to the "arrest powers" that they have, or they try to liken themselves to cops on the street as much as they can. They seem to do everything they can to avoid the label of C/O. I am proud of the label because it represents us and only us. However, there seem to be some people that don't want to be part of that team, they like the badge and the patches because it allows them to give off the impression to others that they are street cops, when they are not. If you are a C/O because it's an easy way to play "police" you should find another line of work. There are people that want to APPEAR to be law enforcement officers and there are people that ARE law enforcement officers. I am a C/O and I don't make a claim to be anything else. I am extremely proud of the difficult job that I do, and I would never give anyone a misconception about what I do for a living by trying to liken myself to another profession. I want people to clearly understand the job that I do, and you can't accomplish that by constantly comparing yourself to cops on the street. You know it's weird everyone always trys to compare C/O's to street cops... we have arrest powers like them....we have guns like them...but no one ever trys to compare themselves to firefighters....we learn to put out fires...we have air tanks. If you want to be a street cop...be a street cop....if you're so ashamed that you're a C/O that you need to connect yourself to some other professoin, then quit. Real C/O's are proud of the job they do. They are proud of the service they provide, and they don't NEED to pretend, they don't WANT to pretend that they are anything else.
      AMEN! I completely agree with you!
      Shut up or Cuff up

Comment

well put iowa#1603

Comment

Just a little history -I had the opportunity to become a LASD or a CO. I had already passed background on both. I did a lot of research spoke to alot of people, visited some prisons and my final choice was CO. That is the PROUD career I chose and the PROUD job I do. I protect the public by making sure the criminals don't escape and help keep the prison as safe as possible. Im in it for the long haul.

I will back up my fellow CO's and street COPS till the death.

One thing I've learned while working for CDCr there are alot of CO's with alot of impressive background. I am glad they are on my side.
          sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

One more thing to add - Well just a little bragging rights that us CO's in the San Diego area have

We have a yearly Battle of the Badges boxing matches here in the San Diego area where all local law enforcement/firefighters could join. We have claimed the thrown the last couple of years. We (CO's) have represented our profession in the boxing world PROUDLY....

This last Battle of the Badges we had there must of been around 100 CO's there including quite a bit of SGT's & LT's too.
            sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

Cool JROD!
              I want to add one thing too. Its not about being a CO or a street cop; it about being a team. Having done both I can say both are hard jobs, and I have never figured out why there isn't a closer relationship between the two forces. I know not all CO's are in a department where they are sworn, but many are. My car will be the one screeching to a stop to help a brother in need should it ever become necessary, and I know every one of my partners, both on the street and inside the joint would do the same.

Comment

I've also been in both. I have to say that the most respect has to go to the COS, because everybody they deal with on a daily basis is a criminal. (If they are in jail/prison they are criminals)
                "Be safe, have fun, and lock somebody up"

Comment

As an added bonus

We here in Iowa are conducting an experiment that has really been an eye opener------------------and is on going.

On June 12, 2008 the Cedar River flooded in Cedar Rapids, Ia going some 20 ft out of its banks. This flooded much of the downtown of the city of 120,000+. The flooded area included the Sheriffs Dept Offices, The City Police Dept and the County Jail, which holds +/-500 inmates.

When the jail was evacuated----------the inmates were relocated to 3 state prisons in the general area. Now that things have evened out.....my instituition is holding abuot 150 inmates and another institution has about 50 female inmates. This is expected to continue for the next 8-12 months minimum while repairs are being made to the jail.

As it stands today..............deupties from the Linn County Jail are working inside the prison (we were able to empty out one of our living units for them to use) along side our officers. 3-7 deputies per shift are handling the county prisoners----and they are segregated from the state prisoners---while the state staff support them in any way we can.

