Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self Defense for the job/Are you working out??Cause they are..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Defense for the job/Are you working out??Cause they are..

Hey guys/gals I know this subject has been brought up tons of times here in the forums BUT it's time to bring them up again.

Speaking directly to the prison CO's/jailers/guards/whatever you want to call yourself.

I always preach to my co-workers to work out regularly specially the ones who look out of shape and seem questionable (will he/she react if I get attacked).

Most inmates in California State prison have a manditory workout rule where they have to workout on a daily basis. Now with that being said these are the guys you have to control when they fight and these are the guys you have to fight when they decide to attack You or your partners. Do you think you are ready for that?? I know alot of you guys will say "bring it" but are you really ready?? Do you feel confident enough to fight for a long period of time and be some what affective??

Workout as much as possible and join a self defense class it never hurts to keep your tools sharp incase you CANT TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF IT. If you don't want to do it for yourself do it for your partners.

What's your workout routine??
    sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

I'm in process to be a CO, but right now been working out and i also run a karate dojo in San Diego.

Comment

working out

I am process in CO too.. I work out everyday since1 month ago.. Gain muscle and strengh is most important to self-defense your self and co-workers.

Comment

jkasandiego

jkasandiego how far are you from going to academy?

Comment

I'm about to be sworn in this coming week with my county, and I am a smaller guy. I'm 5'7", and I used to be really fat, but now I've leaned down. I have a small frame too, but I am extremely fast, have pretty good endurance, and because I was fat, I have a lot of leg strength for my size. I've worked out regularly, and while there are plenty of people in the jails more intimidating than myself, I feel fairly confident about most people that I don't feel like I couldn't at least keep the situation under control until assistance arrived. That's assuming I didn't take them down within the first few seconds of the scuffle anyway .

Comment

Just remember it's not all about how strong you are physically, learn to use the biggest weapon we all have our mouth. Just remember that future Rookies, just because you can punch holes in walls isn't everything, learn to use verbal judo to difuse most situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
              Just remember it's not all about how strong you are physically, learn to use the biggest weapon we all have our mouth. Just remember that future Rookies, just because you can punch holes in walls isn't everything, learn to use verbal judo to difuse most situations.
              Gosh-------------this from Stewie!!!!

Hey neighbor, you must be learning a few things working the cellblock! It seems like just yesterday you were giving advise about just knocking their blocks off (lol----Stewie just kidding)---Experience is great isn't it!
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Hehe Iowa I know I'm changing! But in all seriousness when I was a rookie I was all about smashing heads, but really it's only a small part of this job. Our goal is always voluntary compliance, and we do that via verbal judo and once you get good at it you don't need to be a brute.

Comment

i work out M-F, and on the weekends ill hit the local H.S. Track if the weather is good. at 6"5" 255lbs. im one of the largest guys that work at my jail, compared to officers and inmates. It is important to remember to keep your cardio up. can't stress that enough. just becuase you can bench 450lbs, if you can't stay in a fight longer than 20 SECS cause your sucking wind, don't even show up, because now your a liability to me and the other officers involved.

i hit the treadmill for 30-45 minutes, then do workouts that involve my own weight i.e. pushups, chinups, pullups, etc. next day is the stationary bike for 25 minutes and the heavy weights i.e. bench, curls, etc.

having said all that, ive never been attacked (thankfully) and thats normally because of my mouth. if an inmate is angry enough it doesnt matter what size you are he WILL strike you if it gets to that level. if you can stay calm and control the situation i find that most of the time the guy will calm down and then you can call for backup and get your fellow officers involved to move him to seg.
                  WE DON'T GET PAID TO LOSE

"Be nice, until it's time NOT to be nice" ~ Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse

Comment

Cardio is the major thing. You can be as strong as a bull moose but if you are sucking wind after a few seconds it will go quickly downhill from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
                      While I probably have the "rookie-itis" mentality, I do realize that confrontation is the LAST thing I want. I'd much rather not have to fight, and be able to defuse the situation with words than get involved in a fight. As fiery as I am, I'd much rather make it home to my wife in one piece, without any bites/being spit on, and no new scars . Thanks for the advice! Plus, the fact that I AM smaller, means I want to rely on my mouth, attitude, and mindset than my strength .

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
                        While I probably have the "rookie-itis" mentality, I do realize that confrontation is the LAST thing I want. I'd much rather not have to fight, and be able to defuse the situation with words than get involved in a fight. As fiery as I am, I'd much rather make it home to my wife in one piece, without any bites/being spit on, and no new scars . Thanks for the advice! Plus, the fact that I AM smaller, means I want to rely on my mouth, attitude, and mindset than my strength .
                        I too am on the small side @ 5'7" 140lbs for most of my career.
                        At 20 when I started in the joint, I had a temper and a smart mouth. Working and walking the yard taught me to temper my mouth FAST.
                        That served me well when I later went into police work.
                        By the time I got back into Corrections---I was much more mature and steady.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Im about 5'9.555555 dammm I should of rounded off to 6'0 but oh well - 220lbs I carry it well . Just turned 34yrs old-I could see the tip of the hill already

I work out 4-5 a week if work and family permits.

Have done a few things boxing 14yrs-Thai boxing 3yrs-freestyle for 3yrs-Judo for a few months-and presently Krav Maga which is a mixture of Boxing,Thai boxing and some ground work. It consist of alot of cardio and being able to perform when extremely fatigued which is a plus for CO's. I am aware that if not practiced correctly at work the above mentioned could get you in big trouble BUT if you are under attack and you have them (i/m's) on you and can't get to your employee weapons if any, you HAVE to go back to what you know for your safety which should come first.

I run about 3-4 times a week 2-3 miles with some small hills (knees crackling). If I dont have time to go to the gym I do the lazy mans workout. Which consist of watching a 1hr show on TV (sports) running in place while doing push-ups and jumping jacks in between. I usually get in about 500-1000 push ups depending on how I feel.

Hey guys and gals just do something 2-3 times anything helps.

**If you are not good at Verbal JUDO you better get good at it or you will not be doing this job very long.

Stay safe out there and watch your partners backs.

Comment

Well, I just started two days ago, and have had two full days of on the job training thus far. So far, it's as I expected. Mostly, the inmates are here to just do their time, and are nice about it. I treat them like they are, people. And unless they act up and a fool, there is no need to react any differently. I love the work so far, but I am ALWAYS on the ready for action, if the need for action arises .

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
                              Well, I just started two days ago, and have had two full days of on the job training thus far. So far, it's as I expected. Mostly, the inmates are here to just do their time, and are nice about it. I treat them like they are, people. And unless they act up and a fool, there is no need to react any differently. I love the work so far, but I am ALWAYS on the ready for action, if the need for action arises .
                              Good mentality - always stay at the ready do not get to relaxed. Because when they get you to be really relaxed after a week, a year or 5 years that is when they get you. Stay on your toes always and do not ever forget who they are. Yes they are people but dangerous people many with nothing to lose. You will love this job - Be safe -

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6144 users online. 330 members and 5814 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X