300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman CO - any advice - CDCR or other

I've completed the process, but turned down the Sept 2 academy because the offer was only for Susanville CA (hoping for a Southern CA offer).

1) Do any of you have advice for a future woman co?
    a) advice for the up coming academy ( if correct, click the link below)?
    and/or
    b) advice for working with men or women inmates?

2) For all of those who are waiting for the next academy, I believe this link will help. If you cannot access this link, I've recorded the following dates .

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Employee_Reso..._Schedule.html

Adult (BCOA)
    Sept. 2 - Dec 19 (in progress)
    Nov 3 - Feb 20
    Jan 5 - Apr 24
    Mar 2 - Jun 26

Juvenile (BCJA)
    Oct 27 - Feb 13 (in progress)
    Dec 1 - Mar 20

Sorry can't give you any advice on the job but I have a question for you. I am also in the process just waiting for BG to complete. How long did it take you to complete the entire process? It does not appear to be a hard Job physically but it seems that mentally it can be tough. good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by baicon View Post
      Sorry can't give you any advice on the job but I have a question for you. I am also in the process just waiting for BG to complete. How long did it take you to complete the entire process? It does not appear to be a hard Job physically but it seems that mentally it can be tough. good luck to you
      It is tough anyway you want to slice it.

Mentally and physically. After you have been confronted by a 6'5 monster yielding a shank pointed at you.
      Your tune will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim K View Post
        It is tough anyway you want to slice it.

Mentally and physically. After you have been confronted by a 6'5 monster yielding a shank pointed at you.
        Your tune will change.
        +1
        Even if the thug is 5'2" and has a shank

There are times I come home mentally wasted and physcially shot.
        98% of the time the physcial thing is not a factor....but that 2% can be a problem.

Originally posted by PS3527 View Post
        I've completed the process, but turned down the Sept 2 academy because the offer was only for Susanville CA (hoping for a Southern CA offer).

1) Do any of you have advice for a future woman co?
        a) advice for the up coming academy ( if correct, click the link below)?
        and/or
        b) advice for working with men or women inmates?

There is plenty of advise already posted on this forum for those who want to come into corrections----Troll around the BigHouse forum and use the search function to see other advise.

If you have any specific questions don't be afraid to ask
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Read this:
          http://womenincorrections.blogspot.com/
          I wrote an article here, and although it is more instructional for men in corrections, it gives you an idea of what you may face. Good luck.

Comment

Stick to a female facility. That way you wont get somebody hurt. I know I'll catch grief from the females but they have know business in male facility. If something kicks off, all you you could do to help is call on the radio. You won't work the RHU you will work in the control center and wonder why everyone resents you.

Comment

baicon: It took 4 months after the written test to get my PAT. My PAT took 3 months to clear , BG 3 months, PEM 2 months, psy eval 2 months, and received a letter of completion 1 week later. I was pro-active, I called about my status routinely, and I kept a call log of who was who.

Everyone, thanks for the advice....
              Last edited by PS3527; 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by JR45 View Post
                Stick to a female facility. That way you wont get somebody hurt. I know I'll catch grief from the females but they have know business in male facility. If something kicks off, all you you could do to help is call on the radio. You won't work the RHU you will work in the control center and wonder why everyone resents you.
                It is people like you that get people hurt. We all go through the same training, EGOS make problems... BIG EGO's, are even more a problem. We had and have a few people (with ego's) and most of the issues they are involved with... Are because of what they say and how they say it to the inmates. But the difference is.. I am professional and don't let my opinion effect my job. I treat everyone the same. So even though that CO deserved to get thier butt kicked... Because THEY couldnt keep thier unprofessional mouth shut, we all get put in danger having to fight...anyway..We have men and women, old and yung, fat and skinny, white and black and everything in between all them...who should not have this job, mentally and/or physically!

As for advice. Let what the idiots say, (staff and inmates) go thru one ear and out the other. Yo need to deal with what they say, but don't let it bother you and DONT let it show if it does. Treat everyone with respect. But also... stand strong and be consistant on what you say and do. One thing all staff and inmates know. I need my job. I worked hard to get my job... and NO ONE will take it from me. I am not there to make friends ... inmate OR staff. I have friends. I won't go tell on someone, but If asked. I won't lie either. If an inmate asks me something (work related) and I don't know the answer. I won't say I will find out, if I do not intend on finding out.

FYI, I have worked at the state prison level and the county jail level and worked with both men and women for the past 18 years.

Comment

I knew I would catch grief from a few but I bet your co-workers dont feel the way you think they do Because they can get in trouble for saying you don't belong. Sorry, just the way things are.

Comment

I knew I would catch grief from a few but I bet your co-workers dont feel the way you think they do Because they can get in trouble for saying you don't belong. Sorry, just the way things are.
                    Sorry... I'm done and not going to get into a match with you... you can continue. I won't...

Comment

I'm Done......

Comment

I call bs JR45. I know plenty of females that I'd gladly fight alongside and do our job with. If a woman can hold her own, then good for her. But this isn't a solo field, we do things with partners. We either survive it together or go down together, there is no middle ground unless people are cowards.

Comment

Well it doesn't really matter what they think or you think, women have been, do and will continue to work in male correctional facitilities whether you like it or not and be effective in their jobs for many decades. Men continue to work in female facilities also, its the way it is.

PS3527 I wish you the best of luck and don't let comments like this discourage you, you put in for what you want to work and where you want to work.

Comment

JR45, I appreciate your honesty. I assume that it must be hard for the female c/o's who have you as a partner, because obviously you've predetermined 1 of 3 things: 1) the job is not going to get done effectively, 2) the both of you are going down on that shift or 3) you have to work harder to make up her so-called inability to perform the needed task with efficiency that she was trained for. As you know, our perceptions are influenced by past experiences... from childhood to career experiences.... thus concluding that some female (officer) burned you in the past.

Now remember, there’s a possibility that I'm wrong, just as well there’s a possibility that you are wrong. However, in our minds we are absolute and entitled to our opinion. So again I appreciate your opinion.
                            Last edited by PS3527; 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM.

Comment

If JR45's opinion discourages me, then I should think about another career path.
                              However, JR45 is one of thousands from top to the bottom of the food chain who has the same or even worst mindset. As a female obviosly, this is not a foreign encounter.

sgt809 - great article, thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6158 users online. 339 members and 5819 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X