300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice - defense training

I work for the State of Washington in my states worst juvenile facility. The problem is the training we receive to put it bluntly sucks. We are given 1 week of basic takedowns and wrist locks upon hire, and then given a 1 day refersher every year. In most cases when a melee breaks out between rival gang members most staff are stuck using "whatever works" including football tackles, and strength techniques.

We are increasingly having to face multiple fighters, with backup that is increasingly late or ineffective upon arrival.

Can someone here point me to a good martial art I can learn in my off time, where I dont have to sit around learning Eastern mumbo jumbo, and just learn how to keep myself and my coworkers safe? I need to do something to protect myself since its obvious that my employer cares little about my safety on the job.

Any advice is much appreciated

Go in the direction of taking up KRAV MAGA. Very effective techniques, doesn't take years to master, and From what I have heard and seen it stops a fight way before it begins. Do your home work on it, trust you wont be disappointed. Go to Youtube and type it up and check it out. hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by homelandoffic3r View Post
      Go in the direction of taking up KRAV MAGA. Very effective techniques, doesn't take years to master, and From what I have heard and seen it stops a fight way before it begins. Do your home work on it, trust you wont be disappointed. Go to Youtube and type it up and check it out. hope that helps

Thanks your help is much appreciated!!

Comment

I second the Krav Maga. Great system for realistic defense situations. Also, Haganah (not as widely found) is similar to KM.

There are plenty of online sites to check out KM and perhaps find a school nearby your location.

Comment

My opinion:

Krav Maga's main focus is to disable, maim and utterly destroy. Its core curriculum is a military system that involves aggression, physical conditioning and training response for times of fatigue. It also has a main focus on strikes to vital places, both which can easily hurt or kill someone. In a life and death situation such as a battlefield, this is an easy choice. Die or Kill. Secondly, it is an art that is easy to teach to masses (for soldiers) in very little amount of time which makes it effective.. for the Israeli army.

However, there is quite an opposite side. You mention you do not want to partake in Eastern mumbo jumbo but most of what I've seen that is effective is from the East. Not saying all. Anything from Brazilian Jiujitsu which comes from jiujitsu in japan (actually Judo at the time prior to the name change) to even..... Yes, Krav Maga. Krav Maga has roots in Japanese Jujutsu. I have taken Krav Maga myself and have found that at any level lower than black belt, there is a heavy focus on conditioning, running, punching and kicking while exhausted. That may prove useful but it also replaces actual sound learning of effective techniques with a clear head. All the gun defense, the jointlocks, the submissions, the concepts.. are taught higher up. And guess what? Soldiers and officers in Israel not only train in Krav Maga but advance to a higher, more comprehensive system of Jujitsu. For them it is IJJF (Israeli Jujitsu Federation), where you will learn judo throws, locks, breaks, multiple attacker concepts, etc.

I strongly believe in the effective of traditional japanese jujutsu (granted that you find a good instructor and a legit art). I have trained in boxing, tae kwon do, Jeet kune do, the basic of Brazilian JiuJitsu, an avid watcher of the UFC and Pride fighting, but I am sure most of you being police officers have come to realize street encounters are nothing like the ring or organized sport. Frankly because it is not a sport. Krav Maga is great for defense and in a scenario of life and death, you do what is required. But if you are asking to learn a more comprehensive art that allows you to have a choice in maiming or restraining and control of an individual there are many arts out there (not just japanese jujutsu) that will provide that out there.

I personally study HakkoRyu jujutsu which is infamous in the law enforcement community for its effective restraining techniques that give you the option to lock, break, or even brutually maim if necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npycHNuheY
          Traditional Japanese jujutsu - grappling emphasis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SZm3SQHX34
          Same - hard techniques

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=30007181
          Former Israeli Officer - Krav Maga/Israeli Jujitsu Federation
          This Krav Maga is not to be confused with the Krav Maga LA Headquarters run by KravMaga.com as it is extremely waterdown where one can get an instructors certification in 2 weeks. Roy is independent.

Hope this help. All I can do is give you what I know in the hopes that it will protect you.

Comment

I just found a school here in Washington that teaches Krav Maga, and then as you progress incorporates Juijitsu.
            Also what I meant by "Eastern mumbo jumbo" was anything having to do with meditation, or spirituality.
            Thanks to all for the help and suggestions!