We are finding out and the deputies are finding out that while our jobs are similar -------------its not the same-----and we do things a whole lot differently. It is however fun, and very interesting to have to operations in the same place-----------------------

The neat thing is-----this is the county that I once worked for as a deputy.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I really don't know what the big deal is. Do guys really care about this?
                    I have been a CO for 21 years and I have never compared myself to a street cop.
                    I have never wanted to be a street cop. I don't think the two jobs compare at all.
                    I know of CO'S who have pulled guys over for speeding, why? What possible good does this do? Street cops are not knocking on the jail door to come in are they?
                    When I am not at work I am Joe Blow citizen. I have been pulled over for speeding and not taken my badge out at all. If I see a crime I call the police like every other normal citizen would.
                    Some of these guys kill me when they think they can go be cops because you are a CO. You know nothing about being a cop. It goes for investigators, private security and all the rest of those jobs that guys think because they are CO's they can do.
                    I know how to work in a jail nothing else. I am not a cop. CO is my profession that is what I do. My whole adult life I have been a CO. guys who are want-a-be cops should just go be one.
                    I think that is really interesting Iowa, I would love to work along side some guys from a different agency to see how they do it. You can possibly learn some new things or on the other hand you can see how not to do things (LOL)
                    i would love to do like some kind of exchange where I could work in a different state just for say a week.
                    Last edited by Tim K; 09-21-2008, 07:24 AM.

Comment

an exchange program for CO's....that would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt809 View Post
                        an exchange program for CO's....that would be interesting.
                        It would be neat.

Last night I had two officers from Wyoming DOC arrive at my place to pick up a thug to transport him back to their house. When they walked up to the main entrance they were both griping about how they wish they had got here earlier so they could take a tour. But they had a 14 hr drive yesterday and had to turn around and go back ......

They work in a fairly new facilitiy------and my place----not so much since construction was started on my place in 1872. We get a lot of requests for tours and my administration will usually say yes to DOC employees ------

I myself try to look up institutions when I go vacationing and if it looks intersting I make arraingments ahead of time to tour!

I think it would be fun to do a week someplace else

Comment

Originally posted by Tim K View Post
                          I really don't know what the big deal is. Do guys really care about this?
                          I have been a CO for 21 years and I have never compared myself to a street cop.
                          I have never wanted to be a street cop. I don't think the two jobs compare at all.
                          I know of CO'S who have pulled guys over for speeding, why? What possible good does this do? Street cops are not knocking on the jail door to come in are they?
                          When I am not at work I am Joe Blow citizen. I have been pulled over for speeding and not taken my badge out at all. If I see a crime I call the police like every other normal citizen would.
                          Some of these guys kill me when they think they can go be cops because you are a CO. You know nothing about being a cop. It goes for investigators, private security and all the rest of those jobs that guys think because they are CO's they can do.
                          I know how to work in a jail nothing else. I am not a cop. CO is my profession that is what I do. My whole adult life I have been a CO. guys who are want-a-be cops should just go be one.
                          Tim K
                          Yea -----a lot of people on the forum AND in corrections think this is a big deal. If it is for them---so be it. Those of us who have decided to make the Big House our PROFESSION could really care less one way or the other. I COULD have gone back into LE at any time and chose for a varitey of reasons not to. BUT the boys/girls in blue and the men/women in tan will always be my brothers/sisters in the struggle against thugs.

I think a lot of problem is that because it is so competitive to get into Law Enforcement-----Corrections is and always has been a backdoor into Police work. Police depts will take a second look at someone who has worked with the thugs the way we do every day over the similar candidate that has no hands on experience. Lord knows you must learn how to talk to people if you are ever going to be successfull working a cell block as a CO.---What better training for a cop.
                          It could be a leg up for a marginal or when a police department has to make a decision between two candidates who are equal in all other respects

I have seen many good CO's go on to be cops..............some made the grade-----some didn't --------and some decided they didn't like it and came back!.................

By the way------------just for the record------------------I have also seen a lot of ex-cops come into corrections and not be able to cut the mustard------and a lot that became very good CO's. But the transition is NOT automatic---everyone has had to work hard to become a passable CO.

We at the prison/jail level have to put up with the wanna be's, the gung ho's, the frustrated wish I could be's, and yea-----the LE washouts. Those are the ones that are most likely to be constantly complaining about "not being respected", about "not given PC", and are usually the ones that make the traffic stops or flash the badges, etc.

They usually don’t last long. Unfortunately sometimes they make the news! That hurts our public relations.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4850 users online. 259 members and 4591 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X