300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PS3527 View Post
    I've completed the process, but turned down the Sept 2 academy because the offer was only for Susanville CA (hoping for a Southern CA offer).

1) Do any of you have advice for a future woman co?
    a) advice for the up coming academy ( if correct, click the link below)?
    and/or
    b) advice for working with men or women inmates?

2) For all of those who are waiting for the next academy, I believe this link will help. If you cannot access this link, I've recorded the following dates .

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Employee_Reso..._Schedule.html
    My advice stick to your guns. Start out tough and then you can loosen up. I think being a women in correction is easier than a man. Inmates don't try to prove themselves as much. They see you as a sisterly or motherly figure. You will have your problems with inmates who don't like Female authority.

I perfer to work with male inmates. Women are a needer bunch. They cry to much and grip too much. Men aren't as emotional.

Just be strong and stick to your ways. Be firm and fair and you will be [email protected]!
    Last edited by landrierose; 09-10-2008, 02:44 PM. Reason: messed up
    Don't expect other people to make you happy, Happiness is your responsibility.

Comment

[QUOTE=landrierose;1404233]

I perfer to work with male inmates. Women are a needer bunch. They cry to much and grip too much. Men aren't as emotional.

QUOTE]

I COMPLETELY agree !! I worked both, and prefer the men... for the same reason. I tell the ones who don't like women in authority, they dont have to like me being an authority figure...... but they do have to respect my authority.

Comment

Originally posted by PS3527 View Post
        sgt809 - great article, thanks
        I agree, GREAT article

Comment

Originally posted by Protect-N-Serve View Post
          I call bs JR45. I know plenty of females that I'd gladly fight alongside and do our job with. If a woman can hold her own, then good for her. But this isn't a solo field, we do things with partners. We either survive it together or go down together, there is no middle ground unless people are cowards.
          I have worked with good and bad female staff as well as good and bad male staff---------In about the same numbers over the years. My immediate supervisor is a female.

I started out in a time when women just didn't work inside a male penitentiary. My institution had 2 Female Correctional Officers------
          1 worked towers
          1 worked Master Control
          PERIOD

The officer who worked towers ended up filing suit
          http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/467415

She later became the personnel officer at our facility and ultimately a PR bigwig at one of the fortune 500 companies in the area. Her husband retired as a Capt at our facility.

The other officer never wanted to work anywhere else and retired as a Control Center Officer.

Today 20-30% of our workforce is female. There are two jobs at my facility that are "male only" posts. Only because the main function of one job involves strip searching inmates into/out of an area, and the second job involves sometimes being the sole transportation officer also meaning strip searching.

With those two exceptions--------------all officers do the exact same job & in Iowa that includes conducting shower operations in lock up units.
          Yep we have been sued and basically won the privacy suits ! We had to install "privacy shields" that are from 2' to 4 ' high on the shower door.

Of the females I have worked with that have also worked the female institution----------they would never go back to working with women inmates. Hated it-----transfered out fast. Almost all the MALE staff that transfered out of the female institution agree

Short story
          In 1998 during one of the first code red emergencies that I handled as a supervisor the squad was called to the dinning hall during mainline for a "fight"
          The "fight" turned out to be two lifers attacking and assaulting two of the officers working the meal. The 5'9 285 lbs 48 yr old male officer was knocked unconscious and was at the bottom of a pile of inmates. the 5'6 125 lbs 24 yr old female officer took a shot to the chin-----------then shook it off and took the inmate to the floor.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Look, if this is the career path you want don't let me or anyone else discourage you from it. I made my comments based on my own personal experiences. Maybe I'm a little cynical after what I've seen go on in my Institution. Best of luck to you know mater what.
            Last edited by JR45; 09-10-2008, 10:33 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

First, I am glad you enjoyed my article...second, I am glad Jr45 made the comments he did. JR45 represents some officers who have indeed had bad experiences with female officers, adn you WILL run into this. If you are strong enough to stand up to this, you'll be fine. Most people who dont want woman working in corrections aren't forward enough to state their opinion like JR, but I have to respect his forwardness and ability to wish you luck no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by JR45 View Post
                Look, if this is the career path you want don't let me or anyone else discourage you from it. I made my comments based on my own personal experiences. Maybe I'm a little cynical after what I've seen go on in my Institution. Best of luck to you know mater what.
                Thank you for posting this..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4563 users online. 279 members and 4284 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X