Comment

I would recommend a little of everything. I have done boxing, thai boxing, free style fighting, judo, some wrestling and currently doing Krav Maga.

THey are all great arts depending on who is doing them. They also could all get you fired. The conditioning is great and they teach you to be ready when it hits the fan. When you get in incidents at work just use good judgement and dont get caught up doing to much where people start questioning what you are doing.

For example I am currently doing Krav Maga you will not see me poke some i/m's eyes out or punch him in the throat or kick him in the balls UNLESS I felt my life was in danger then you do what you know best .

Common sense goes a long way in this profession. Be Safe and do what ever martial art you like.
              sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

I've been doing some research on Krav Maga, I want to learn!!
                If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

Krav

Me too. Simple and affective. I have actually been watching the instructional videos on U Tube and practicing on my fiance
                  Last edited by NYboldest; 09-17-2008, 09:48 AM. Reason: info

Integrity in a officer means the settled disposition, the resolve and determination,
                  the established habit "of doing right where there is no one to make you do it but yourself".... You are who you are when no one is looking

Comment

Originally posted by NYboldest View Post
                    Me too. Simple and affective. I have actually been watching the instructional videos on U Tube and practicing on my fiance
                    Looks like we both use our same test dummy hehehehehe....

Comment

Originally posted by JRODF4 View Post
                      THey are all great arts depending on who is doing them. They also could all get you fired. The conditioning is great and they teach you to be ready when it hits the fan. When you get in incidents at work just use good judgement and dont get caught up doing to much where people start questioning what you are doing.

For example I am currently doing Krav Maga you will not see me poke some i/m's eyes out or punch him in the throat or kick him in the balls UNLESS I felt my life was in danger then you do what you know best .

Common sense goes a long way in this profession. Be Safe and do what ever martial art you like.

+100!

Be sure you are able to explain in your reports that what you did is still in your use of force and somewhat concurrent with what they taught you in DT. Its kinda hard to explain when you bust out with an impressive move that you learned the day before and gets the inmate hurt and you cant back it up with your SOP on inmate restraint...
                      He teaches my hands to make war,
                      so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
                      Psalms 18:34

Comment

Krav Maga is a great combat system however, it could get you in trouble in today's politically correct world. It's a system designed to destroy the enemy not to restrain the enemy. You might want to look into a Kempo style, which is more grappling, pressure points and joint locks. It's extremely effective and a persons size is really irrelevant.
                        Last edited by NY2NC; 09-26-2008, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I took a really great Kung Fu class. My teacher had taken Wu Shu Kung Fu and made it into a different art of his own that was much more balanced with practicality rather than straight "trained fighter" vs "trained fighter". He made it so that it was pertinent to a street situation. He also combined it with old school Chinese grappling. If you don't live in NC or PA, though, you won't find any of his schools, but if you search for a practitioner in those areas of Kung Fu/Self Defense, you might like it.

*edit* Btw, his style of fighting was definitely meant to destroy/crush/maim joints and disable opponents. He trained to disable the attacker so that you were the only one left standing. */edit*
                          Last edited by RCKoutWurGLKout; 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM. Reason: addition.

Comment

Originally posted by NY2NC View Post
                            Krav Maga is a great combat system however, it could get you in trouble in today's politically correct world. It's a system designed to destroy the enemy not to restrain the enemy. You might want to look into a Kempo style, which is more grappling, pressure points and joint locks. It's extremely effective and a persons size is really irrelevant.

From the videos I have seen Krav Maga also shows you how to dis-arm and temporarily disable an assailant so that you can "safely retreat " if possible. It does not seem to be just a search and destroy defense system.

Integrity in a officer means the settled disposition, the resolve and determination,
                            the established habit "of doing right where there is no one to make you do it but yourself".... You are who you are when no one is looking

Comment

Originally posted by NYboldest View Post
                              From the videos I have seen Krav Maga also shows you how to dis-arm and temporarily disable an assailant so that you can "safely retreat " if possible. It does not seem to be just a search and destroy defense system.
                              +1

That is where common sense come in to place. If I feel my life is in danger and IF I have to by no other choice and don't have time to utilize my state issued weapons (baton/OC) I will do what I have to do (what you know) just to give me enough time to utilize my state issued tools

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5838 users online. 329 members and 5509 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X